2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

I think Skate America will absolutely invite Evan as World Champion, and Jeremy as U.S. Champion.

The third spot will probably go to Mroz or Carrier, allowing Weir to go to Russia, France or Japan.

enlight78

Medalist
I think Skate America will absolutely invite Evan as World Champion, and Jeremy as U.S. Champion.

The third spot will probably go to Mroz or Carrier, allowing Weir to go to Russia, France or Japan.

What about the two time defending Jr World Champion Amazing Adam Rippon who has out score Mroz best by over ten points.

I'd like to see Evan and Jeremy battle it out at SA. The third skater should be one that could be sacrificed because we do not know which international skaters will wind up in SA except that it must be a 2009 podium 4-6 trailing skater.

Who could be the sacrificial lamb? and maybe rise to the occasion. remember Evan got 2 bronzes last year and did not make the Final

Last edited:
:chorus:Have figure skating became a cult already. If we have to sacrifice anybody I say Armin or Ryan. Sorry.
C'mon Enright. You know the rules! A skater must earn at least 24 points to be considered for the Finals. Whoever is in that 4-6 goup will not allow for the Americans to sweep the podium. One will have to take a dive.

4-6 Trailers - Verner, Contesti, Kozuka. One of them will have to show up at SA., so we have Evan, Jeremy and Takahito. Therefore a sacrificial lamb - a good skater who will gain experience with his first international competition. No?

Therefore a sacrificial lamb - a good skater who will gain experience with his first international competition. No?

Just for fun, I looked up to see who were the sacrificial lambs in previous years.

One unusual thing was that Johnny Weir never did Skate America until last year. Even when he was U.S. champion he preferred to pass up Skate America and to skate somewhere else later in the season.

Anyway... :)

2008: Weir (2nd), Lysacek (3rd), sacrificial lamb Rippon (8th).

2007: Lysacek (2nd), Carriere (4th), lamb Bradley (6th).

2006: Lysacek (2nd), Smith (6th), lamb Bradley (8th).

2005: Lysacek (2nd), Goebel (6th), lamb Dennis Phan (11th)

2204: Jahnke (2nd), Weiss (3), lamb Lysacek (5th)

2003: Weiss (1st -- this is the last time an American man won Skate America), Smith (5th), lamb Jahnke (12th).

2002: Savaoie :love: (3rd), Weiss (5th), lanb Delmore (8th) :)

nylynnr

On the Ice
The way a lot of the #3 U.S. guys skated at the aforementioned SA's, it wasn't so much sacrifice as suicide.

fairly4

Medalist
caroline zhang has the 5th best season best score not the 7th. as posted in earlier post.
check the isu internet.
unless the usa only went by the four continents score when she had the 7th best.

caroline zhang has the 5th best season best score not the 7th. as posted in earlier post.
check the isu internet.
unless the usa only went by the four continents score when she had the 7th best.
That opens the question of who will be the sacrificial lamb for the Ladies.

If YuNa gets SA (and I think she will) and Sasha makes her grande comeback? Who could be the third who would need a prior silver (13 points) to average out 24 points in a tie with 3 or 4 others. It's oh so iffy for the Amerians to do something here if Sasha's bid for a second GP is turned down.

Let's face it, YuNa will be in the Finals. Over and Out. Sasha if she can get Paris (her favorite) and face Mao and Rochette, she may land a 4th or 9 points for a total of 22 points. Enough?

We have to remember that SA is the 5th GP to be skated. There are 4 GPs ahead of it, and SC is after that which will probably be Rochette and Yukari.
Mao will probably show up in Paris and Tokyo.

It's a tough series of events in which, I believe, no American will make the Final. Who will make the Final? It's the old, wait and see.

Last edited:
Here is my prediction for who gets invited to Skate America: Miki Ando from 1-3, Rachael from 4-6, Alissa, Sasha.

merrybari

Final Flight
I really think Evan will make the Final, as well as Tanith and Ben. One or both of Rachael and Caroline have a very good shot.

I agree!

I think maybe Joe was referring to the ladies only when he said no American would make the final. Just a guess.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Here is my prediction for who gets invited to Skate America: Miki Ando from 1-3, Rachael from 4-6, Alissa, Sasha.

Here's the thing, I thought I read that the World Champion gets to choose her two events. What if Kim chooses Skate America. I mean Orser in 2007 said that Yu-na wasn't too thrilled with the idea of getting Cup of China/ Cup of Russia. She wanted to skate in North America (and according to Orser everyone wants Paris :lol:!)

She's not getting Canada because of Joannie.

I agree!

I think maybe Joe was referring to the ladies only when he said no American would make the final. Just a guess.

Here's the List of female skaters who want to go to the Finals:

YuNa Kim
Mao Asada
Miki Ando
Yukari Nakano
Akiko Suzuki
Joannie Rochette
Sara Meier
Carolina Kostner
Alina Leonova
Laura Lepisto
and
Sasha Cohen

How can one squeeze in any Americans to the Finals?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Here's the List of female skaters who want to go to the Finals:

YuNa Kim
Mao Asada
Miki Ando
Yukari Nakano
Akiko Suzuki
Joannie Rochette
Sara Meier
Carolina Kostner
Alina Leonova
Laura Lepisto
and
Sasha Cohen

How can one squeeze in any Americans to the Finals?

Well, Caroline and Rachael have beaten most of the ladies on this list. If the World Team Trophy had an individual ladies' podium, Miki would have been mule-kicked off of it.