Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: 2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

I guess I got lost in following this discussion. Are we talking about Caroline Zhang now?

I think Skate America will go with Alissa, Rachael and Sasha.

I think Zhang will get two others -- possibly China and Canada.

I do not expect the field for Skate America to be any more challenging than the fields for other events.

No, it does not matter to me where any of the skaters is assigned. I am just making guesses about what I think might happen.
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-15-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    It is my understanding that the host federations can choose their own seeded skaters before the draw.
    Thank you for the clarification.

Much ado here on this thread that is just about opinion. Me too. I think YuNa will be at Skate America.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I guess I got lost in following this discussion. Are we talking about Caroline Zhang now?

I think Skate America will go with Alissa, Rachael and Sasha.

I think Zhang will get two others -- possibly China and Canada.

I do not expect the field for Skate America to be any more challenging than the fields for other events.

No, it does not matter to me where any of the skaters is assigned. I am just making guesses about what I think might happen.
    Now that's good. You changed from having the three top US skaters at Skate America to one. Of course Sasha came into the picture

A silver medal for Rachael would be nice but will it happen? I dunno.

Down With It
    SA: Flatt, Cohen, ?

Hopefully Meissner can be the third. If not, then the alternate.

Banned
    What about ice dance? How do you think, where B-A will skate? SA and..... Maybe China or Japon? And Domnina-Shabalin - Russia and .......
    B-A could choose TEB - but will they want to shaow there dances first?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Now that's good. You changed from having the three top US skaters at Skate America to one.
    You wore me down, Joe.

Good luck to Rachael for a silver at Skate America, and good luck to Caroline wherever her fortune takes her.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    SA: Flatt, Cohen, ?

Hopefully Meissner can be the third. If not, then the alternate.
    Why? The third skater may well come out 5th. and NBC will not show her on TV. If YuNa shows up at SA, and a Japanese lady like Yukari or Akikod, the plot thickens.

There's nothing special about SA. All these GPs are the same.except some are less difficult than others.

Twelve more days and we may know who's skating where.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Twelve more days and we may know who's skating where.
    It's more like two weeks, Joe. The ISU meeting is 5/28-30.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

Good luck to Rachael for a silver at Skate America
    Silver??

Go for GOLD, by all means!

Banned
    I was at Skate America '07. Caroline Zhang got standing ovations (partial or full) for all 3 of her skates. I would be surprised if she wasn't sent to SA because the crowd likes her. Sasha seems to be going, and Alissa is national champion. So ... it seems to me it might have to be Sasha, Alissa and Caroline. Sasha, Alissa and Rachael is still a definite possibility though.

Down With It
    If USFS really does have to pick a "seeded" skater from each pool, I can't see why Flatt would NOT be chosen for SA

Never mind.
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-16-2009 at 08:53 PM.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ... I've heard unofficially that the current World Champions can request which GP events they would like and are accommodated if at all possible. For example, Jeff Buttle reportedly requested Skate Canada and China back-to-back last year before he decided to retire.
    I believe Sylvia has a reliable source, but isn't it that even a current World Champ can do so only through his/her own federation?
    I think that Jeff was able to do so because Skate Canada (federation) is one of the hosts.
    BTW there seems to me no evidence of Miki asking the JSF for NHK in Gps '07. She herself IIRC is aware that she skates at ease abroad rather than in home country.

The federation Yuna belongs is not a host in GPs, so I assume that the champ this year doesn't have such say as much as Sylvia writes .... but I might be wrong.
    If I'm wrong I don't think such unofficial custom going on underground is a good thing for the sport though...

ETA:
    But wait, skaters belonging to GP host federations being priviledged is not a good thing either, come to think of it.
    Oh well, the best should be that things go on mechanically...
    Last edited by sorcerer; 05-16-2009 at 10:14 PM.

believe Sylvia has a reliable source, but isn't it that even a current World Champ can do so only through his/her own federation?
    I think that Jeff was able to do so because Skate Canada (federation) is one of the hosts.
    BTW there seems to me no evidence of Miki asking the JSF for NHK in Gps '07. She herself IIRC is aware that she skates at ease abroad rather than in home country.
    Well that's really fair...If your world champ and from a GP federation you can choose your other spots, but otherwise screw you. In the case of Miki she may now she skates better outside of Japan, but no way was she going to turn down the Japanese Federation either, that's not political smart...

I don't see why it's so wrong to let the world champ choose their spots (for the most part) that's just a nice perk.

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast