Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 420

Thread: 2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

  1. #256
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    I really think Evan will make the Final, as well as Tanith and Ben. One or both of Rachael and Caroline have a very good shot.
    I agree!

    I think maybe Joe was referring to the ladies only when he said no American would make the final. Just a guess.

  2. #257
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here is my prediction for who gets invited to Skate America: Miki Ando from 1-3, Rachael from 4-6, Alissa, Sasha.
    Here's the thing, I thought I read that the World Champion gets to choose her two events. What if Kim chooses Skate America. I mean Orser in 2007 said that Yu-na wasn't too thrilled with the idea of getting Cup of China/ Cup of Russia. She wanted to skate in North America (and according to Orser everyone wants Paris :lol:!)

    She's not getting Canada because of Joannie.

  3. #258
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by merrybari View Post
    I agree!

    I think maybe Joe was referring to the ladies only when he said no American would make the final. Just a guess.
    Here's the List of female skaters who want to go to the Finals:

    YuNa Kim
    Mao Asada
    Miki Ando
    Yukari Nakano
    Akiko Suzuki
    Joannie Rochette
    Sara Meier
    Carolina Kostner
    Alina Leonova
    Laura Lepisto
    and
    Sasha Cohen

    How can one squeeze in any Americans to the Finals?

  4. #259
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here is my prediction for who gets invited to Skate America: Miki Ando from 1-3, Rachael from 4-6, Alissa, Sasha.
    Why Miki and not YuNa. You must have a good reason because Orser wants SA.

  5. #260
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Here's the List of female skaters who want to go to the Finals:

    YuNa Kim
    Mao Asada
    Miki Ando
    Yukari Nakano
    Akiko Suzuki
    Joannie Rochette
    Sara Meier
    Carolina Kostner
    Alina Leonova
    Laura Lepisto
    and
    Sasha Cohen

    How can one squeeze in any Americans to the Finals?
    Well, Caroline and Rachael have beaten most of the ladies on this list. If the World Team Trophy had an individual ladies' podium, Miki would have been mule-kicked off of it.

  6. #261
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Here's the List of female skaters who want to go to the Finals:

    YuNa Kim
    Mao Asada
    Miki Ando
    Yukari Nakano
    Akiko Suzuki
    Joannie Rochette
    Sara Meier
    Carolina Kostner
    Alina Leonova
    Laura Lepisto
    and
    Sasha Cohen

    How can one squeeze in any Americans to the Finals?

    I am sure Caroline Zhang and Rachael Flatt would also like to go to the Final, and I think both of them have a better chance of making it than Sarah Meier, Laura Lepisto and Alina Leonova.

  7. #262
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,250
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Here's the thing, I thought I read that the World Champion gets to choose her two events. What if Kim chooses Skate America. I mean Orser in 2007 said that Yu-na wasn't too thrilled with the idea of getting Cup of China/ Cup of Russia. She wanted to skate in North America (and according to Orser everyone wants Paris :lol:!)

    She's not getting Canada because of Joannie.
    As far as the rules of the draw go, I don't think the world champion or anyone else gets to choose where they will go. The skaters are invited by the host federations, with the order of choice determned by lot.

    About Kim's assignments last year, I don't know whether China and Russia won the draw and snapped her up, or whether USA and Canada got to choose first and didn't want her to come in and beat the local girls.

    That having been said, I believe that the skaters do have an opportunity to express their wishes. Then it is up to the host federations to decide whether toi honor the skaters' preferences or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Why Miki and not YuNa. You must have a good reason because Orser wants SA.
    Well, the first thing is, Brian Orser is not Ottavio Cinquanta. Does anyone really care what Brian Orser wants?

    The reason I thought that they would try to get Ando is because USFS might think that of Kim, Rochette, and Ando, choosing Miki gives the American girs the best chance to pull an upset and win gold.

    As you know, I am sad that National Federations think this way. I wish they would invite the best and let them duke it out for top honors. But everyone tells me this is naive. The conventional wisdom seems to be the main goal of host federations is to invite the weakest skaters that they can find so as to improve the chances of getting the home girls into the finals.

    If it were up to me I would invite Yu-na.
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-15-2009 at 12:46 AM.

  8. #263
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Clarification please.

    I know it's true that because of the seeding rule in place now the skaters don't get to request assignment to the event(s) of their choice.

    However, is it a firm truth, as much as possible with ISU that is, that host federations get first chance at their own skaters before the draw?

  9. #264
    Ice Dancing and Johnny Fan MissIzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    765
    Did the skaters ever get to formally request events? I got the impression it was always informal. Certainly the USFSA can be always made aware that Yu-Na wishes to be invited the Skate America, but I doubt they would ever have had to oblige her.

  10. #265
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by MissIzzy View Post
    Did the skaters ever get to formally request events? I got the impression it was always informal. Certainly the USFSA can be always made aware that Yu-Na wishes to be invited the Skate America, but I doubt they would ever have had to oblige her.
    I believe it is the Feds who make the decisions only when it is their turn of the draw. Of course, a skater may want Paris and conspiracy looms.

  11. #266
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I am sure Caroline Zhang and Rachael Flatt would also like to go to the Final, and I think both of them have a better chance of making it than Sarah Meier, Laura Lepisto and Alina Leonova.
    Yes, of course they have a shot at getting the GP Final but that puts them in the same company of Kim, Asada, Ando, Rochette, which fully books 4 into the Finals. For the final two places, wouldn't Kostner, Meier, Lepisto and the very consistent Leonova be fighting it out and not to mention Suzuki, Nakano? These fighters have the potential to do better than last season.

    Much will depend on how the USFS selects its team for SA. With Cohen in there, she may knock out one of the American bests and if she doesn't, it's just dificult for me to think Amercia will get gold and silver at SA which is needed to get to Finals. Of course, there are the results of the preceding 4 GPs which may work for the Americans but past performances by Meissner, Cizny, Hughes were not fruitful in the Outer GPs.

    The story of the results will unfold by the time of the third GP (China, France and Russia). NHK will just confirm Asada and Ando.

    Rememer it should take not less than 24 points to get into the Finals, with 26 or better being assured. And if 24, there will be TIEs, no doubt.

  12. #267
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,429
    Quote Originally Posted by merrybari View Post
    However, is it a firm truth, as much as possible with ISU that is, that host federations get first chance at their own skaters before the draw?
    Yes.

  13. #268
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    The 6 top skaters at Worlds are selected by Lot. If the USFS pulls 6th in the draw, it will have no choice in this selection of the top skaters. So which two Feds would want Kim?

  14. #269
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,429
    It is my understanding that the host federations can choose their own seeded skaters before the draw.

  15. #270
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    It is my understanding that the host federations can choose their own seeded skaters before the draw.
    I agree, but my understanding is that Host federations can only select the additional skaters in turn. I was just hypthetically saying that the USFS may draw 6th so the choices are limited.
    It is pretty assured that:
    Canada will select Rochette
    Japan will seledct Ando
    Japan will also select Asada
    US will select Cohen, Flatt, and Zhang which is their right.
    China, France and Russia all have options for Kim

    It's the second round of the drawing which gets touchy.

    The order of selection is important.
    Last edited by Joesitz; 05-15-2009 at 10:01 AM.

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •