2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

Michelle turning down the USFS offer may having nothing to do with a possible comeback. According to Phil this is an honorary position. Michelle may have something in the works with NBC which would actually pay her for her time.

Good point! I didn't think of that. :cool:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
What I don't like so much about all these announcements is that they are giving the impression that USFS thinks our current ladies are, basically, garbage.

Not at all. For once, the USFSA is using their little heads. These guys want ratings and ticket sales for SA. Up until now, the best way to get that was to pit both lady superstars, Rachael and Caroline, against each other. But that would probably eliminate one of them from the Final.

So what do they do? They invite two popular, but semi-retired ladies to SA as a massive ratings boost. Can they win? Can they do well? Can they at least fall without a reading on the Richter Scale? It don't matter! These ladies can sell tickets and pull in ratings.

Meanwhile, the two superstars, whom we know can actually kick butt, are kept separate ............ increasing the chance of both of them making the Final.

The guys at USFSA have found a way to have their cake and eat it too.

Meanwhile, the two superstars, whom we know can actually kick butt, are kept separate ............ increasing the chance of both of them making the Final.

That's the part that I can't seem to buy into. Is it better for Racahel and Caroline to face each other at Skate America, or to separately face an equally tough field somewhere else?

They could easily get second and third -- or better -- at Skate America. Somewhere else they might meet up with Kim, Asada, Kostner -- and maybe other Americans like Nagasu and Wagner. I don't see any easy route to the finals no matter what they do.

I gather fans of Kwan or Cohen are excpecting great skating based on what they saw years ago. No?

What I saw last season was some excellent Ladies skating by Zhang and Flatt and from the international set there was Asada; Kim,Rochette, Ando, and a better field of lesser skaters than ever before.

I hope this SA doesn't give us another go at Scheudenfroid(sp).

No one mentioned Emily except me, so I guess she is in the garbage can.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hughes, I hear, is taking a year off to focus mainly on skating. Even with 3 spots (and no Cohen comeback) I'd say her chances were slim at best, but 2 spots- and where she's at now? Ugh...she's a lot of work to do. But I guess I shouldn't underestimate her given her family's history. ;)

Rachel and Caroline will be fine. The two of them may even get the Olympic tickets. of course, my dream Olympic team (as said on FSU) would be Flatt and Meissner. The former might do it, granted she stays healthy, but the latter is facing an uphill battle...not quite as steep as Hughes, IMO, but I don't like Meissner's chances either. Assuming the following skaters stay healthy, I think the following have good chances:

Flatt
Zhang
Wagner
Nagasu
Czisny (medium- as the reigning US champ)

Everyone else I don't really consider "in the mix"- maybe to play spoiler but NOT for an OLY spot. We'll have to see if and where Cohen fits in once she actually COMPETES (i.e. stops talking)

merrybari

Final Flight
Observation:

It's interesting to me how so many of our threads here, though originally started to encompass ALL FOUR disciplines, ultimately gravitate to the ladies. No wonder the media still focus on them, when both men's and ice dance have so much depth and even more excitement, imo, as well.

Just a thought. :)

Observation:

It's interesting to me how so many of our threads here, though originally started to encompass ALL FOUR disciplines, ultimately gravitate to the ladies. No wonder the media still focus on them, when both men's and ice dance have so much depth and even more excitement, imo, as well.

Just a thought. :)
That's what I've been saying for years. The Canadians would like to get the public interested in the Men's division, but women's interest is far geater than men's interest. NBC could play a role in America but it wont. It is going gung ho for the Ladies at the Olympics. I predict after there is a no American lady win at the Olys, the sport will get worse towards the other disciplines..

antmanb

Record Breaker
That actually got me thinking - is it really that any one country is obsessed with any one discipline for any reason other than the fact they are successful at it?

I have made snarky comments about US fans declaring the death of FS just because there isn't a baby ballerina out there winning everything. My emphasis was on baby ballerina when i think the real emphasis is "winning everything".

The comparison between the US and Canada was what really made me sit up because I don't think Canada has ever had a problem with popularity for the mens event because Canada has mostly been very competitive in the Mens field. With Stojko, Browning and Orser Canada has a gold medal contender for many years. The women? Not so much.

Contrast that with the US, the men over the years have been hit and miss with some notable exceptions, but it is nothing compared to the dominance and depth of the US ladies. I don't have any records to hand but i'm sure that the last couple worlds have been the first time a US lady has been missing from the podium since when? Nancy's meltdown in 93? And then before that is it the 60s after the plane crash? A lot of the time the US ladies have had two skaters on the podium, often all of their skaters in the top 5, they swept the podium at 91 worlds. Maybe it's just the fact that the women actually win, and not just a bit but all the time!

Ant

enlight78

Medalist
That actually got me thinking - is it really that any one country is obsessed with any one discipline for any reason other than the fact they are successful at it?

I have made snarky comments about US fans declaring the death of FS just because there isn't a baby ballerina out there winning everything. My emphasis was on baby ballerina when i think the real emphasis is "winning everything".

The comparison between the US and Canada was what really made me sit up because I don't think Canada has ever had a problem with popularity for the mens event because Canada has mostly been very competitive in the Mens field. With Stojko, Browning and Orser Canada has a gold medal contender for many years. The women? Not so much.

Contrast that with the US, the men over the years have been hit and miss with some notable exceptions, but it is nothing compared to the dominance and depth of the US ladies. I don't have any records to hand but i'm sure that the last couple worlds have been the first time a US lady has been missing from the podium since when? Nancy's meltdown in 93? And then before that is it the 60s after the plane crash? A lot of the time the US ladies have had two skaters on the podium, often all of their skaters in the top 5, they swept the podium at 91 worlds. Maybe it's just the fact that the women actually win, and not just a bit but all the time!

Ant

How many years of winning GPFinals and Worlds before US men become noticable. I think it is so funny that NBC decided to air womens and then showed Evan free in the last five minutes like an "oh yeah I almost forgot". US like Americans winning no matter what sport. The should have showcase his win even though it was the ladies event.

Figure Skating is a nice sport to watch, but interest has dwindled. That could be with the media's penchant for glorifying the countries of the winners rather than the individual skaters.

It's nice when an American wins as long as he deserves it (Evan did). But it is just as awesome as when a skater from another country wins, too! (Yagudin in 2002)

Does it really matter who wins if the skating moved you?

merrybari

Final Flight
I don't have any records to hand but i'm sure that the last couple worlds have been the first time a US lady has been missing from the podium since when? Nancy's meltdown in 93? And then before that is it the 60s after the plane crash? A lot of the time the US ladies have had two skaters on the podium, often all of their skaters in the top 5, they swept the podium at 91 worlds. Maybe it's just the fact that the women actually win, and not just a bit but all the time!

Ant

I believe the drought for US women on the Worlds podium before this goes all the way back to the time after 1961 until Peggy Fleming came on strong. The current crop of youngsters have a great deal of, imo, untapped potential. The question is are they ready to challenge the rest of the world who has stars already in place. Wait and see, as always.

I'm waiting for the little girls to grow up. Alissa has the grace and maturity I'm looking for - a complete skater. I believe she can be the one to do the job if only she is able to get her head game under control. The rest is there waiting to shine!

I also recall a comment from Brian Orser who quipped: [The US women have to give the rest of the world a chance once in a while] in discussing Yu-Na's win in LA. (Not a word for word quote, but close.)

I do agree with enlight78 that NBC handled Evan's win shamefully. An after thought he's not. I was in the arena and was totally blown away by that performance. In fact the people behind me suggested that I "breathe!" :laugh: If I hadn't been an avid fan already, which you may have guessed by now, I sure would've been after that!

The men's division, not just in America, but around the world is very deep these days and strong. Too bad they are not getting the recognition they have earned. Marketing isn't doing it's job. Where are the gurus who could help? Where's the vision? Wish I had an answer.

I also wish the media would give recognition to both the men's event and dance that is their due. But I might as well row the boat upstream as wait for that.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Ant

I don't think you're far off in that idea at all...

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
It's interesting to me how so many of our threads here, though originally started to encompass ALL FOUR disciplines, ultimately gravitate to the ladies.

I used to be primarily interested in the ladies. But now that Evan is making the sport more manly, I find that I am also interested in the other disciplines. For instance, which U.S. men will be invited to SA? That’s pretty tough to answer. We could use the same logic as the ladies, and try to keep our best men separate so they don’t eliminate each other. The problem is, who are our best men? We have Evan, Johnny, Jeremy, Brandon – just which two are the best? It’s very hard to say right now.

merrybari

Final Flight
For instance, which U.S. men will be invited to SA? That’s pretty tough to answer. We could use the same logic as the ladies, and try to keep our best men separate so they don’t eliminate each other. The problem is, who are our best men? We have Evan, Johnny, Jeremy, Brandon – just which two are the best? It’s very hard to say right now.

I'd like the answer to this one too, as the assignments will determine whether or not I'll go. I'm hoping Evan will be there - he is, after all the World champ. If he is, I will be too. :)

A one/two finish wouldn't eliminate either of them to my way of thinking. Not too much to hope for given the depth of the US men's field. Should be a very exciting season.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
But now that Evan is making the sport more manly, I find that I am also interested in the other disciplines.
Please tell me that was tongue in cheek. It was, right? Nothing to do with Evan's style of skating - it just struck me as a strange statement to make.

Even when someone mentions the Men, the fans of Ladies are compelled to put it snarkily down. Ladies rule here. Not Women - just the fashion crowd befitting a teenager - Think pink not blue.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Even when someone mentions the Men, the fans of Ladies are compelled to put it snarkily down. Ladies rule here. Not Women - just the fashion crowd befitting a teenager - Think pink not blue.

Possibly. But I'd still like to know how the men will be divided up. With 6 events, the Americans could, in theory, keep their best three men separate until the Final. So who are our best three? Jeremy, Evan and Brandon? Evan, Johnny and Jeremy?

Of course, the USFSA doesn't have much control outside of Skate America. They may just shoot for the ratings rather than the Final.