Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

Custom Title
    However these convolutions work out, I just hope the USFSA doesn't make our best skaters eliminate each other.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    However these convolutions work out, I just hope the USFSA doesn't make our best skaters eliminate each other.
    Amen!! ITA!!!!!

Given the chance that a world champion, and Rachael will be pitted against an excellent skater from theJapanese stable, two other US skaters at SA may wind up out of the medals and definitely out of the Finals.

Best thing, imo, for the USFS is to put at least one less than favorite skater in SA in addition to Rachael. But apparently, the GPs are wanting to make money with the creme de la creme.

Apparently, host countries are in control of their event. NO?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Apparently, host countries are in control of their event. NO?
    Well, yes and no ............... and no and yes. Other countries may want our skaters as well. If a particular skater is taken for 2 events already, that skater's federation may not be able to pull him/her away.
    ( At least I THINK that's how it works. )

Custom Title
    Well, yes and no ............... and no and yes. Other countries may want our skaters as well. If a particular skater is taken for 2 events already, that skater's federation may not be able to pull him/her away.
    ( At least I THINK that's how it works. )
    No, that can't happen because HOST picks go first, before the seed picks. If USFS wants Rachael as one of the seeds, they pick her as a host pick. Then she will be available only for a second event.

I'm just afraid USFS will pick Rachael, Carolyn and Alissa, with Miki Ando as the top seed.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I'm just afraid USFS will pick Rachael, Carolyn and Alissa, with Miki Ando as the top seed.
    I think so, too, except they might try to grab Yu-na kim instead of Ando if they get the chance.

I think they will certainly choose Rachael, as the only U.S.seeded skater. They will surely choose Alissa, as U.S. champion. So the only real choice will be the third U.S. skater.

Here they have many choices. They could go with Mirai, or Ashley. or Kimmie (we haven't forgotten you! ), or with someone just up from juniors.

But I think the pressure to take Caroline will prove irresistible. Anything can happen, but right now it looks like the U.S. ladies Olympic team will be Rachael and Caroline. The USFSA has two chances to get their names and faces in front of the American public -- Skate America and U.S. Nationals.

I don't think the powers that be -- meaning the people who invest billions in the success of the Olympic games -- care very much about the grand Prix final.

No, that can't happen because HOST picks go first, before the seed picks. If USFS wants Rachael as one of the seeds, they pick her as a host pick. Then she will be available only for a second event.

Rachael, Carolyn and Alissa will be a draw for getting some fans to the not-so-easy-to-get-to Lake Placid but that is all the USFS can expect. However, given Miki or YuNa, plus Yukari and Carolina, there could be big problems going to the Finals for all three. The USFS is in control for this selection. I think the Ladies can make it with a bronze not like the Men, imo, who need to make silver.

I would select Rachael, Alissa, and Kimmie for SA, and hopefully get Carolyn off to COC.

The Men Selection at SA

Since this division is much more of a tight race than ladies, I would expect the Men to get silver to qualify for the Finals.

If Dai, Brian, Patrick, Samuel or even Nobunari show up at SA, it would be my humble suggestion to have either Evan or Johnny but not both. And figure out where to fit in Jeremy, Brandon, and Adam.

The two top Pairs and Skate Dance teams should not skate against each other. Wake up USFS if we will see the USA in the Finals.

Custom Title
    I would select Rachael, Alissa, and Kimmie for SA, and hopefully get Carolyn off to COC.
    This actually makes a great deal of sense. Kimmie probably has the greatest name recognition out of all the ladies, being a former world champion. So let's say Kimmie, Alissa and EITHER Rachael or Caroline at Skate America.

Custom Title
    Clarify something for me please.

The Top 24 season best scores . I know it included the 2008-2009 overall season best scores, but does that include the
    Personal Best Overall scores, Personal Best Free skate scores and the Personal Best short program scores.
    Or does it just mean the season best scores for 2008/2009 (like it mentions after the top 6 are picked.
    Once you get into the 7-12 group it just states the season best-doesn't clarify only the 2008/2009 season.

thank you

I think if USFSA doesn't end up picking Caroline for Skate America, the Japanese federation will pick her for NHK. Or if she does get Skate America, NHK will be her other event.

The Japanese seem pretty fond of Caroline.. She's competed there multiple times and has always gotten a great reception from the crowd. Even when she's not in Japan, the Japanese commentators always sound impressed with her performances.

I just don't know if Skate America and NHK will bode well for Caroline, as Skate America always seems to have a strong field and NHK is bound to be loaded with an incredible Japanese team.

Custom Title
    This actually makes a great deal of sense. Kimmie probably has the greatest name recognition out of all the ladies, being a former world champion. So let's say Kimmie, Alissa and EITHER Rachael or Caroline at Skate America.

Rachael is the ONLY US lady with seeded status. I think that makes her the #1 choice for Skate America. Alissa, as US Champion, would be #2. Kimmie did not even compete at 2009 Nationals, so I would be suprised if she would be chosen for SA ahead of Zhang (3rd), Wagner (4th) and Nagasu (5th).

If Dai, Brian, Patrick, Samuel or even Nobunari show up at SA, it would be my humble suggestion to have either Evan or Johnny but not both. And figure out where to fit in Jeremy, Brandon, and Adam.
    I think the situation in men's is quite similar to ladies'.

First, if either Brian or Patrick show up at Skate America, then Lysacek cannot. SA will certainly choose Lysacek from the 1-3 seeds. Then they will have to take one of Verner, Contesti or Kozuka.

They are not required to invite Abbott, but I think they will because he is U.S. Champion.

So the question mark is Weir. Evan and John G. (what is Johnny's middle name, anyway? ) could very well finish 1 and 2 no matter who else is invited (but watch out for Kozuka!)

Johnny has never liked to do Skate America, even when he was U.S. champion, because it came too early in the season. I believe that last year was his first Skate America (he finished second ahead of Evan.) With Skate America later in the season this year, he may want to do it this time.

Johnny is in a good position with respect to the Grand Prix. Although he can't exactly choose his own events, he can make his wishes known. As the most popular U.S. skater worldwide, yet not seeded this year, I think any of the events would be glad to invite him.
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-01-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Custom Title
    Sorry to reiterate my question.

It does state the top 6 at worlds, and the top 12 gets two.

It does specify after the top 6 the top scores for the 2008/2009 season who beats out the top 6 at worlds gets chosen.

in paragraph 2, it states after the 7-12 gets pick the top24 seasons best scores and/or top 24 world ranking gets one.

Please clarify for me regarding paragraph 2. Does the top 24 scores just includes the 2008/2009 season only.
    Does it include the Personal Best/Season best scores in the Overall, PersonalBest Season Best Short Program/ Personal Best/Season best Free skate.

I would appreciate it very much. Because that is the point I am confused on.
    Top 24 scores only 2008/2009 season or the other.
    thank you

Rachael is the ONLY US lady with seeded status. I think that makes her the #1 choice for Skate America. Alissa, as US Champion, would be #2. Kimmie did not even compete at 2009 Nationals, so I would be suprised if she would be chosen for SA ahead of Zhang (3rd), Wagner (4th) and Nagasu (5th).
    USFSA may not want to put all their eggs in one basket. I know I wouldn't like to see Rachael, Alissa, and Caroline all at Skate America. It would be this season all over again. So Kimmie might be a good "placeholder" for that 3rd spot.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast