Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

Custom Title
    Normally, Skate America is in October---right around the time of Regionals. This year, Skate America just happens to be right around the time of Sectionals. So the USFS can use the host pick to exempt a skater from one of the Nationals preps.

For Regionals, the USFS could send a skater to an International "B": Finlandia (10/8 -11) or Ice Challege (10/22-25)

BTW, host picks come FIRST in the GP selection process, before the seed picks. That allows the hosts to pick their own skaters who happen to be seeded for the GP.
    Last edited by chuckm; 05-05-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I know we will know the date of the Drawings eventually, but will we know the order of selection?
    Sylvia reported above (posst 44) that the meeting for the draw will take place May 28-30.

As far as I know the ISU never reveals the draw order. I for one would be very interested in knowing what the order was.

I would be curious to see, for instance, if Mao Asada is the last one chosen from 4-6 because everyone is afraid of her , or whether she is the first chosen because organizing committees are trying to get the best available skaters for their events.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I would be curious to see, for instance, if Mao Asada is the last one chosen from 4-6 because everyone is afraid of her , or whether she is the first chosen because organizing committees are trying to get the best available skaters for their events.
    4-6 would be Mao, Rachael and Laura, right? Here's my guess, then: Mao will go to NHK and TEB, just like last season; Rachael will get SA and CoC, and Laura will go to CoR and SC. No way does the Japanese federation not get Mao for NHK, while at TEB, none of the French ladies are really that competitive anyway so they'll want a major draw. Maybe they should aim to have Mao and Yu-Na !

I imagine USFSA will definitely want Rachael at SA, and Skate Canada will prefer to help Joannie have a good GP showing in the Olympic season so they'll get Lepisto in there. That leaves CoR and CoC, and since Finland is near Russia, I figure Laura will end up there (which also works for the Russian Fed, as Leonova could defeat her). But who knows. Maybe Mao will end up skating at CoR.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 05-05-2009 at 01:47 PM.

^^^
    France has top male skaters and 2 super dance teams. I don't think they care about the Ladies so much. There is enough interest in Paris to draw a skating crowd.

If France does not get to choose Mao because they drew last on the Draw, then someone like China or Russia could well be interested in selecting Mao.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    ...Skate Canada will prefer to help Joannie have a good GP showing in the Olympic season so they'll get Lepisto in there.
    Here is the funny thing to me. Skate Canada might get the short straw in the draw and be last to pick. When it comes their turn, maybe there is no one left except Mao, and they have to take her, thus foiling the plan to arrange a cakewalk for Joannie.

But this never seems to happen. I suppose Skate Canada would approach one of the other federations (France or China) and ask them to take Mao off the table and leave Lepesto. What favor would Canada then do in repayment?

Custom Title
    I suppose Skate Canada would approach one of the other federations (France or China) and ask them to take Mao off the table and leave Lepesto. What favor would Canada then do in repayment?
    Invite Candice Didier or Binshu Xu.

Custom Title
    I don't know that Canadians want to arrange a cakewalk for Joannie. I keep hearing all this talk about how ratings are down for Canadian skating. They have to make it interesting.

Then again, if they want to make it easy for Joannie, they could invite some scrub who didn't even make to the World Championship ..................

................... like Caroline.

I hope Alissa gets Skate Canada. She alsways does well there.

Plus, last year she peaked at U.S. Nationals, but then ran out of steam. Maybe that is because she started so early, with U.S. Collegiates in August, and did a lot of skating early in the season. This season she could pace herself, do Skate America and Skate Canada as the last two Grand Prix events, then cruise on to U.S. Nationals and ...beyond!

Custom Title
    I hope Alissa gets Skate Canada. She alsways does well there.
    Not likely. With two good skates, Alissa could potentially beat Phaneuf and/or Lacoste.

Custom Title
    I hope Alissa gets Skate Canada. She always does well there.

Plus, last year she peaked at U.S. Nationals, but then ran out of steam. Maybe that is because she started so early, with U.S. Collegiates in August, and did a lot of skating early in the season. This season she could pace herself, do Skate America and Skate Canada as the last two Grand Prix events, then cruise on to U.S. Nationals and ...beyond!
    I like your thinking. I'm pulling for this season to be one in which she builds on her Nationals success and come into her own. Go Alissa!!

It's true, Mao is the maverick in this series of events. Other than NHK, she will be a spoiler wherever she goes.

(Hopefully Jeremy will also be a spoiler.)

So much depends on the size of those Straws!

Without knowing the order of the Draws, there may well be some hanky panky dealing among the Feds. We'll never know. It's a backroom affair.

Custom Title
    You have to love it. Middle-age men in ill-fitting suits in a dimly lit, smoke filled room. Half empty beer bottles and crumpled cigarette packs on the table, making shady deals none of us will ever hear about.

YESSSS !!!! Figure skating in its purest form.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    You have to love it. Middle-age men in ill-fitting suits in a dimly lit, smoke filled room. Half empty beer bottles and crumpled cigarette packs on the table, making shady deals none of us will ever hear about.

YESSSS !!!! Figure skating in its purest form.
    so true.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    I think when it come to the men the gp assignments won't matter. Between Weir,Evan, and Abbott who don't want to peak until nationals and olympics and Adam, Carrier, Mroz, Bradly who still need to prove themselves on the GP for the US judges to take notice. Sombody is going to have to nock each other out.Last year Carrier and Bradly had goods chances to make it to the GPFinal but both fail to match their performance in their first GP. Same thing goes for the French Brian, Ponsero, Albert, Florent,*Samuel Contesti.

Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    I think when it come to the men the gp assignments won't matter. Between Weir,Evan, and Abbott who don't want to peak until nationals and olympics and Adam, Carrier, Mroz, Bradly who still need to prove themselves on the GP for the US judges to take notice. Sombody is going to have to nock each other out.Last year Carrier and Bradly had goods chances to make it to the GPFinal but both fail to match their performance in their first GP. Same thing goes for the French Brian, Ponsero, Albert, Florent,*Samuel Contesti.
    Good rationale, enlight, but it's all in the points, and if Evan, Brian and Patrick each get 30 points, All the other Americans, French, and Canadian Men will probably not be included in the last six, although I am a big fan of Ponsero, I think it will be Kozuka, Brezina and Nobunari if not Weir. All getting minimum of 26 points.

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast