2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2009-10 ISU Grand Prix selection guidelines

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I
That said, you are absolutely right that the USFS could still deny Cohen that spot and send her elsewhere in order for Nagasu or Zhang to have a shot. Frankly, I think that would be a mistake. I think the way to do it is to go ahead and offer Cohen that third spot, but to make doubly sure that the alternate (whomever it is) is ready for the event in the likely case that Cohen withdraws.

Please recognize that the USFS cannot "send Sasha elsewhere" other than an obscure "B" International. Sasha would have to receive a GP invitation from another federation, and despite the new rule about returning former seeds, I'm not sure she can qualify as someone who "through no fault of [her] own" sat out competitions since Worlds 2006.

I'm rather put off by Cohen shamelessly angling for that SA spot when she's done zilch in the past 3 1/2 years to promote US figure skating.

And I don't think she'd fill that many seats at Lake Placid, either. LP is very out in the boondocks, expensive to fly to, and is in a region where a heavy November snow is a distinct possibility.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Please recognize that the USFS cannot "send Sasha elsewhere" other than an obscure "B" International. Sasha would have to receive a GP invitation from another federation, and despite the new rule about returning former seeds, I'm not sure she can qualify as someone who "through no fault of [her] own" sat out competitions since Worlds 2006.

She left the competitive scene on her own will. Unless the ISU wants to bend their own rules, I don't think Cohen will be offered any Gp events other than SA. A "B" International is definitely better than nothing at all.

I'm rather put off by Cohen shamelessly angling for that SA spot when she's done zilch in the past 3 1/2 years to promote US figure skating.

USFS still has the final say, though. She is at their mercy. If Cohen does get the SA spot the USFS is who you should be mad at.

And I don't think she'd fill that many seats at Lake Placid, either. LP is very out in the boondocks, expensive to fly to, and is in a region where a heavy November snow is a distinct possibility.

I don't think her presence will make as huge an impact as, say, MK would, but one can't deny that she's definitely a bigger name overall than Rachel Flatt or Caroline Zhang.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's no denying that Cohen is a bigger name than Flatt or Zhang, but I still don't see her filling that big arena at Lake Placid. It's too hard to get to, and getting there requires driving through what is basically wilderness at a time of year when the going could be very rough.

And with Sasha's record of SA attendance, there's a good chance that she won't even be there after all. People will surely take that into consideration before ordering tickets. It would be a bummer if they expected Sasha and got Becky Bereswill instead.

R.D.

Record Breaker
No way will the presence of Cohen translate to a sellout event or even a well-attended event.

But I think there will be many MORE people than OTHERWISE would be there without her. (BTW, I completely agree with you- I don't think she will last until SA. If she does, I will be the first one to say I underestimated her. Happy now, PM?)

I don't know the Lake Placid area, or even where it was located until I looked at a map. I was actually considering going there before I knew where it was, since I'd be on the Eastern seaboard at event time- that is, if it was within commute of NYC. Apparently it's not even close, so I scrapped that idea promptly.

There's no denying that Cohen is a bigger name than Flatt or Zhang, but I still don't see her filling that big arena at Lake Placid. It's too hard to get to, and getting there requires driving through what is basically wilderness at a time of year when the going could be very rough.

And with Sasha's record of SA attendance, there's a good chance that she won't even be there after all. People will surely take that into consideration before ordering tickets. It would be a bummer if they expected Sasha and got Becky Bereswill instead.
I was hoping to get to SA because Lake P is as close to me as any GP comp will be for a while. And if Sasha is not there, I will still be thrilled to see a live GP competition, whoever's there. Including Becky Bereswill. I thought she did a great job at... whatever it was she won. (Sorry!)

No need to blame Sasha in May for an imaginary uproar in November, or put down less famous skaters (especially by name). Good grief.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd rather go to Lake Placid for the JUNIOR Grand Prix event, not the Senior GP event. For one thing, the weather is a lot better in September than in November, and for another, the tickets are much, much cheaper. And most important: there's no need to shell out $$ well in advance for a roster of skaters that may or may not be in attendance when the actual competition takes place.

OK, now I'm getting sore. For all those non-New Yorkers out there, Lake Placid is in the Adirondacks, one of the most beautiful places in the Eastern USA. It's a beloved vacation area for anyone who loves mountains and lakes. Give yourself time to drive around and enjoy the scenery and if possible hike a little. There are loads of restaurants and you'll be breathing Olympian air. Don't listen to chuckm, listen to me! Go, New York! Go, Becky, Caroline, Ashley, Rachael and *Sasha*!

(I've only lived in NJ for two years.)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been to Lake Placid and agreed, it is a beautiful place to go at the end of summer. But in winter, it's a tough sell, given the snowfall in the region.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have been to Lake Placid and agreed, it is a beautiful place to go at the end of summer. But in winter, it's a tough sell, given the snowfall in the region.

Very true.... but I say SO WHAT!!!!!!! It's international competitive figure skating in the USA. Buck up and support the sport! There's supposed to be snow and cold in the Adirondacks in November! So dress warm, and go!

I don't know why Caroline fans think she will have a tougher time at Skate America than at some other GP event. At Skate America her only competition could turn out to be Rachael (whom she can beat) and Miki (whom she might beat.)

If she doesn't go to Skate America, but somewhere else instead, she might end up facing Yu-na Kim, Mao Asada, Carolina Kostner and Yukari Nakano, all at the same competition.
If Caroline gets SA, she may also be competing against YuNa since Canada will have Joannie for SC and possibly Yukari as well as Rachael.Throw in Mirai and Caroline may go walking. It's all specs, and we have to wait for this secret draw. I like Caroline more than than the others including Sasha but she has to prove herself as unpressured like Kwan. She hasn't quite done that yet.

Anyway, if I were Shep Goldberg (Caroline's agent) I would be lobbying the uSFSA as hard as I could to get Caroline's face on U.S. television as much as possible between now and the Olympics. It might mean a Wheaties box for her! :rock:
Caroline's been doing well with her publicity so far. To push her ahead of the others would not be fair. Wait for Olys results. As for wheaties, I refuse to eat or buy anything that General Mills makes because the face of Greg Louganis was refused and you know why.

I think the NBC TV situation also needs to be considered. Since they are televising SA, I'm sure USFS will be under SOME pressure to offer Cohen a spot because that would mean she gets TV coverage, which would give NBC something to promote for Nationals and the Olympics, and possibly give SA a small ratings boost, not to mention higher attendance for the event.
Indeed, I believe NBC still holds the best cards in this game, but they want a WINNER, and not Japanese. No?

The USFS could still deny Cohen that spot and send her elsewhere in order for Nagasu or Zhang to have a shot. Frankly, I think that would be a mistake. I think the way to do it is to go ahead and offer Cohen that third spot, but to make doubly sure that the alternate (whomever it is) is ready for the event in the likely case that Cohen withdraws.
I know how much you care for Sasha, but we are talking about the gateway to the Olys. Sasha can get to Vancouver by just getting the ok from the USFS without doing SA. Of course she has to make an impression at Nats unless she wins it. I think it would be a mistake if she does a GP event with the blessing of an exception by the ISU because she is under tremendous pressure as it is. If she loses the GP, she will have to win the Nats - repeat WIN the Nats whereas if she skips SA, she will not have to win the Nats but just make a fantastic showing that she is competitive.

My specs on SA and also on Sasha will rest until the Draw for SA is announced, and WOW! what an announcement that will be on many levels. A few weeks more?

...I will still be thrilled to see a live GP competition, whoever's there. Including Becky Bereswill. I thought she did a great job at... whatever it was she won. (Sorry!)

That would be the Junior Grand Prix Finals last year. :rock:

Unless you mean the Texas Relays half mile. :)

http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2008/121708.shtml

Bereswill (also) competes in track and cross country races for Episcopal High School, where she is a senior honor student.

Bereswill specializes in the half mile run and 4x800 meter relay. "Running was just something I picked up to help my skating," she said. "Then the track coach recruited me to run."

She medaled at the conference championships in 2007 in the half mile. Last year, Her 4x800-meter relay team won the high school division gold medal at the Texas Relays, setting a school record pace. Her team has won the conference championship two years in a row.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I had no idea Bereswill did track as well.

But I know this: she's a hometown girl. :agree: ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I know how much you care for Sasha, but we are talking about the gateway to the Olys. Sasha can get to Vancouver by just getting the ok from the USFS without doing SA. Of course she has to make an impression at Nats unless she wins it. I think it would be a mistake if she does a GP event with the blessing of an exception by the ISU because she is under tremendous pressure as it is. If she loses the GP, she will have to win the Nats - repeat WIN the Nats whereas if she skips SA, she will not have to win the Nats but just make a fantastic showing that she is competitive.

Let me make COMPLETELY clear to you that what I just said was based on what I thought would STRATEGICALLY work for USFS (given their relationship with NBC, SA organizers, etc.). As far as my personal feelings are concerned, I'd rather other skaters on the Olympic team, anyway.

But you're right on the last part.

Correct me if I am remembering this wrong, but back in 1994 when Brian Boitano and other past Olympians wanted to re-instate, I got the feeling that USFS was lukewarm about the whole idea. It was the USOC that pushed them into it, citing the collapse of amateurism in the Olympics and subsequent changes of eleigibility rules (give Jim Thorpe his medals back! :cool: )

It is not at all clear to me how USFS will respond. I think it is significant that Sasha has not said that she has had discussions with USFS, only that she has told them that she would "accept an invitation if it were offered."

USFS may have moved on from the Kwan-Cohen era, even if we haven't.

Last edited:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Michelle Kwan in senior-level competition 1992 - 2006
Sasha Cohen in senior-level competition 2000 - 2010?

"Kwan/Cohen era"? Why does that myth continue to get propagated? Michelle is more than 4 years older and was in senior competition 8 years prior to Sasha. They aren't of the "same era." Sasha just overlaps the end of Michelle's era up until this one. Sasha coming back isn't the same as Michelle coming back who is more than 4 years her senior. Michelle quitting doesn't mean Sasha should quit. Why do people keep saying this stuff?

^ I will change what I wrote:

New version: Maybe the USFSA has moved on from the Cohen era.