Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    But where does Sasha fall on the list?
    That would be section 2.2, paragraph h) of the selection guidelines:

In addition to the seeded skaters/couples and the above-mentioned invited skaters/couples, each host ISU member may select additional skaters/couples in accordance to the selection procedures established by the ISU Figure Skating Event Coordination Group.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Meissner is guaranteed one Grand Prix event because she is in the top 24 ISU World Standings list (same with Nagasu).

USFS usually has alternates selected for Skate America in case one of their skaters withdraws for whatever reason.
    If Meissner or any other US skater has 1 GP by ISU rules, and the USFS picks her or whomever for Skate America, is that the 1 GP or will she also be able to skate another?

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Here are the stats for the US ladies:

GUARANTEED TWO GP EVENTS (top 12 in 2009 Worlds):
    Rachael FLATT: GP Seed; 7th ISU Rank; 6th Season Best List
    Alissa CZISNY: 22nd ISU Rank; 17th SB list

GUARANTEED ONE GP EVENT (Top 24 on ISU Rank List AND/OR Top 24 on SB List AND/OR JW medalist AND/OR JGP medalist)
    Caroline ZHANG: 8th ISU Rank; 7th SB List, JW silver medalist (probably will get two GPs)
    Ashley WAGNER: 14th ISU Rank; 16th SB List, JW bronze medalist (probably will get two GPs)
    Becky BERESWILL: 23rd SB List; JGPF Champion (could remain in JGP)
    Mirai NAGASU: 21st ISU Rank
    Kimmie MEISSNER: 23rd ISU Rank
    Alexe GILLES: JGPF bronze medalist (could remain in JGP)
    Angela MAXWELL: 21st SB List (probably will remain in JGP)

NO GP Guarantees:
    Beatrisa LIANG - eligible for GP invitations (30 on SB list)
    Kristine MUSADEMBA (probably will remain in JGP)
    Amanda DOBBS (reportedly skating PAIRS)
    Melissa BULANHAGUI eligible for GP invitations (55 on SB list)
    Emily HUGHES ineligible for GP invitations (82 on SB list)
    Thanks. Very clear and easy to follow.

I can definitely see Zhang getting two GPs (don't know about Wagner though)

Custom Title
    Amanda Dobbs is skating pairs?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    If Meissner or any other US skater has 1 GP by ISU rules, and the USFS picks her or whomever for Skate America, is that the 1 GP or will she also be able to skate another?
    If Meissner also receives an invitation from another federation, then she would have two GPs. But remember, host picks happen first, so there is no obligation for another federation to invite her once she is picked by the USFS.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    If Meissner also receives an invitation from another federation, then she would have two GPs. But remember, host picks happen first, so there is no obligation for another federation to invite her once she is picked by the USFS.
    Despite people's excellent attempts to explain the GP process , I'm still not sure I have all the convolutions straight. Regardless, Kimmie is a former World Champion, so I think it likely she will get a 2nd event. Caroline medalled at the last GP, and did well in her next 3 ISU events. So I can't believe she would not get a 2nd event. Sasha, I'm not sure about.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Despite people's excellent attempts to explain the GP process , I'm still not sure I have all the convolutions straight. Regardless, Kimmie is a former World Champion, so I think it likely she will get a 2nd event. Caroline medalled at the last GP, and did well in her next 3 ISU events. So I can't believe she would not get a 2nd event. Sasha, I'm not sure about.
    Sasha just has to wait for the decision by the ISU. the USFS has nothing to do with Sasha's skating in the GPs until that happens. It's possible if the ISU bends the rule of not skating by no fault of her own.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by liketotally View Post
    Amanda Dobbs is skating pairs?
    Yes, according to someone who posted at FSU. Dobbs has previously competed in pairs -- she skated several seasons with Chris Trefil and they placed 5th in Novice at 2006 U.S. Nationals before splitting later that summer. Don't yet know if she plans to continue in singles this season (if so, she's likely to be a JGP alternate).

As for the U.S. ladies' Senior Grand Prix assignments last season, Meissner and Liang were guaranteed 2 apiece because they placed in the top 12 at 2008 Worlds. Five others received 2 GPs initially:
    Flatt (top 24 in World Standings & Season Best scores, Jr. World & JGP Final medalist) Nagasu (top 24 in WS & SB, Jr. World & JGP Final medalist), Zhang (top 24 in WS & SB, Jr. World medalist), Wagner (top 24 in WS & SB), and Hacker (top 24 in SB).

Hughes (top 24 in WS & SB) and Czisny (#35 in WS & #29 in SB) received 1 GP apiece in the initial selection round (Czisny later received a 2nd as a last-minute Cup of Russia alternate). So the U.S. ladies received a total of 16 slots initially out of a maximum of 18 slots last year and 17 total.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Sasha just has to wait for the decision by the ISU. the USFS has nothing to do with Sasha's skating in the GPs until that happens.
    USFS can go ahead and select Sasha Cohen for Skate America if they want -- they don't need the ISU's permission for that.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-11-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia
    USFS can go ahead and select Sasha Cohen for Skate America if they want -- they don't need the ISU's permission for that.
    As for other Grand Prix events, I do not know whether Sasha wants to do any or not. So far her announcement just said that "if the USFSA invites her to Skate America, she would accept."
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-11-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thank you Sylvia. That's new for me. Well then, good for Sasha.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    As for other Grand Prix events, I do not know whether Sasha wants to do any or not. So far her announcement just said that "if the USFSA invites her to Skate America, she would accept."
    I thought she was quoted as saying a second event "would be nice"? I'm almost sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    I thought she was quoted as saying a second event "would be nice"? I'm almost sure of it.
    that 2nd one has to have ISU blessing.

Custom Title
    I don't know about a 2nd GP event, but at least Sasha knows she can go to Nationals. It may seem odd, but if Michelle comes back, she will have to go to Regionals.

Now that will really seem strange.

^ It will seem especially strange to the girl who gets fifth and just misses her life-long dream of making it to "Coast."

Custom Title
    ^ And it will seem particularly especially strange to the girl who gets fifth ........

........ if she already won several world championships.

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast