2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
If Meissner also receives an invitation from another federation, then she would have two GPs. But remember, host picks happen first, so there is no obligation for another federation to invite her once she is picked by the USFS.

Despite people's excellent attempts to explain the GP process :clap:, I'm still not sure I have all the convolutions straight. Regardless, Kimmie is a former World Champion, so I think it likely she will get a 2nd event. Caroline medalled at the last GP, and did well in her next 3 ISU events. So I can't believe she would not get a 2nd event. Sasha, I'm not sure about.

Despite people's excellent attempts to explain the GP process :clap:, I'm still not sure I have all the convolutions straight. Regardless, Kimmie is a former World Champion, so I think it likely she will get a 2nd event. Caroline medalled at the last GP, and did well in her next 3 ISU events. So I can't believe she would not get a 2nd event. Sasha, I'm not sure about.
Sasha just has to wait for the decision by the ISU. the USFS has nothing to do with Sasha's skating in the GPs until that happens. It's possible if the ISU bends the rule of not skating by no fault of her own.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Amanda Dobbs is skating pairs?
Yes, according to someone who posted at FSU. Dobbs has previously competed in pairs -- she skated several seasons with Chris Trefil and they placed 5th in Novice at 2006 U.S. Nationals before splitting later that summer. Don't yet know if she plans to continue in singles this season (if so, she's likely to be a JGP alternate).

As for the U.S. ladies' Senior Grand Prix assignments last season, Meissner and Liang were guaranteed 2 apiece because they placed in the top 12 at 2008 Worlds. Five others received 2 GPs initially:
Flatt (top 24 in World Standings & Season Best scores, Jr. World & JGP Final medalist) Nagasu (top 24 in WS & SB, Jr. World & JGP Final medalist), Zhang (top 24 in WS & SB, Jr. World medalist), Wagner (top 24 in WS & SB), and Hacker (top 24 in SB).

Hughes (top 24 in WS & SB) and Czisny (#35 in WS & #29 in SB) received 1 GP apiece in the initial selection round (Czisny later received a 2nd as a last-minute Cup of Russia alternate). So the U.S. ladies received a total of 16 slots initially out of a maximum of 18 slots last year and 17 total.

Sasha just has to wait for the decision by the ISU. the USFS has nothing to do with Sasha's skating in the GPs until that happens.
USFS can go ahead and select Sasha Cohen for Skate America if they want -- they don't need the ISU's permission for that.

Last edited:
Sylvia said:
USFS can go ahead and select Sasha Cohen for Skate America if they want -- they don't need the ISU's permission for that.

As for other Grand Prix events, I do not know whether Sasha wants to do any or not. So far her announcement just said that "if the USFSA invites her to Skate America, she would accept."

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
As for other Grand Prix events, I do not know whether Sasha wants to do any or not. So far her announcement just said that "if the USFSA invites her to Skate America, she would accept."

I thought she was quoted as saying a second event "would be nice"? I'm almost sure of it.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I don't know about a 2nd GP event, but at least Sasha knows she can go to Nationals. It may seem odd, but if Michelle comes back, she will have to go to Regionals.

Now that will really seem strange.

^ It will seem especially strange to the girl who gets fifth and just misses her life-long dream of making it to "Coast."

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
^ And it will seem particularly especially strange to the girl who gets fifth ........

........ if she already won several world championships. :eek:

^ :rofl:

Speaking of Michelle, here is the latest from Philip Hersh.

Kwan has not replied affirmatively to U.S. Figure Skating’s invitation for a place at the Skate America Grand Prix event this November.

Kwan has until May 30 to tell USFS whether she would like to skate on the 2009 Grand Prix circuit.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
has Skate America really extended a inviation to Michelle? I was not aware she had offically annoucned her return!

The Hersh story made it seem like USFS took the initiatve and told Michelle, if you want to come back, we'll invite you to Skate America.

I don't know, though.

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Wow, I'm so shocked that USFSA has asked Michelle, and it's public knowledge!

I don't know what to think. *Someone* in the USFSA is taking Michelle's comeback as a serious possibility, at least. Or maybe they're just giddy at Sasha's announcement, which so many doubted, and now they're drawing the "logical" inference that if one dame can return, then why not the other?!

Well, we'll find out in a couple more weeks whether Michelle will take up SA's offer! (It's interesting that USFSA is ready to drop either the 5th seed or the National champion.)

The good news is that both Sasha and Michelle really stayed in shape while off ice. Not all figure skaters keep up with serious conditioning when they leave competitive skating, especially when they don't tour. That makes me feel like that indeed both always harbored hopes at some level that they might return.

I wonder just how close to competitive shape Michelle is really in at the moment. I know she got in a lot of snowboarding over the winter. Last week she played in a celebrity golf tournament.

Although she made some vague statements about triple jumps in her television gig at Worlds, the last reliable report was that she was consistently hitting all her doubles including the double Axel.

Still, what the Hersh article is actually about is Michelle turning down an invitation to serve as a big shot Olympic team captain (an "assistant chef de mission :) ). This might have appealed to her if she were not entertaining the possibility of a return to competition.

What I don't like so much about all these announcements is that they are giving the impression that USFS thinks our current ladies are, basically, garbage. "Woe is us if Sasha and Michelle don't come back."

Last edited:
To Recapitulate

The USFS can invite any of its skaters to it's GP It can not give Cohen or Kwan a 2nd GP. Correct?
Question: if Kwan skates SA, will she be exempt from Regionals?

Sasha will take the one GP at SA and wait decision of ISU for a 2nd GP. If she proves herself competitive she will skate Nats which the USFS will give her if she proves herself better than Caroline Zhang, Rachael Flat, Ashley Wagner, Mirai Nagasu, Kimmie Meissner and the ever popular, Emily Hughes who is returning to Nats by taking a sabatical from Harvard.

Cohen, Kwan and Hughes are has beens. No? Is this the Twighlight of the Goddesses?

GO BEBE!!

The USFS can invite any of its skaters to it's GP It can not give Cohen or Kwan a 2nd GP. Correct?

Question: if Kwan skates SA, will she be exempt from Regionals?

As more hints and teases come out about the whole process, it is becoming more and more clear that orgnizations like the ISU and USFS do not intend to let little things like the rules stand in their way.

According to the Hersh article Michelle would be exempted from Sectionals if she did Skate America, and she could also get out of Regionals by doing some sort of unspecified qualifying thing. (?)

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...rpetuated-by-the-sports-international-le.html

As for the ISU, the impression I am getting is that the ISU is expected to give permission for both Michelle and Sasha to be invited to other GPs if the skaters and the federation request it. The language used is, "it's not automatic, but..."

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
(snip)
Still, what the Hersh article is actually about is Michelle turning down an invitation to serve as a big shot Olympic team captain (an "assistant chef de mission :) ). This might have appealed to her if she were not entertaining the possibility of a return to competition.

What I don't like so much about all these announcements is that they are giving the impression that USFS thinks our current ladies are, basically, garbage. "Woe is us if Sasha and Michelle don't come back."

Michelle turning down the USFS offer may having nothing to do with a possible comeback. According to Phil this is an honorary position. Michelle may have something in the works with NBC which would actually pay her for her time.

As far as the USFS treating our current crop of U.S. ladies like garbage they have a lot of company.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The good news is that both Sasha and Michelle really stayed in shape while off ice. Not all figure skaters keep up with serious conditioning when they leave competitive skating, especially when they don't tour. That makes me feel like that indeed both always harbored hopes at some level that they might return.

Well Sasha always said that she woudl return, more or less... besides she was pretty much on the ice all the time touring with SOI etc.