2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I just can't get into this way of looking at a sporting event.

Let's invite the weakest possible skaters we can find and put on the worst competition that we are allowed, under the rules.

If the federations really do think this way, the skaters at the bottom of the list are going to be in great demand.

If that's the case, nobody will want Caroline. :sheesh:

This whole discussion is depressing to me.

Is there any other sport that tells the athletes, no, you can't compete in my tournament because you are too good -- you might beat my fair-haired boy?

Cheer up, MM - If all the Feds select lesser contenders, they will also have to select the top contenders eventually in line with the draw. But, of course, much has to do with the Division they are much concerned about.

There is only one segment of the Grand Prix that has the overwhelming value, and that is the FINAL

I say, let Rachael be assigned to SA with Mirai as a backup, and have Caroline fend for herself in two other GPs. I can see her in CoC and CoR for at least one gold. Hopefully Japan does not get her because their course of action will be to get her out of contention with their group of skaters.

:rolleye::think::confused: I feel like a high school football coach sending in different players to the Game.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
No doubt NHK will have Miki and Mao for sure. The 3rd spot could either go to Nakano, Suguri or Akiko. Seem like it's going to be the toughest ladies field GP series.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I can see [ Caroline ] in CoC and CoR for at least one gold. Hopefully Japan does not get her because their course of action will be to get her out of contention with their group of skaters.

I'm not so sure. Caroline had beaten every major Japanese girl except Mao. OK, Miki was injured at the Team Trophy. So even if the full might and fury of the Japanese ladies' stable is brought to bear against Caroline, she has a chance at silver or bronze. Then a silver, or possibly gold at another event, and she is in the Final.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Michelle could be sent to a GP and/or a "B" International instead of Regionals and/or Sectionals. The USFS has been known to do that for favored skaters (Emily Hughes went to TEB last year and didn't have to do Sectionals).

But as discussed in this thread already would that have been the organisers at TEB that picked Emily from the seasons best list rather than USFS "sending" her?

Ant

But as discussed in this thread already would that have been the organisers at TEB that picked Emily from the seasons best list rather than USFS "sending" her?

Ant
I believe Chuckum explained it well and Emily was not chosen by the USFS to skate at SA. A Fed has to choose skaters for being the Host. Emily was busy with university at the time. After the World podium, and 4-6 World finishers are placed in two GP event. Podium skaters and 4-6 skaters are generally regarded by their Host Countries to have first crack at selection I believe the rest is by draw. No? anyone?

Then the Host Countries select their teams of three. (this is where a bit of strategy can take place.)

Then there is another Draw for selections up to 12 for Singles All Host countries now have 5 places filled and will choose 7 more of the qualifiers according to the ISU Listing.

Expect lots of changes until the competitions.

I know we will know the date of the Drawings eventually, but will we know the order of selection?

antmanb

Record Breaker
I believe Chuckum explained it well and Emily was not chosen by the USFS to skate at SA. A Fed has to choose skaters for being the Host. Emily was busy with university at the time. After the World podium, and 4-6 World finishers are placed in two GP event. Podium skaters and 4-6 skaters are generally regarded by their Host Countries to have first crack at selection I believe the rest is by draw. No? anyone?

Then the Host Countries select their teams of three. (this is where a bit of strategy can take place.)

Then there is another Draw for selections up to 12 for Singles All Host countries now have 5 places filled and will choose 7 more of the qualifiers according to the ISU Listing.

Expect lots of changes until the competitions.

I know we will know the date of the Drawings eventually, but will we know the order of selection?

Which is exactly why the USFSA doesn't "send" anyone to the GP to help them avoid regionals or sectionals. It's out of their control and down to whatever process is in place for selction of skaters out of the top 6 at worlds.

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Normally, Skate America is in October---right around the time of Regionals. This year, Skate America just happens to be right around the time of Sectionals. So the USFS can use the host pick to exempt a skater from one of the Nationals preps.

For Regionals, the USFS could send a skater to an International "B": Finlandia (10/8 -11) or Ice Challege (10/22-25)

BTW, host picks come FIRST in the GP selection process, before the seed picks. That allows the hosts to pick their own skaters who happen to be seeded for the GP.

Last edited:

Sylvia reported above (posst 44) that the meeting for the draw will take place May 28-30.

As far as I know the ISU never reveals the draw order. I for one would be very interested in knowing what the order was.

I would be curious to see, for instance, if Mao Asada is the last one chosen from 4-6 because everyone is afraid of her :disagree:, or whether she is the first chosen because organizing committees are trying to get the best available skaters for their events.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I would be curious to see, for instance, if Mao Asada is the last one chosen from 4-6 because everyone is afraid of her :disagree:, or whether she is the first chosen because organizing committees are trying to get the best available skaters for their events.
4-6 would be Mao, Rachael and Laura, right? Here's my guess, then: Mao will go to NHK and TEB, just like last season; Rachael will get SA and CoC, and Laura will go to CoR and SC. No way does the Japanese federation not get Mao for NHK, while at TEB, none of the French ladies are really that competitive anyway so they'll want a major draw. Maybe they should aim to have Mao and Yu-Na :cool:!

I imagine USFSA will definitely want Rachael at SA, and Skate Canada will prefer to help Joannie have a good GP showing in the Olympic season so they'll get Lepisto in there. That leaves CoR and CoC, and since Finland is near Russia, I figure Laura will end up there (which also works for the Russian Fed, as Leonova could defeat her). But who knows. Maybe Mao will end up skating at CoR.

Last edited:
^^^
France has top male skaters and 2 super dance teams. I don't think they care about the Ladies so much. There is enough interest in Paris to draw a skating crowd.

If France does not get to choose Mao because they drew last on the Draw, then someone like China or Russia could well be interested in selecting Mao.

...Skate Canada will prefer to help Joannie have a good GP showing in the Olympic season so they'll get Lepisto in there.

Here is the funny thing to me. Skate Canada might get the short straw in the draw and be last to pick. When it comes their turn, maybe there is no one left except Mao, and they have to take her, thus foiling the plan to arrange a cakewalk for Joannie.

But this never seems to happen. I suppose Skate Canada would approach one of the other federations (France or China) and ask them to take Mao off the table and leave Lepesto. What favor would Canada then do in repayment?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I suppose Skate Canada would approach one of the other federations (France or China) and ask them to take Mao off the table and leave Lepesto. What favor would Canada then do in repayment?

Invite Candice Didier or Binshu Xu.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I don't know that Canadians want to arrange a cakewalk for Joannie. I keep hearing all this talk about how ratings are down for Canadian skating. They have to make it interesting.

Then again, if they want to make it easy for Joannie, they could invite some scrub who didn't even make to the World Championship ..................

................... like Caroline. :laugh:

I hope Alissa gets Skate Canada. She alsways does well there.

Plus, last year she peaked at U.S. Nationals, but then ran out of steam. Maybe that is because she started so early, with U.S. Collegiates in August, and did a lot of skating early in the season. This season she could pace herself, do Skate America and Skate Canada as the last two Grand Prix events, then cruise on to U.S. Nationals and ...beyond! :yes:

merrybari

Final Flight
I hope Alissa gets Skate Canada. She always does well there.

Plus, last year she peaked at U.S. Nationals, but then ran out of steam. Maybe that is because she started so early, with U.S. Collegiates in August, and did a lot of skating early in the season. This season she could pace herself, do Skate America and Skate Canada as the last two Grand Prix events, then cruise on to U.S. Nationals and ...beyond! :yes:

:agree: I like your thinking. I'm pulling for this season to be one in which she builds on her Nationals success and come into her own. Go Alissa!!