Changing The Image Of Men's Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Changing The Image Of Men's Figure Skating

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Is it safe here to say I never got Elvis style of skating, I ve seen him only after 1998 and I know his grand history in fs but he was the less pleasant to watch(fpr me always).
I have this vague recollection of Elvis dancing with Laurent Tobel at the end of the 2000 Worlds gala. It may have been a waltz. Did this really happen? Does anyone know?

I still can't get over the zebra thing. I'm debating who I can forward it to.

Wasn't the "Toccata and Fugue" program meant to be ironical and so the costume?
Possibly, I'm not sure. But ironical does not have to mean ugly. ;)

The economic crisis is going to take it's toll on many things, and skating is one of them. The only comment i was making was the myopic declarations of the end of figure skating because there isn't a US ice princess out there winning everything. Britain, Italy and other countries with few top level skaters have already lived through a time with no skating on television and only one skater or couple in each event. It's not the end of the world.
Yes, what Ant said :agree:. Ant, how come you're posting on the weekend?

The Paso Doble is a March and is played at the entrance of the Picadores and the Torreadores. Of course it is danced to during fiesta time after the bullfight.

The Killian does not have the fanfare so no rose for either Lorent or Evgeni. Strictly two macho guys dancing.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Oh i wouldnt imagine, i didnt want to upset you that much :p
I sent it to a friend next to an actual picture of the medal ceremony and told her to try and spot the differences.

She thought it was funny :biggrin:. Feel free to post more!

Wasn't it the Kilian, which is a march?
Thanks for clarifying! I actually taped that gala and it was around my parents' house for several years, but at some point it was sadly lost and all I could remember was that they were definitely skating together. It was funny.

life684

Final Flight
I hope they don't aggressively straighten things up, things do snap and they there is no way of fixing it.

Medusa

Record Breaker
FYI, message from William Thompson posted on the Skate Canada site.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/news_views/news/2008_2009/may_6.cfm
This is a great statement. But what was up with this then? This is talking about the "gay" and "girly" (as a woman / girl I am always insulted by the term "girly") - and
Skate Canada statement said:
In an interview, Debbi Wilkes, Skate Canada Director, Marketing and Communications, used the word ‘tough’, intending it in a common meaning - difficult. What Debbi meant was that to be successful at the elite level, an athlete has to be physically and mentally strong.
Debbi Wilkes said more than just this, she was talking about "gay" - she said: "I would venture to say to even generalise that all male figure skaters are gay, is a tremendous mistake". A tremendous mistake in my book is by the way; something like invading Iraq or selling weapons to every country there is, not generalising that all male skaters are gay.

The whole thing talks mostly about men, it finishes with Pojé making the standard "we are around the hot girls in short skirts"-joke - so did cbc also have their facts wrong? Did they interview people who don't speak for Skate Canada?

^ I think Medusa's point is not that there is something wrong with the video, but rather that it flatly contradicts what the President of Skate Canada said and makes him look like a fool.

In this video it says flat out, without possibility of misunderstanding, that the reason for the new "Tough" marketing campaign was to counter the image of men's figure skating as a gay sport.

Thompson's backpedaling "clarification" says, no, no, it has nothing to do with gay -- and then throws Elvis under the bus to boot.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
^ I think Medusa's point is not that there is something wrong with the video, but rather that it flatly contradicts what the President of Skate Canada said and makes him look like a fool.

In this video it says flat out, without possibility of misunderstanding, that the reason for the new "Tough" marketing campaign was to counter the image of men's figure skating as a gay sport.

Thompson's backpedaling "clarification" says, no, no, it has nothing to do with gay -- and then throws Elvis under the bus to boot.

I see what you mean. Thanks, MM!

I think there is nothing wrong with Skate Canada doing so called "tough" campaign, and try to make the public to understand how hard the sport is and not to generalize that all male skaters are gays. There is no reason to avoid that it is mainly regarding to men's skating and male figure skaters. What has said in this video is different from what Elvis Stojko said. Elvis said to make the men's skating "macho", which Mr.Thompson has already clearly stated that it's solely Elvis's personal view.

Well, it's a very perky march. :)

Here's an example with a more traditional coupling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUX9--ZfW9o&feature=related

Perhaps off topic, but that was a delight! I love these compulsory dances. The iSU should drop the free dance and have three compulsories instead.

PS. Do singles skaters learn these steps? Scott Hamilton mentioned in his autobiography that as a teenager he could pick up a little extra cash by partnering girls who were testing in dance levels.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
PS. Do singles skaters learn these steps? Scott Hamilton mentioned in his autobiography that as a teenager he could pick up a little extra cash by partnering girls who were testing in dance levels.

Singles skaters are not required to learn compulsory dances, any more than pair skaters are. But many do learn some dances just for fun or actually train and test dances with dance coaches as a way to improve their overall skating.

I think there is nothing wrong with Skate Canada doing so called "tough" campaign, and try to make the public to understand how hard the sport is and not to generalize that all male skaters are gays.

I think Skate Canada is dancing on a tightrope.

The thrust of the campaign seems to be: figure skating is a demanding sport, requiring great athleticism, co-ordination, strength, endurance, toughness and grit. Plus, there is the ever-present risk of injury.

Therefore it is wrong to categorize male skaters as gay.

Where are we going here? Gay people do not have strength, endurance and grit? They don’t get injured?

jennylovskt

Medalist
I think Skate Canada is dancing on a tightrope.

The thrust of the campaign seems to be: figure skating is a demanding sport, requiring great athleticism, co-ordination, strength, endurance, toughness and grit. Plus, there is the ever-present risk of injury.

Therefore it is wrong to categorize male skaters as gay.

Where are we going here? Gay people do not have strength, endurance and grit? They don’t get injured?

:biggrin:It's so funny if you put this way. I think the public is (not you, or the ardent fans) confused on those two different things, not Skate Canada. Those two things are separated but both need to be clarified.

Edited to add: I think to emphasize how tough and demanding the sport is is to dispute with the general belief that it is a girly sport.

Last edited:
I think living in New York City, one knows that gays are everywhere. In research, medicine, finance, teaching, the clergy, and in sports. Not all are effeminate as one might expect. Many are married with children, too. There is no reason not for them to be in figure skating or even hockey if they enjoy these pasttimes.

If you have no gay friends, one can accept them as if they were someone from another country they knew nothing about. But you know many great gay scholars and artists and why not sportsman?

btw - The Argentine Tango was created in the province of the Pampas where there were hardly any women in that area, so the men when off duty would dance their version of the Tango together. Maybe that it why it looks kind of rough.