Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Alissa Czisny is guaranteed TWO GP events because she finished in the top 12 at Worlds. So there is no need for the USFS to give her a SA host pick.
    Oh, OK. Thanks for answering my question.

I wasn't sure where she stood since she was out of the top 10. But I'm almost sure SA will be one of her events since the reigning US champ traditionally gets SA anyway. Have SA be her, Flatt and Zhang.

What about the up-and-coming Americans? Any of them getting GPs?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    What about the up-and-coming Americans? Any of them getting GPs?
    As per the first post in this thread (Sylvia's), the JGPF and JW medalists should get GP assignments - I believe they're guaranteed at least one if they turn senior.

Americans in this category include: Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Richard Dornbush, Becky Bereswill, Alexe Gilles, Castelli/Shnapir; Chock/Zuerlein and Hubbell/Hubbell. Adam Rippon had two senior GPs last season and won Junior Worlds, I'm sure he'll be in two GPs again. The Shibutanis medalled at Junior Worlds but Maia is very young and US dance is so tough right now, they'll probably stay junior.

And yes, I know you only care about the ladies. But I can't write a post entirely about American baby ballerinas .

Down With It
    Thanks. I may have asked this before but I forgot. I'll bold the ladies' names for my own reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    As per the first post in this thread (Sylvia's), the JGPF and JW medalists should get GP assignments - I believe they're guaranteed at least one if they turn senior.

Americans in this category include: Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Richard Dornbush, Becky Bereswill, Alexe Gilles, Castelli/Shnapir; Chock/Zuerlein and Hubbell/Hubbell. Adam Rippon had two senior GPs last season and won Junior Worlds, I'm sure he'll be in two GPs again. The Shibutanis medalled at Junior Worlds but Maia is very young and US dance is so tough right now, they'll probably stay junior.

And yes, I know you only care about the ladies. But I can't write a post entirely about American baby ballerinas .

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Every Fed has the ability to invite weak skaters. Why not. It's within the Rules. No?

As to TEB, France has a powerhouse of male skaters; Joubert, Ponsero, Preaubert. If they all hit, wo to the invitees: Liebers, Griazev, Urbas, Bradley, Gao, Schultheiss, Zelenka, Mura and Nanri.
    (just speculating. Feds can play the game.)
    I just can't get into this way of looking at a sporting event.

Let's invite the weakest possible skaters we can find and put on the worst competition that we are allowed, under the rules.

If the federations really do think this way, the skaters at the bottom of the list are going to be in great demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

Let's invite the weakest possible skaters we can find and put on the worst competition that we are allowed, under the rules.

If the federations really do think this way, the skaters at the bottom of the list are going to be in great demand.
    I don't like it, but I understand it as a strategic decision. For instance: FFSG doesn't know if Del/Schoe will come back in time for Olys, and needs to set up P/B as medal contenders for the coming season. TEB is the first GP of the year, IIRC. What's the best way to get Nathalie and Fabian off to a good start? (and considering how they began the 2008-9 season, they might need some help). Of course, the top three teams at Worlds are injury-prone, so D/W, P/B and K/N might end up facing somewhat diluted fields.

Example 2: If the Plushy comeback materializes, who would the Russian federation want to bring over to face him at CoR? The people he'd have an easier time defeating, or the top guys, so that if he wins it sends a message? Or what about the Japanese Federation - will they try to have Dai against a field that's not too deep in what might be his first event coming back from injury? I can't answer in regard to those two, BTW.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 05-04-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

If that's the case, nobody will want Caroline. :sheesh:

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    If that's the case, nobody will want Caroline. :sheesh:
    Cup of China and TEB might want her. Neither fed has competitive ladies.

This whole discussion is depressing to me.

Is there any other sport that tells the athletes, no, you can't compete in my tournament because you are too good -- you might beat my fair-haired boy?

Cheer up, MM - If all the Feds select lesser contenders, they will also have to select the top contenders eventually in line with the draw. But, of course, much has to do with the Division they are much concerned about.

There is only one segment of the Grand Prix that has the overwhelming value, and that is the FINAL

I say, let Rachael be assigned to SA with Mirai as a backup, and have Caroline fend for herself in two other GPs. I can see her in CoC and CoR for at least one gold. Hopefully Japan does not get her because their course of action will be to get her out of contention with their group of skaters.

I feel like a high school football coach sending in different players to the Game.

Custom Title
    No doubt NHK will have Miki and Mao for sure. The 3rd spot could either go to Nakano, Suguri or Akiko. Seem like it's going to be the toughest ladies field GP series.

Custom Title
    I can see [ Caroline ] in CoC and CoR for at least one gold. Hopefully Japan does not get her because their course of action will be to get her out of contention with their group of skaters.
    I'm not so sure. Caroline had beaten every major Japanese girl except Mao. OK, Miki was injured at the Team Trophy. So even if the full might and fury of the Japanese ladies' stable is brought to bear against Caroline, she has a chance at silver or bronze. Then a silver, or possibly gold at another event, and she is in the Final.

Custom Title
    Alissa Czisny is guaranteed TWO GP events because she finished in the top 12 at Worlds. So there is no need for the USFS to give her a SA host pick.
    Ah - I didn't know the cut off. Thanks.

Michelle could be sent to a GP and/or a "B" International instead of Regionals and/or Sectionals. The USFS has been known to do that for favored skaters (Emily Hughes went to TEB last year and didn't have to do Sectionals).
    But as discussed in this thread already would that have been the organisers at TEB that picked Emily from the seasons best list rather than USFS "sending" her?

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    But as discussed in this thread already would that have been the organisers at TEB that picked Emily from the seasons best list rather than USFS "sending" her?

Ant
    I believe Chuckum explained it well and Emily was not chosen by the USFS to skate at SA. A Fed has to choose skaters for being the Host. Emily was busy with university at the time. After the World podium, and 4-6 World finishers are placed in two GP event. Podium skaters and 4-6 skaters are generally regarded by their Host Countries to have first crack at selection I believe the rest is by draw. No? anyone?

Then the Host Countries select their teams of three. (this is where a bit of strategy can take place.)

Then there is another Draw for selections up to 12 for Singles All Host countries now have 5 places filled and will choose 7 more of the qualifiers according to the ISU Listing.

Expect lots of changes until the competitions.

I know we will know the date of the Drawings eventually, but will we know the order of selection?

I believe Chuckum explained it well and Emily was not chosen by the USFS to skate at SA. A Fed has to choose skaters for being the Host. Emily was busy with university at the time. After the World podium, and 4-6 World finishers are placed in two GP event. Podium skaters and 4-6 skaters are generally regarded by their Host Countries to have first crack at selection I believe the rest is by draw. No? anyone?

Then the Host Countries select their teams of three. (this is where a bit of strategy can take place.)

Then there is another Draw for selections up to 12 for Singles All Host countries now have 5 places filled and will choose 7 more of the qualifiers according to the ISU Listing.

Expect lots of changes until the competitions.

I know we will know the date of the Drawings eventually, but will we know the order of selection?
    Which is exactly why the USFSA doesn't "send" anyone to the GP to help them avoid regionals or sectionals. It's out of their control and down to whatever process is in place for selction of skaters out of the top 6 at worlds.

Ant

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast