Changing The Image Of Men's Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Changing The Image Of Men's Figure Skating

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Buttercup, I definitely agree with you and Mathman that David Dore's influence on COP cannot be denied.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Also Belgium and Germany and Mediterranean countries, I m not sure for Italy though ,I dont know about east countries also,but i think mens are more popular in most european countries, no?

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
The Eurosport model has everything to do with the US, because it shows that without requiring an unreasonable amount of effort from the broadcast team, the viewers can easily understand how the judging is done.

This may be irrelevant, but I recall all the stuttering and muttering coming from my Eurosport commentators, when Chan won TEB 2008 over Kozuka. They kept saying "but it's ehm the overall quality of his skating" and sounded so uncertain and insecure, that I went completely LOL :laugh: But ah it was late in the evening and I was probably the only person in the country who watched that broadcast, so no harm was really done.

viv

On the Ice
What Eurosport Nations/language commentators are you talking about? They have the same program but different labguage commentators, and at least in English and German there are two of them.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I agree with the sentiments about the British Eurosport commentators. They point out underrotations, comment on levels and are sometimes hilarious to boot.

For all the Americans who regularly watch NBC, do Scott and Sandra (and whoever is in the booth with them) point out levels and such? From the NBC videos I see on Youtube, I don't think so but I'm not sure...

PJ Kwong usually does a decent job on CBC.

dancingqueen

On the Ice
My mistake. It sounds like that you have a great variety of tastes. Good for you! In general, I am very picky whether it's figure skating, dancing, painting, sculptures, photographs, or fashions. Some I find great, others I might find absurd.
Well, that's me - enjoyng being picky.:biggrin:

:laugh: I’m super picky too. and many people are picky in their own way and for their own different reasons.

I think the difference is that I don’t have femininity-phobia, whether in men or in women. Which, it seems, so many people have this phobia.

viv

On the Ice
That's what I meant. Specifically, Chris, who's usually really good. Of course, even he can't explain some results. But the less said about that the better :).

I agree. I usually switch between British and German Eurosport. In German, Hendryk Schamberger also in quite good at commenting CoP, whereas Sigi Heinrich mostly does the gossip part. :biggrin:

For all the Americans who regularly watch NBC, do Scott and Sandra (and whoever is in the booth with them) point out levels and such? From the NBC videos I see on Youtube, I don't think so but I'm not sure...

Scott does make general comments along the lines, in this new system every little thing that the skaters do gains them an extra point. He most often says it in a negative way, as if to imply that junking up the program with all this stuff detracts from the performance rather than enhancing it.

Scott and Sandra rarely say much about levels, or about why a particular element might qualify for a positive GOE or anything like that. They do raise the question (in real time) of whether a jump might be downgraded or recieve an edge call.

seniorita

Record Breaker
i looove the british eurosport guys, they always have something good to say about all the skaters, from the one who medals to last, emphasizing what they do well and not what they are bad at.
Most of all reasons I love them cause they really know during a program when it needs to remain silent.:)

jennylovskt

Medalist
:laugh: I’m super picky too. and many people are picky in their own way and for their own different reasons.

I think the difference is that I don’t have femininity-phobia, whether in men or in women. Which, it seems, so many people have this phobia.

Whatever name you want to give. I don't care.

Last edited:

dancingqueen

On the Ice
British eurosports sounds great ! I wish US commentators were more like that.
Especially , I hope Sandra will be replaced by someone like that. Her voice and comments often annoy me. I thought Paul Wylie was good commentator. My personal taste. :)

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I was talking about Dutch Eurosport commentators. One of the two guys is an ISU-judge. Go figure :)

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
:

So true ! Alot of people do seem to have a bias against femininity, whether it be in men or women.

Even women nowadays seem to want to be macho :eek: :eek: :eek: ugh

Why that is, is beyond me.

Femininity-phobia. That's the word !

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Buttercup, I definitely agree with you and Mathman that David Dore's influence on COP cannot be denied.

isn't David Dore the one that Kurt wrote about in his book that encouraged team Canada to get as many medals as possible. Which then became their mantra: "Medals, medals, medals!" ?