Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: 2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The 6 top skaters at Worlds are selected by Lot. If the USFS pulls 6th in the draw, it will have no choice in this selection of the top skaters. So which two Feds would want Kim?
    From 4-6 the United States can take Rachael before the draw, and I think they will.

As for who wants Yu-na Kim, China, France and probably Russia have nothing to lose.

If they were sportsmen rather than strategists, any competition would want to measure their skaters against the world champion, in my opinion. Irina Slutskaya used to beg to be invited to the same Grand Prix events as Michelle Kwan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    As far as the rules of the draw go, I don't think the world champion or anyone else gets to choose where they will go. The skaters are invited by the host federations, with the order of choice determned by lot.

About Kim's assignments last year, I don't know whether China and Russia won the draw and snapped her up, or whether USA and Canada got to choose first and didn't want her to come in and beat the local girls.
    Kim skated at Skate America last year.

For what it's worth, I've heard unofficially that the current World Champions can request which GP events they would like and are accommodated if at all possible. For example, Jeff Buttle reportedly requested Skate Canada and China back-to-back last year before he decided to retire.

If they were sportsmen rather than strategists, any competition would want to measure their skaters against the world champion, in my opinion. Irina Slutskaya used to beg to be invited to the same Grand Prix events as Michelle Kwan.
    Are you against Managers selecting left hand pitches against the competition's left hand slugger? Strategy is part and parcel of winnin in sport as well as life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    For what it's worth, I've heard unofficially that the current World Champions can request which GP events they would like and are accommodated if at all possible.
    That is good news.

I suppose that "if at all possible" means she won't get Skate Canada because they will choose Rochette, but she will get TEB and Skate America.

If so, this will provide the U.S. skaters (I still think it will be Alissa, Rachael and Sasha) something to aim at.

I suppose that "if at all possible" means she won't get Skate Canada because they will choose Rochette, but she will get TEB and Skate America.
    Kim skated at Skate America last year.
    I was talking about 2007-2008 season.
    Brian Orser in an interview two seasons mentioned this. How the World Champion (Ando) got first pick. Ando got NHK and Skate America. Than they asked Mao and she wanted Canada and France. Then Yu-na got left with Cup of China and Cup of Russia. :lol:

He said that Yu-na wanted to skate in N. America because that's where she trains, and according to Orser everyone wants France. :lol:

Who knows though when will Trophy Bombard be? If it's right before Skate America, Yu-na might not want it. But really I can see her wanting Skate America because the trip to Lake Placid will not be such a big deal in comparision to some of the other plane trips.
    Last edited by bekalc; 05-15-2009 at 10:30 AM.

Custom Title
    The order of GP events this fall is TEB, CoR, China, NHK, Skate America, Skate Canada.

Custom Title
    When leaving Korea a few days ago, Yu-Na said in the interview at the airport that she would like to skate in north America which practically means SA. Let's wait and see whether she can.

Are you against Managers selecting left hand pitchers against the competition's left hand slugger? Strategy is part and parcel of winning in sport as well as life.
    I guess I am thinking of figure skating more as an individual sport than a team sport.

That is good news.

If so, this will provide the U.S. skaters (I still think it will be Alissa, Rachael and Sasha) something to aim at.
    Unless one of the 1-3 choose TEB ahead of Canada which would also be among Rochette's choices. Again much depends on the order of the drawer.

I could think also of strategy in air flights. Kim: Vancouver-Paris-Lake Placid and maybe Seul for a family reunion and Final. Paris has direct flights everywhere and many of them It's an ideal location for an event. Lake Placid not so easy.

For SA independently, we don't know who among the 4-6 skaters it will be, so I would separate Zhang from this grouping. If one is not thinking about the points, one is just thinking about the show which will be old hat by the time SA comes around. Several skaters will have already gotten 26 points (like Zhang if she avoids SA). Just my very light prediction till I see the results of the draw.

Unless one of the 1-3 choose TEB ahead of Canada which would also be among Rochette's choices. Again much depends on the order of the drawer.
    Canada gets to reserve Rochette before the draw even takes place. So Kim and Ando can't go there.

For SA independently, we don't know who among the 4-6 skaters it will be
    Rachael.

Again, the U.S. gets to reserve Rachael for Skate America before the draw takes place.

Well, anything is possible. But I cannot think of any reason, strategic or otherwise, for Skate Canada not to take Rochette from 1-3 and for Skate America not to take Rachael from 4-6.

Down With It
    I'd be surprised if Rachel does not get SA.

Rochette is getting SC. No speculation required.

Kim got SA last year, but I don't know if she would get it again as the WC. Maybe Ando is fair game though. It would help the US ladies in terms of getting to the final. But the USFS could also invite Kim to allow the comeback kid an opportunity to see where she stacks up vs. The Olympic Favorite.

Yu-Na said in the interview at the airport that she would like to skate in north America which practically means SA. Let's wait and see whether she can.
    Ah...yes. Now that I understand how the seeded skaters work, apparently if Rochette gets SC, Kim can't also get it. So she would have to get SA in that case.

Personally, I think Sasha would be best off if she just did Skate America and not any other Grand Prix event.

She pretty much has to do Skate America now. For one thing, if, after all this fol-de-rol she changes her mind and says, nah, I’m not going to do it after all, suckers – that won’t look good at all.

Plus, I do think she needs at least one international competition under her belt before she sallies forth into the big arena in Vancouver. If she competes at Skate America, I think she is capable of hitting 175 or so. This is good, putting her even with Caroline and Rachael. But Ando and Rochette can do 185 and Kim and Asada 195.

I think it would be very useful to Sasha to have a realistic sense of where she stands in her comeback effort.

However, if she does the full GP circuit, that will put pressure on her to make the finals – a long shot – or at least to be among the front-running candidates. This pressure is unnecessary if her only goal is the make the Olympic team and take her shot at a medal.

Custom Title

However, if she does the full GP circuit, that will put pressure on her to make the finals – a long shot – or at least to be among the front-running candidates. This pressure is unnecessary if her only goal is the make the Olympic team and take her shot at a medal.
    Yes, Sasha wants to go to the Olympics, but she doesn't want to try for the Grand Prix Final, .... because that would mean .........

.................... PRESSURE !!!!

^ Well, if you put it that way...

Canada gets to reserve Rochette before the draw even takes place. So Kim and Ando can't go there.
    cmon. We all know that. That was why so many said at the beginninf of this discussion dthat Canada was not for Kim.

Again, the U.S. gets to reserve Rachael for Skate America before the draw takes place.
    /
    We all know tha as well.. What we were discussing, should the USFS use Zhang? Of course not, imo.

Well, anything is possible. But I cannot think of any reason, strategic or otherwise, for Skate Canada not to take Rochette from 1-3 and for Skate America not to take Rachael from 4-6.
    I don't see anything special about Skate America which you seem to think is the whole competion I see Rachael and Caroline as too close to lose one of them and with Sasha thrown in, it is more dubious that either of them will make the Finals. Separate them and they may.

Does it really matter to you that Caroline skates China and Russia? and Rachael skates SA and TEB?

It'll all be on Icenetwork and only SA on TV abridged.

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast