2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Cohen could tell USFS to go ahead and submit her name, without actually committing to compete in the GP. Of course, the USFS doesn't have to do so.

IMO, given the way Sasha's still missing simple jumps in SOI and CSOI, Sasha won't be coming back anyway.

GP assignments will be an interesting final indicator of whether Sasha plans to come back or not. Your pessimism is boring and unoriginal.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
GP assignments will be an interesting final indicator of whether Sasha plans to come back or not. Your pessimism is boring and unoriginal.

Pessimism has to be original? Who knew? :biggrin:

GP assignments don't necessarily mean anything. Sasha's been assigned to GP events in the past and withdrew with injury many times. She could do that again.

^ Still, the USFSA could pull a coup by listing their thrid Skate America lady as as "TBA" -- wink, wink -- is it Michelle or Sasha? Tune in next November and find out! :clap:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
As I understand the rules, Sasha and Michelle have a different drop-deadline. If Michelle wants to go the Olympics, she must go to Nationals, ( OK, I know there is a new rule in effect that says National medallists don't automatically go to Olympics. But there is no way on earth the USFSA will send Michelle if she doesn't compete at Nationals. ) This means she must either go to her sectional and regional, or go to the Grand Prix. The deadline to sign up for a regional is ( I believe ) sometime in August, and for the GP, probably sooner. So in about 3 1/2 months, Michelle's coyness and evasive answers come to a screeching, shuddering halt.

Sasha's situation is different. She is a medallist from the last Olympics. So she gets a by to Nationals. She could still compete in the GP if she wishes.

So in about 3 1/2 months, Michelle's coyness and evasive answers come to a screeching, shuddering halt.

I don't know why, but that tickled me. Are you saying that Sasha's coyness and evasive answers won't won't have to come to a screeching halt until January? :)

And Plushenko has right up until the opening ceremonues to be coy and evasive! :rock: [/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
As I understand the rules, Sasha and Michelle have a different drop-deadline. If Michelle wants to go the Olympics, she must go to Nationals...Sasha's situation is different. She is a medalist from the last Olympics. So she gets a bye to Nationals.

I'm trying to find the difference there??

Neither Sasha nor Michelle would be sent to the Oly's without medalling at Nationals. Too many talented girls and only 2 spots for them.

I certainly hope Sasha announces this summer whether she is coming back, because the only way I'd go all the way out to Washington state is if she was attempting a comeback. The other girls I've seen compete in person already. Only seen Sasha at a cheesefest, never in real competition.

Shall we keep this thread a Sasha May Return discussion? Its been more than a week since we discussed it among many threads previously.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Unless she announces she isn't returning, she's still one of our top potential contenders next season, and it's relevant since it will be interesting to see what happens with assignments, if they actually end up doing a "TBA" or if it even forces Sasha to finally announce something definitive one way or the other. Getting huffy won't really change that. But you can discuss whatever you want.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle could be sent to a GP and/or a "B" International instead of Regionals and/or Sectionals. The USFS has been known to do that for favored skaters (Emily Hughes went to TEB last year and didn't have to do Sectionals).

R.D.

Record Breaker
Shall we keep this thread a Sasha May Return discussion? Its been more than a week since we discussed it among many threads previously.

yeah, it's only the 2,094th one we've had this season. :rolleye:

There's not too much to say until the selections have been made, and that's in about 4 weeks. I think the more important questions are whether some new (upcoming!) US ladies will appear in the GP this year. I think it's already a given that Flatt and Zhang will get two. Isn't Czisny eligible for one as well?

merrybari

Final Flight
If Alissa is elegible for one on her own, so to speak, seems possible that USFS would choose her for SA - she is after all the National champion. That would free her up to be a choice for another host country for her other "one" spot, for a total of two. At least I think that's the way it works. Someone can correct me if I misunderstand the system.

Meanwhile, we wait!

If Alissa is elegible for one on her own, so to speak, seems possible that USFS would choose her for SA - she is after all the National champion. That would free her up to be a choice for another host country for her other "one" spot, for a total of two. At least I think that's the way it works. Someone can correct me if I misunderstand the system.

Meanwhile, we wait!
I would say you are correct, especially about 'wait'.

I agree she schould get SA as the reigning National Champ. I think it is up to the ISU list to see if she gets 2. However, I doubt anyone from the USA will go to the Finals if there is a 4th place before SA takes place. Maybe third will not work either. SA is later this year followed by SC

Possible Results

Mao - 30 points
Kim - 30
Joannie - 28
Yukari - 28
Carolina - 26
Laura - 26

The above example will follow last year's tally. However, in place of Lepisto, there could be a tie with Suguri, Zhang, Flatt, and Nagasu if she gets 2. I would not rule out Leonova who is quite consistent and as we know, clean programs get high PC scores.

After we wait, we will see.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alissa Czisny is guaranteed TWO GP events because she finished in the top 12 at Worlds. So there is no need for the USFS to give her a SA host pick.

I would not rule out Leonova who is quite consistent and as we know, clean programs get high PC scores.

If Russia is adopting the strategy of only inviting skaters that their skaters can beat, they could go with Lepisto from 4-6 and Czisny. This would give them two popular skaters, one the European champion and the other the American champion, and Leonova might beat them both and get silver at Cup of Russia.

At Eric Bompard, in ladies France doesn't really have a horse in the race. Their best strategy would be to make a deal with someone to secure help for Joubert and their dance teams.

If Russia is adopting the strategy of only inviting skaters that their skaters can beat, they could go with Lepisto from 4-6 and Czisny. This would give them two popular skaters, one the European champion and the other the American champion, and Leonova might beat them both and get silver at Cup of Russia.

At Eric Bompard, in ladies France doesn't really have a horse in the race. Their best strategy would be to make a deal with someone to secure help for Joubert and their dance teams.
Every Fed has the ability to invite weak skaters. Why not. It's within the Rules. No?

As to TEB, France has a powerhouse of male skaters; Joubert, Ponsero, Preaubert. If they all hit, wo to the invitees: Liebers, Griazev, Urbas, Bradley, Gao, Schultheiss, Zelenka, Mura and Nanri.
(just speculating. Feds can play the game.)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Alissa Czisny is guaranteed TWO GP events because she finished in the top 12 at Worlds. So there is no need for the USFS to give her a SA host pick.

Oh, OK. Thanks for answering my question.

I wasn't sure where she stood since she was out of the top 10. But I'm almost sure SA will be one of her events since the reigning US champ traditionally gets SA anyway. Have SA be her, Flatt and Zhang.

What about the up-and-coming Americans? Any of them getting GPs?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
What about the up-and-coming Americans? Any of them getting GPs?
As per the first post in this thread (Sylvia's), the JGPF and JW medalists should get GP assignments - I believe they're guaranteed at least one if they turn senior.

Americans in this category include: Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Richard Dornbush, Becky Bereswill, Alexe Gilles, Castelli/Shnapir; Chock/Zuerlein and Hubbell/Hubbell. Adam Rippon had two senior GPs last season and won Junior Worlds, I'm sure he'll be in two GPs again. The Shibutanis medalled at Junior Worlds but Maia is very young and US dance is so tough right now, they'll probably stay junior.

And yes, I know you only care about the ladies. But I can't write a post entirely about American baby ballerinas ;).

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks. I may have asked this before but I forgot. I'll bold the ladies' names for my own reference. ;)

As per the first post in this thread (Sylvia's), the JGPF and JW medalists should get GP assignments - I believe they're guaranteed at least one if they turn senior.

Americans in this category include: Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Richard Dornbush, Becky Bereswill, Alexe Gilles, Castelli/Shnapir; Chock/Zuerlein and Hubbell/Hubbell. Adam Rippon had two senior GPs last season and won Junior Worlds, I'm sure he'll be in two GPs again. The Shibutanis medalled at Junior Worlds but Maia is very young and US dance is so tough right now, they'll probably stay junior.

And yes, I know you only care about the ladies. But I can't write a post entirely about American baby ballerinas ;).

Every Fed has the ability to invite weak skaters. Why not. It's within the Rules. No?

As to TEB, France has a powerhouse of male skaters; Joubert, Ponsero, Preaubert. If they all hit, wo to the invitees: Liebers, Griazev, Urbas, Bradley, Gao, Schultheiss, Zelenka, Mura and Nanri.
(just speculating. Feds can play the game.)

I just can't get into this way of looking at a sporting event.

Let's invite the weakest possible skaters we can find and put on the worst competition that we are allowed, under the rules.

If the federations really do think this way, the skaters at the bottom of the list are going to be in great demand.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I just can't get into this way of looking at a sporting event.

Let's invite the weakest possible skaters we can find and put on the worst competition that we are allowed, under the rules.

If the federations really do think this way, the skaters at the bottom of the list are going to be in great demand.
I don't like it, but I understand it as a strategic decision. For instance: FFSG doesn't know if Del/Schoe will come back in time for Olys, and needs to set up P/B as medal contenders for the coming season. TEB is the first GP of the year, IIRC. What's the best way to get Nathalie and Fabian off to a good start? (and considering how they began the 2008-9 season, they might need some help). Of course, the top three teams at Worlds are injury-prone, so D/W, P/B and K/N might end up facing somewhat diluted fields.

Example 2: If the Plushy comeback materializes, who would the Russian federation want to bring over to face him at CoR? The people he'd have an easier time defeating, or the top guys, so that if he wins it sends a message? Or what about the Japanese Federation - will they try to have Dai against a field that's not too deep in what might be his first event coming back from injury? I can't answer in regard to those two, BTW.

Last edited: