Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Changing The Image Of Men's Figure Skating

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Changing The Image Of Men's Figure Skating

Here is one the many clips going around showing Elvis Stojko's take on the image of Men's figure skating today.

What's your take?

Custom Title
    So that is the reason the ratings are down, real men have stopped watching it.

I saw this on American television yesterday, and thought "now what?" I remember when Michael Weiss use to compete and the sport analyst use to make a big deal about him having a wife and a kid. They also use to point out that he was a huge football fan. They did the same thing with Elvis with his Martial Arts background and dirt biking. It was so obvious that they were trying to make their toughness and machoness standout. A straight guy in this sport has a very difficult time maintaining their masculine image intact. The minute the public knows that they skate, the questions, the teasing, the bullying arise. When that stupid Blades of Glory came out I wanted to puke. I knew they would make a mockery of my favorite sport.

I had hoped that by this time we as a society have accepted the fact that there are many layers to being a man, not just one of beer drinking, fist fighting, gun toting, and rear-slapping team sports. A man is capable of using his strength, his dance-ability, his musicality, his creativity, basically his genious to create a master piece that will both move us and leave us wanting more without us having to ever question whether it is gay in nature or not.

Why is it, we underestimate man? Is today's man really bothered by figure skating?

Okay, I am going to stop now, I think I lost track of what I was going to say.

Custom Title
    I find this highly ironic, as what drew me to men's figure skating in the first place was the beautiful skating of skaters like Stephane Lambiel and Jeffrey Buttle, not the tough-guy posturing of other skaters considered more 'macho.'

I doubt that the people who exclusively like the hard-hitting tough-guy action of hockey and other more physical sports would ever like figure skating, a strictly non-contact sport. As a hockey fan myself, I watch figure skating and hockey for two completely different reasons.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    SC sends really confusing signals!

I have to agree on costumes. What is the point of sequines and bangels?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I have notice this past season or two that the Canadian men, esp Jeff Buttle and Vaughn Chiper have been wearing very simple costumes. Patrick, while more decorative has been pretty classic. I tend to like this style more....authough I hated Vaughn Chiper's blue tourist shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I have to agree on costumes. What is the point of sequines and bangels?
    - even with ladies, they go overboard on the "bling" i.m.o.

Surprised someone isn't mentioning uniforms by now. The worst thing to say around people who sell outfits for skaters. Although the people who are making them definitely have been making the guys costumes look like this in the first place.

Elvis has been on this for a while, and I see his point. One most assuredly needs to listen to the complete comment of what he is suggesting. As soon as someone mentions the word Macho, people exaggerate 'think their own concepts' and he is looking at a number of different views before encouraging direction.

It is going to have the association of "gay" as soon as there is a guy dancing solo in some minds. So be it.
    The prerogative of the skater is the definitive aspect of an expressive sport - this is a great aspect of this sport I.M.O. The only things to adjust are the forum / elements of the competition and put restrictions on the "costume" - i.e. Kat Witt comparable ruling of appropriate attire.

Also a skaters responsibility to think "what can help" and just try it themselves?? - examples?? Is Evan L. doing better with publicity due to his more "macho" persona, compared to other skaters who are more feminine ???

Well, women I think have always "faired / sold" better in the arena of F.S. anyway, so maybe the thought is to stay consistent with what has been the larger aspect of popularity to the sport itself ??

Historic to media exposure, the Feminine side (ladies) has "sold" better than the masculine side (men) so individuals' attempt to change the formula for men (possibly to gain more attention?) was to do what the girls were in getting all that publicity??? Maybe this has upset the balance of the sport and what has really hurt the popularity???

Who knows, but I think trying different ideas is the right course to see. It is not really compromising the sport any to have these ideas and implement on small scales. j.m.o.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 05-03-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    When that stupid Blades of Glory came out I wanted to puke. I knew they would make a mockery of my favorite sport.
    There is one thing everyone forgets about Blades of Glory ..................

.................. The two guys were STRAIGHT !! .......

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I saw this on the news the other night. Elvis Stojko is campaigning here with Skate Canada to change the image of male skaters. It would seem some of the Canadian men viewers are watching their favorite past time - Hockey. Oh well....

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    I saw this on the news the other night. Elvis Stojko is campaigning here with Skate Canada to change the image of male skaters. It would seem some of the Canadian men viewers are watching their favorite past time - Hockey. Oh well....
    Really? Just yesterday William Thompson, the CEO of Skate Canada, repudiated Elvis' remarks, saying;

For the record, while Elvis Stojko is entitled to comment on skating as he sees fit, he in no way speaks for Skate Canada and the views he recently expressed are not representative of the views of the leadership team at Skate Canada.
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/news_vi...2009/may_6.cfm

gotta love PR clean up.

Figure skating is what it is.

Joe Six-pack is never going to like it, even if you promote it as a blood sport and advertise all the hideous falls the pairs have had.

Changing the sport in any way to "butch" it up will more than likely result in very few new fans whilst simultaneously alienating and losing the old fans.

Again, just because the US ladies are not at the top of podiums and keeping interest for US fans it doesn't mean that the rest of the world is not enjoying a boost in viewing figures for skating.

Ant

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Really? Just yesterday William Thompson, the CEO of Skate Canada, repudiated Elvis' remarks, saying;

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/news_vi...2009/may_6.cfm
    I would rather believe in Mr. Thompson than believe in the media.

if you took a poll of ardent fans and asked them which Division (Men or Ladies) they are anxious to watch, if both divisions have several top competitors, as the case in this coming season?

In the USA, I would say Ladies much much much more than Men. And I think that is what Stoyko is driving at.

As I said many times, it all started with Henie, and that is the fixture of figure skating. Button had a run with popularity but not nearly as much as Sonia.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    In the USA, I would say Ladies much much much more than Men. And I think that is what Stoyko is driving at.
    I think that's the crux of it. I wonder what the response would be in other georgraphic areas.

Personally I was never interested in ladies until 1995 worlds when , for the first time i actually enjoyed some of the ladies (lulu and kwan). Kwan kept me watching the ladies until she stopped competing. I can more or less pass on the ladies again.

Ant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast