Changing The Image Of Men's Figure Skating | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Changing The Image Of Men's Figure Skating

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks to everyone who explained about it! Sometimes, I tend to jump into conclusion too fast.:p Maybe the swing is so beautiful in tennis which has attracted those figure skating boys?:biggrin:;) But I still don't get it why soccer is a sissy sport? I started to use size one too - a new tradition that I rarely saw GS members use untill medusa and seniorita came.:laugh:

Right, Mary Carillo. I like her Olympic Ice program very much!

The image of soccer/football is slowly changing here. In USA the best boy athletes have never played soccer coz if they were really talented athletically it would be hard to make a living playing soccer. So they played other sports. Here, the money is in NFL styled football, baseball and basketball. And even hockey but that is still bigger in Canada than USA.
So without a pro league until recently there was not much reason for best US male athletes to play soccer. It was always for the boys who could not play the more popular sports. Now, we have a pro league, we have many more scholarships for soccer to univeristies than in the past - so more boys, and finaly better boy athletes are playing soccer. With the girls it is different - soccer is wildly popular with young girls in USA. And now more boys are playing. One day we may even win the World Cup!! :rock:

jennylovskt

Medalist
One day we may even win the World Cup!! :rock:

Thanks, janetfan! OT: I have learned to appreciate and watched the World Cup 2006. Do you know which team I was rooting for? The Germany. Reason: They were so handsome, especially the center. He looked a little like Matt Damon.:p I'll behave now!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Do you call also gymnastics sissy sport???In Athens 2004 i was volunteering, between others I also passed from tennis+gymnastics, I want to say i dont know why you call every great sport sissy(or any sport) but Fernando Gonzalez is hot. And Nemov too.:eek:
am i out of subject?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Do you call also gymnastics sissy sport???In Athens 2004 i was volunteering, between others I also passed from tennis+gymnastics, I want to say i dont know why you call every great sport sissy(or any sport) but Fernando Gonzalez is hot. And Nemov too.:eek:
am i out of subject?

I am sure I did not call gymnastics a "sissy sport." I did not call any other sport a "sissy sport" either. I did make comments about how and why soccer/football has been considered by some a "sissy sport."

For me the only sport I can call a true "sissy sport" would be the university sport of "all night beer drinking." I remember winning many of these "sporting contests" when I was younger. The rules were simple - drink as much beer as you can and then a bunch of guys would line up and start pissing. Last man done was the winner (for seniorita - "sissy" can be slang for "urine") ;)

seniorita

Record Breaker
you was just a general you , not asking someone specific..;)I know you didnt.
ancient greece...we can talk about this and the pages will reach plushy thread in dt. It was another philosophy about the liberty of body and mind.
mathman i was ready to quote your previous post, me personally i liked it :laugh:

Medusa

Record Breaker
I started to use size one too - a new tradition that I rarely saw GS members use untill medusa and seniorita came.:laugh:
Great. Now it's all our fault.

Thanks, janetfan! OT: I have learned to appreciate and watched the World Cup 2006. Do you know which team I was rooting for? The Germany. Reason: They were so handsome, especially the center. He looked a little like Matt Damon.:p I'll behave now!
Michael Ballack?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Not in USA. It's a sissy sport - I know it's ridiculous. Like considering soccer a sissy sport.

... since WHEN? I seriously don't see this USA that you do... Tennis and Soccer (and Golf) are considered CO-ED sports, not women's sports... shoot we have a lot of STARS that are MALE in Tennis over the years... I don't even watch Tennis and I know who they are...

Tennis, Golf, and Soccer (and maybe even Gymnastics) aren't beer swigging redneck men sports, sure... but they certainly don't have that "sissy" stigma.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Great. Now it's all our fault.

:biggrin::yes:

Yes, it's him. I was rooting for the Germany from the beginning. And was very happy when they finally won. I remembered he had tears after they won.:)

... since WHEN? I seriously don't see this USA that you do... Tennis and Soccer (and Golf) are considered CO-ED sports, not women's sports... shoot we have a lot of STARS that are MALE in Tennis over the years... I don't even watch Tennis and I know who they are...

Tennis, Golf, and Soccer (and maybe even Gymnastics) aren't beer swigging redneck men sports, sure... but they certainly don't have that "sissy" stigma.

I am actually glad if it's like what you said because I am getting more and more sensitive and sometimes nervous too.:biggrin:

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
The British are more laid-back then the Germans (we are German after all, we take stuff seriously!). The most drastic they would say is: "Hmm, I would have judged that differently" or "That surprises me now". But those moments are really rare.

Chris Howarth and nicky slater are pretty laid back even when they disagree or don't understand (like Meisnner's low placement in her GP SP - was it TEB?). But Simon Reed does not hold back - he really did make some heated comments about both Czisny and Flatt's SP placements at worlds, though he is seemingly more clueless about skating generally!

Ant

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont care what they say, even for the british accent and their humor I could listen to them for hours:biggrin:if you know a way to watch english eurosport outside britain, please pass your wisdom!:)
I started to use size one too - a new tradition that I rarely saw GS members use untill medusa and seniorita came.:laugh:
I dont take any credits for this, I blindly follow what Medusa does :laugh:

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I dont care what they say, even for the british accent and their humor I could listen to them for hours:biggrin:if you know a way to watch english eurosport outside britain, please pass your wisdom!:)

Thankfully I've never had the need to try and access British Eurosport outside of the UK, i've always been lucky enough to have a base in the UK with a paid subscription to Eurosport.

I know that the commentators always mention the internet player for Eurosport but i don't know if you automatically get the commentary in the language of the country you are viewing in.

During ice re-surfacing etc Nicky and Chris often read out and answer emails that have come in and they frequently read out emails that have come in from all over Europe (mentioning Hungary, Germany and Poland in one email section once) which makes me think that people in those countries must be watching the English commentary.

I know when I have been in Europe on holiday there are English pubs (which i usually avoid like the plague on holiday!) which show Eurosport with English commentary but i don't know what they do to get it, but it must be possible.

Ant

I still do not understand why some posters cling to either black or white? There are two kinds of sports. Solo Sports and Team Sports. Why either of them should be called sissy sport or macho sport, is irrelevant.

Those players entering a Solo Sport are self centered and need something to boost up their lifestyles. Those players entering Team Sport are in need of socilializing with others of the same sex.

Is Women's Basketball a Butch Sport? or is the marathon Butch? and does it matter?

seniorita

Record Breaker
thank you Ant for info. Unfortunately from internet player you have the language of the country that has its own channel, otherwise something relevant, in belgium we get the french commentary from tv and internet subscriptions. Or dutch. Maybe some countries like hungary and polland dont have their own and have registration with english.
Figure skating in a pub along with pines of guiness????:eek:Are you out of your bloody mind?:laugh:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Those players entering a Solo Sport are self centered and need something to boost up their lifestyles. Those players entering Team Sport are in need of socilializing with others of the same sex.

I assume that you have to be joking Joe. I think the reasons anyone goes into any sport, being team or solo is first and foremost - i love or at least a strong liking of the sport, and secondly some talent at the sport or at least a desire to learnt to "master" the sport.

There are far easier things for "self centred [people who] need something to boost up their lifestyles" to do than become elite athletes!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
thank you Ant for info. Unfortunately from internet player you have the language of the country that has its own channel, otherwise something relevant, in belgium we get the french commentary from tv and internet subscriptions. Or dutch. Maybe some countries like hungary and polland dont have their own and have registration with english.
Figure skating in a pub along with pines of guiness????:eek:Are you out of your bloody mind?:laugh:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I've never seen figure skating on in a pub in my while life either here or abroad. Perhaps in 1994 when T&D made their comeback but otherwise not likely! ;)

Ant

Buttercup

Record Breaker
During ice re-surfacing etc Nicky and Chris often read out and answer emails that have come in and they frequently read out emails that have come in from all over Europe (mentioning Hungary, Germany and Poland in one email section once) which makes me think that people in those countries must be watching the English commentary.
One possiblity is that people are watching a TV feed with the sound muted and Eurosport audio stream - you can access it on the ES website and it's free.