Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Thread: 2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    oh this immediate time-zone service!
    thank you!
    i m GMT +1 , it is 20h here!
    Last edited by seniorita; 05-30-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Custom Title
    I am really really anxious for the results...

Down With It

Down With It
    You guys were right about SA: It's Cohen, Flatt and TBD.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    And Sasha does Paris (along with everyone else). Oh, I wish I could be there!

I'm really not too excited about the singles lineup at SA, aside from Sasha.

Medalist

News

From the USFSA main page:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=43093

Skate America – Lake Placid, N.Y. – Nov. 12-15
    Ladies - Sasha Cohen, Rachael Flatt, TBD
    Men's - Ryan Bradley, Evan Lysacek
    Pairs - Keauna McLaughlin & Rockne Brubaker, TBD, TBD
    Ice Dancing - Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, Madison Chock & Greg Zuerlein, Kim Navarro & Brent Bommentre

Trophée Eric Bompard – Paris, France – Oct. 15-18
    Ladies - Sasha Cohen, Alexe Gilles, Caroline Zhang
    Men's - Ryan Bradley, Adam Rippon
    Pairs - Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir, Kim Navarro & Brent Bommentre
    Ice Dancing - Madison Hubbell & Keiffer Hubbell, Emily Samuelson & Evan Bates

Rostlecom Cup – Moscow, Russia – Oct. 22-25
    Ladies - Alissa Czisny, Kimmie Meissner, Ashley Wagner
    Men's - Brandon Mroz, Johnny Weir
    Pairs - Keauna McLaughlin & Rockne Brubaker
    Ice Dancing - Meryl Davis & Charlie White

Cup of China – Beijing, China – Oct. 29-Nov. 1
    Ladies - Rachael Flatt, Bebe Liang, Mirai Nagasu
    Men's - Stephen Carriere, Evan Lysacek, Armin Mahbanoozadeh
    Pairs - Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig
    Ice Dancing - Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, Madison Chock & Greg Zuerlein

NHK Trophy – Nagano, Japan – Nov. 5-8
    Ladies - Becky Bereswill, Kimmie Meissner, Ashley Wagner
    Men's - Jeremy Abbott, Adam Rippon, Johnny Weir
    Pairs - Caydee Denney & Jeremy Barrett, Rena Inoue & John Baldwin
    Ice Dancing - Meryl Davis & Charlie White, Jane Summersett & Todd Gilles

Skate Canada – Kitchener, Ontario, Canada – Nov. 19-22
    Ladies - Alissa Czisny, Mirai Nagasu, Caroline Zhang
    Men's - Jeremy Abbott, Stephen Carriere, Armin Mahbanoozadeh
    Pairs - Caydee Denney & Jeremy Barrett, Caitlin Yankowskas & John Coughlin
    Ice Dancing - Madison Hubbell & Keiffer Hubbell, Emily Samuelson & Evan Bates
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-31-2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Acknowledge source and add link

This is exactly how I predicted what Sasha would get, yet others said it was against the rules. Now tell me, what is the Rule for 2 GPs?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    This is exactly how I predicted what Sasha would get, yet others said it was against the rules. Now tell me, what is the Rule for 2 GPs?
    Don't we all wish we knew? That I believe is the unsolved mystery of the ages.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Rule 43FG57HYU786M - Beautiful, charismatic, photogenic, famous and popular skaters get 2 events.

Custom Title
    I don't believe the ISU is doing Sasha any kind of favor in giving her TEB. She's been away from competition for more than three years, skating in exhibitions. The only jumps she's done in exhibition are 3T and 3S, and not even landing them consistently.

She has tendonitis in her foot, and she has just 4.5 months to get back the loop, lutz and flip. Then she has to be able to do those jumps in the context of a 4-minute FS with more difficult spins and footwork than she has been doing on tour.

I would not be surprised to see Sasha withdraw from TEB with a real injury.

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I don't believe the ISU is doing Sasha any kind of favor in giving her TEB. She's been away from competition for more than three years, skating in exhibitions. The only jumps she's done in exhibition are 3T and 3S, and not even landing them consistently.

She has tendonitis in her foot, and she has just 4.5 months to get back the loop, lutz and flip. Then she has to be able to do those jumps in the context of a 4-minute FS with more difficult spins and footwork than she has been doing on tour.

I would not be surprised to see Sasha withdraw from TEB with a real injury.
    How about you try to not be a Debbie Downer for once, okay? Apparently Sasha has been seen landing all of her triples (including a 3-3) by her fellow SOI companions. It's not like she hasn't left the ice completely, just sat at home, and then decided, "Oh, maybe I should try skating again."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HCOSurfer View Post
    How about you try to not be a Debbie Downer for once, okay? Apparently Sasha has been seen landing all of her triples (including a 3-3) by her fellow SOI companions. It's not like she hasn't left the ice completely, just sat at home, and then decided, "Oh, maybe I should try skating again."
    Landing isolated jumps in practice is NOT the same as landing 6 or 7 of them in the context of a competitive program. There is a huge stamina issue, and IMO, 4-5 months of training isn't going to be enough to overcome that.

Furthermore, Sasha has not been landing the simpler jumps consistently in exhibition programs that she's done day in and day out for 6 months. If nerves are a factor in her tour appearances, they will be an even bigger factor in competition. Sasha is a lovely and stylish skater, but she's never been known to be a strong competitor.

Custom Title
    Sasha is going to have to work hard. RA is going to have to get Sasha to do run-throughs of both of her programs as often as he can get her do them. And Pray for no major injury. Sasha doesn't need to be 100% at TEB. She needs to be 100% at Nationals and, if she qualifies, at the Olympics.

And early in the year Sasha was landing her jumps consistently (though I admit not perfectly). Then something happened in I think March making her jumps hit and miss. Sasha hardly spent time with a coach in the later part of the season unlike the early half and she got tendinitis in her foot.

I have no idea if Sasha can be ready for any of her events but I have my fingers's crossed.
    Last edited by tarotx; 05-31-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Down With It
    Even the staunch Cohen fans must admit, Chuck has a valid point, and a very strong one IMO. Can she at least hold her own out there? I'd think even if she doesn't get injured, she'd want to avoid showing up at TEB like Emily Hughes last year, who clearly wasn't prepared to perform like she was capable of.

But all this is missing the bigger picture, and that is, which skater will set herself up best for the Olympic games?

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    And Sasha does Paris (along with everyone else). Oh, I wish I could be there!

I'm really not too excited about the singles lineup at SA, aside from Sasha.
    I agree TEB, the first one, is probably the most exciting one to watch LIVE: Kim, Asada, Kostner, Korpi and Cohen.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28