2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Sasha's return is good even if her comeback attempt is a big flop.
I don't see how her return takes any pressure off our current ladies - or adds much either. I am sure they are going about their regular routines as if nothing has changed.

Cohen will get press that might otherwise have gone to the other ladies. Publicity is a funny thing. Look what it did to Alyssa. If there were 3 spots for 2009 that pressure would have been spread amongst the two of them plus Zhang. Alyssa then may not have crashed and burned in the short (but then again, it may not have mattered much considering her record).

Yes, business will go on as usual. But once the chips are down, the game will change (if she shows up) whether one likes it or not.

I initially thought Sasha would be either 1 or 2 at Natls and be put on Team USA. The more I think about it the less I see this happening. It's not that I just think her time has passed but I think a couple of our young girls will show enough improvement to send Sasha back to SOI.

You tell 'em! :cool:

Rachael, Caroline and Mirai may all finish ahead of Sasha. So could Ashley and Alissa. There is also Kimmie, Emily and others who could have great skates at Nationals. No way am I suggesting they will all beat Sasha - but I believe 3 or four of them could. Caroline has got to be out for blood this year and Mirai has a lot to prove too. We have already seen how determined Rachael is and there is doubt that Ashley wants it too. Sometimes we forget how much these younger skaters can improve in one year.

True. But honestly, until we begin to sample the field in the 2009 GPs, we just don't have much of a basis on which to speculate.

Sasha was never the steadiest jumper and I can't see how she will be better coming back. If anything I suspect her jumps may be more erratic than before. That alone could seal her fate.

This could work both ways (she could be better, or she could be worse). But I agree with you. You either got it or you don't.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
May 30th is a Saturday. I don't know if the ISU will publish the finalized full slate of GP entries right away (the same day or on Sunday) or if they will make us wait until Monday, June 1st (or later that week).

ETA: Last year the ISU published the full slate of GP entries on their site on June 14th but I can't remember if it was the same day as the selection meeting or the day after?
Follow-up to my earlier post -- I believe the GP selection draw took place on June 14th last year (in Monaco) and so the GP entries were in fact published online the same day. One thing to keep in mind is that Vancouver (site of this year's GP selection meeting) is Pacific Coast time.

seniorita

Record Breaker
One thing to keep in mind is that Vancouver (site of this year's GP selection meeting) is Pacific Coast time.
So it's not saturday on canada yet?:p I want to go to paris, it doesnt matter who they will send there, i m just curious..

R.D.

Record Breaker
So it's not saturday on canada yet?:p I want to go to paris, it doesnt matter who they will send there, i m just curious..

I don't know what timezone you are in, but it's currently 10:49am Saturday morning on the US/Canadian west coast as of this post

seniorita

Record Breaker
oh this immediate time-zone service!:rock:
thank you!
i m GMT +1 , it is 20h here!:)

Last edited:
And Sasha does Paris (along with everyone else). Oh, I wish I could be there!

I'm really not too excited about the singles lineup at SA, aside from Sasha.

Lightspear

Rinkside
From the USFSA main page:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=43093

Skate America – Lake Placid, N.Y. – Nov. 12-15
Ladies - Sasha Cohen, Rachael Flatt, TBD
Men's - Ryan Bradley, Evan Lysacek
Pairs - Keauna McLaughlin & Rockne Brubaker, TBD, TBD
Ice Dancing - Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, Madison Chock & Greg Zuerlein, Kim Navarro & Brent Bommentre

Trophée Eric Bompard – Paris, France – Oct. 15-18
Ladies - Sasha Cohen, Alexe Gilles, Caroline Zhang
Men's - Ryan Bradley, Adam Rippon
Pairs - Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir, Kim Navarro & Brent Bommentre
Ice Dancing - Madison Hubbell & Keiffer Hubbell, Emily Samuelson & Evan Bates

Rostlecom Cup – Moscow, Russia – Oct. 22-25
Ladies - Alissa Czisny, Kimmie Meissner, Ashley Wagner
Men's - Brandon Mroz, Johnny Weir
Pairs - Keauna McLaughlin & Rockne Brubaker
Ice Dancing - Meryl Davis & Charlie White

Cup of China – Beijing, China – Oct. 29-Nov. 1
Ladies - Rachael Flatt, Bebe Liang, Mirai Nagasu
Men's - Stephen Carriere, Evan Lysacek, Armin Mahbanoozadeh
Pairs - Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig
Ice Dancing - Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, Madison Chock & Greg Zuerlein

NHK Trophy – Nagano, Japan – Nov. 5-8
Ladies - Becky Bereswill, Kimmie Meissner, Ashley Wagner
Men's - Jeremy Abbott, Adam Rippon, Johnny Weir
Pairs - Caydee Denney & Jeremy Barrett, Rena Inoue & John Baldwin
Ice Dancing - Meryl Davis & Charlie White, Jane Summersett & Todd Gilles

Skate Canada – Kitchener, Ontario, Canada – Nov. 19-22
Ladies - Alissa Czisny, Mirai Nagasu, Caroline Zhang
Men's - Jeremy Abbott, Stephen Carriere, Armin Mahbanoozadeh
Pairs - Caydee Denney & Jeremy Barrett, Caitlin Yankowskas & John Coughlin
Ice Dancing - Madison Hubbell & Keiffer Hubbell, Emily Samuelson & Evan Bates

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly how I predicted what Sasha would get, yet others said it was against the rules. Now tell me, what is the Rule for 2 GPs?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
This is exactly how I predicted what Sasha would get, yet others said it was against the rules. Now tell me, what is the Rule for 2 GPs?

Rule 43FG57HYU786M - Beautiful, charismatic, photogenic, famous and popular skaters get 2 events. :laugh:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't believe the ISU is doing Sasha any kind of favor in giving her TEB. She's been away from competition for more than three years, skating in exhibitions. The only jumps she's done in exhibition are 3T and 3S, and not even landing them consistently.

She has tendonitis in her foot, and she has just 4.5 months to get back the loop, lutz and flip. Then she has to be able to do those jumps in the context of a 4-minute FS with more difficult spins and footwork than she has been doing on tour.

I would not be surprised to see Sasha withdraw from TEB with a real injury.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
I don't believe the ISU is doing Sasha any kind of favor in giving her TEB. She's been away from competition for more than three years, skating in exhibitions. The only jumps she's done in exhibition are 3T and 3S, and not even landing them consistently.

She has tendonitis in her foot, and she has just 4.5 months to get back the loop, lutz and flip. Then she has to be able to do those jumps in the context of a 4-minute FS with more difficult spins and footwork than she has been doing on tour.

I would not be surprised to see Sasha withdraw from TEB with a real injury.

How about you try to not be a Debbie Downer for once, okay? Apparently Sasha has been seen landing all of her triples (including a 3-3) by her fellow SOI companions. It's not like she hasn't left the ice completely, just sat at home, and then decided, "Oh, maybe I should try skating again."

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about you try to not be a Debbie Downer for once, okay? Apparently Sasha has been seen landing all of her triples (including a 3-3) by her fellow SOI companions. It's not like she hasn't left the ice completely, just sat at home, and then decided, "Oh, maybe I should try skating again."

Landing isolated jumps in practice is NOT the same as landing 6 or 7 of them in the context of a competitive program. There is a huge stamina issue, and IMO, 4-5 months of training isn't going to be enough to overcome that.

Furthermore, Sasha has not been landing the simpler jumps consistently in exhibition programs that she's done day in and day out for 6 months. If nerves are a factor in her tour appearances, they will be an even bigger factor in competition. Sasha is a lovely and stylish skater, but she's never been known to be a strong competitor.

tarotx

On the Ice
Sasha is going to have to work hard. RA is going to have to get Sasha to do run-throughs of both of her programs as often as he can get her do them. And Pray for no major injury. Sasha doesn't need to be 100% at TEB. She needs to be 100% at Nationals and, if she qualifies, at the Olympics.

And early in the year Sasha was landing her jumps consistently (though I admit not perfectly). Then something happened in I think March making her jumps hit and miss. Sasha hardly spent time with a coach in the later part of the season unlike the early half and she got tendinitis in her foot.

I have no idea if Sasha can be ready for any of her events but I have my fingers's crossed.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Even the staunch Cohen fans must admit, Chuck has a valid point, and a very strong one IMO. Can she at least hold her own out there? I'd think even if she doesn't get injured, she'd want to avoid showing up at TEB like Emily Hughes last year, who clearly wasn't prepared to perform like she was capable of.

But all this is missing the bigger picture, and that is, which skater will set herself up best for the Olympic games?

And Sasha does Paris (along with everyone else). Oh, I wish I could be there!

I'm really not too excited about the singles lineup at SA, aside from Sasha.
I agree TEB, the first one, is probably the most exciting one to watch LIVE: Kim, Asada, Kostner, Korpi and Cohen.