2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'd be surprised if Rachel does not get SA.

Rochette is getting SC. No speculation required.

Kim got SA last year, but I don't know if she would get it again as the WC. Maybe Ando is fair game though. It would help the US ladies in terms of getting to the final. But the USFS could also invite Kim to allow the comeback kid an opportunity to see where she stacks up vs. The Olympic Favorite.

Yu-Na said in the interview at the airport that she would like to skate in north America which practically means SA. Let's wait and see whether she can.

Ah...yes. Now that I understand how the seeded skaters work, apparently if Rochette gets SC, Kim can't also get it. So she would have to get SA in that case.

Personally, I think Sasha would be best off if she just did Skate America and not any other Grand Prix event.

She pretty much has to do Skate America now. For one thing, if, after all this fol-de-rol she changes her mind and says, nah, I’m not going to do it after all, suckers – that won’t look good at all. :)

Plus, I do think she needs at least one international competition under her belt before she sallies forth into the big arena in Vancouver. If she competes at Skate America, I think she is capable of hitting 175 or so. This is good, putting her even with Caroline and Rachael. But Ando and Rochette can do 185 and Kim and Asada 195.

I think it would be very useful to Sasha to have a realistic sense of where she stands in her comeback effort.

However, if she does the full GP circuit, that will put pressure on her to make the finals – a long shot – or at least to be among the front-running candidates. This pressure is unnecessary if her only goal is the make the Olympic team and take her shot at a medal.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
However, if she does the full GP circuit, that will put pressure on her to make the finals – a long shot – or at least to be among the front-running candidates. This pressure is unnecessary if her only goal is the make the Olympic team and take her shot at a medal.

Yes, Sasha wants to go to the Olympics, but she doesn't want to try for the Grand Prix Final, .... because that would mean .........

.................... PRESSURE !!!! :eek:

Canada gets to reserve Rochette before the draw even takes place. So Kim and Ando can't go there.
cmon. We all know that. That was why so many said at the beginninf of this discussion dthat Canada was not for Kim.

Again, the U.S. gets to reserve Rachael for Skate America before the draw takes place.
/
We all know tha as well.. What we were discussing, should the USFS use Zhang? Of course not, imo.

Well, anything is possible. But I cannot think of any reason, strategic or otherwise, for Skate Canada not to take Rochette from 1-3 and for Skate America not to take Rachael from 4-6.
I don't see anything special about Skate America which you seem to think is the whole competion ;) I see Rachael and Caroline as too close to lose one of them and with Sasha thrown in, it is more dubious that either of them will make the Finals. Separate them and they may.

Does it really matter to you that Caroline skates China and Russia? and Rachael skates SA and TEB?

It'll all be on Icenetwork and only SA on TV abridged.

I guess I got lost in following this discussion. Are we talking about Caroline Zhang now? :laugh:

I think Skate America will go with Alissa, Rachael and Sasha.

I think Zhang will get two others -- possibly China and Canada.

I do not expect the field for Skate America to be any more challenging than the fields for other events.

No, it does not matter to me where any of the skaters is assigned. I am just making guesses about what I think might happen. :yes:

Last edited:
I guess I got lost in following this discussion. Are we talking about Caroline Zhang now? :laugh:

I think Skate America will go with Alissa, Rachael and Sasha.

I think Zhang will get two others -- possibly China and Canada.

I do not expect the field for Skate America to be any more challenging than the fields for other events.

No, it does not matter to me where any of the skaters is assigned. I am just making guesses about what I think might happen. :yes:
Now that's good. You changed from having the three top US skaters at Skate America to one. Of course Sasha came into the picture

A silver medal for Rachael would be nice but will it happen? I dunno.

R.D.

Record Breaker
SA: Flatt, Cohen, ?

Hopefully Meissner can be the third. If not, then the alternate.

npa

Match Penalty
What about ice dance? How do you think, where B-A will skate? SA and..... Maybe China or Japon? And Domnina-Shabalin - Russia and .......
B-A could choose TEB - but will they want to shaow there dances first?

Now that's good. You changed from having the three top US skaters at Skate America to one.

You wore me down, Joe. :cool:

Good luck to Rachael for a silver at Skate America, and good luck to Caroline wherever her fortune takes her. :)

SA: Flatt, Cohen, ?

Hopefully Meissner can be the third. If not, then the alternate.
Why? The third skater may well come out 5th. and NBC will not show her on TV. If YuNa shows up at SA, and a Japanese lady like Yukari or Akikod, the plot thickens.

There's nothing special about SA. All these GPs are the same.except some are less difficult than others.

Twelve more days and we may know who's skating where.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I was at Skate America '07. Caroline Zhang got standing ovations (partial or full) for all 3 of her skates. I would be surprised if she wasn't sent to SA because the crowd likes her. Sasha seems to be going, and Alissa is national champion. So ... it seems to me it might have to be Sasha, Alissa and Caroline. Sasha, Alissa and Rachael is still a definite possibility though.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If USFS really does have to pick a "seeded" skater from each pool, I can't see why Flatt would NOT be chosen for SA

sorcerer

Final Flight
... I've heard unofficially that the current World Champions can request which GP events they would like and are accommodated if at all possible. For example, Jeff Buttle reportedly requested Skate Canada and China back-to-back last year before he decided to retire.
I believe Sylvia has a reliable source, but isn't it that even a current World Champ can do so only through his/her own federation?
I think that Jeff was able to do so because Skate Canada (federation) is one of the hosts.
BTW there seems to me no evidence of Miki asking the JSF for NHK in Gps '07. She herself IIRC is aware that she skates at ease abroad rather than in home country.

The federation Yuna belongs is not a host in GPs, so I assume that the champ this year doesn't have such say as much as Sylvia writes .... but I might be wrong.
If I'm wrong I don't think such unofficial custom going on underground is a good thing for the sport though...

ETA:
But wait, skaters belonging to GP host federations being priviledged is not a good thing either, come to think of it.
Oh well, the best should be that things go on mechanically...

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
believe Sylvia has a reliable source, but isn't it that even a current World Champ can do so only through his/her own federation?
I think that Jeff was able to do so because Skate Canada (federation) is one of the hosts.
BTW there seems to me no evidence of Miki asking the JSF for NHK in Gps '07. She herself IIRC is aware that she skates at ease abroad rather than in home country.

Well that's really fair...If your world champ and from a GP federation you can choose your other spots, but otherwise screw you. In the case of Miki she may now she skates better outside of Japan, but no way was she going to turn down the Japanese Federation either, that's not political smart...

I don't see why it's so wrong to let the world champ choose their spots (for the most part) that's just a nice perk.