Changing The Image Of Men's Figure Skating | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Changing The Image Of Men's Figure Skating

Brandi_DeLain

On the Ice
Certainly one can debate the outcome of the second of Evan's U.S. titles, but he won his first by nearly 30 points. His free skate basically tore the roof off.

I agree, and so does Johnny. When talking about the 2007 U.S. title, Johnny said, "Evan didn't just beat me, he kicked my @ss." :laugh:

2008 was a different story, but we've already beat that dead horse, so I see no need to revisit it.

Arguing (in the debate sense) against the make-up of the scoring system is futile. I feel the scores maybe in but they do not fully answer questions. It is just awarding of points without any rrecourse to explanation is what is warranted, or should I say, 'bugs me'?

Hypothetical Scenario on judging an element Why did you not give skater 22 a GoE of 2 instead of a GoE of -1.

Judge Reply - he was wrong to not utilize bullet no.4 in the descriptive scoring instructions.

Another Judge Reply - I gave him a -1 on that Flip because he did not use transitions even though the Flip wass perfect.

Still another Judge Reply - I gave him a +2 because his entire program was special.

Well, that's the way of system

Gkelly raises an interesting point. We are used to saying that Johnny is "artistic' and Evan is not. But was that really the case for that skate on that night?

In my opinion, the "least artistic" (whatever that means :) ) skate of Johnny's career was the performance he won a world bronze medal with.

Well, that's the way of system

I think that's the way of any system of judging, Joe. "Judging" means giving your opinion. Different judges see things differently, just like us. One judge might think that bullet four is very important, another judge, not so much. :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Gkelly raises an interesting point. We are used to saying that Johnny is "artistic' and Evan is not. But was that really the case for that skate on that night?

In my opinion, the "least artistic" (whatever that means :) ) skate of Johnny's career was the performance he won a world bronze medal with.
)

I remember that Johnny won bronze at '08 Worlds with a decent free skate.
I also seem to recall there were a couple of major meltdowns from top skaters and that Evan had to withdrawl due to injury. So just as many claim Evan can only make a podium when the field is opened for him, apparently that is what happened the year Johnny finaly won a world medal.
I feel the chill coming from his fans - but that is how I remember it. Nothing wrong or bad about it - that is just skating. As Button might have said, Johnny made less mistakes than the Japanese skater and the Czech skater and finaly got himself a medal. I respect that medal - and respect medals Evan has won.
If it was so easy we would all have medals.:)

psycho

On the Ice
How dare you?! That was a moving and sensitive portrayal of funambulism on ice! His performance conveyed all the emotions of someone scared out of their mind that they might fall any moment now!;)

Medusa

Record Breaker
How dare you?! That was a moving and sensitive portrayal of funambulism on ice! His performance conveyed all the emotions of someone scared out of their mind that they might fall any moment now!;)
:rofl: :rofl:

I haven't rewatched that performance since then. I was just happy that he got the Bronze and tried to forget anything else.

dancingqueen

On the Ice
People usually remember only FS every event ?:scratch:

I thought Weir’s SP in the worlds 2008 was his best the whole season. It was really exquisite , I watched it many , many times. For his FS, COC was the best that season.

Even though many top skater’s FS was not really good in that worlds, personally , I thought 2008 Worlds was quite enjoyable compared with 2009. Especially I enjoyed Joubert FS 2008 whenever I watch that DVD I recorded. It’s one of my favorite of Joubert’s performances even though unfortunately, he was not perfect.

Kevin van der Perren's costumes are usually over the top, while he's a great jumper. But has Mr. McCorkell changed anything in the image of men's figure skating?

Actually, I think KVDP does bring something unique to the table. He is the anti-Chan. No distracting transitions between jumps. Since he never gets any free PCSs, he has to earn every point.

I like him. :yes:

About costumes, I wonder why it is only the men that go all out. The ladies skate in more or less plane skating skirts, without much extra adorrnment to provide a clue as to what type of music thay might be attempting.

There is, however, a movement under way to let them break out -- and wear pants. :agree:

I think Kevin and Brian believe that bright costumes are proper for Men's competitions. I just do not think so. When they are competing I look only at the tech and presentation. The costume does nothing for me except it may put me off those extra points.

Americans and Canadians are not heavy on costumes, Praise to be!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
About costumes, I wonder why it is only the men that go all out. The ladies skate in more or less plane skating skirts, without much extra adorrnment to provide a clue as to what type of music thay might be attempting.
Not so in the McCorkell/vdP household! For everyone who wisely skipped the Euros ladies event or missed her at Worlds, here's what Jenna wore in the SP (music: Harem) and the LP (music: Cirque du Soleil). Personally, I've seen more subtle outfits on Eurovision :biggrin:.

BTW, that white and gold thing was actually quite tasteful as far as KvdP costumes go. And I don't care what he wears or how slow he skates. I love Kevin. I like how he's skating the way that's right for him and not trying to finesse the system. I really admire him for fighting through at the LP in Euros; I think many skaters would have ended up with a WD in his condition.

Um, Joe, Americans and Canadians are not heavy on costumes? Maybe the sparkly ice princesses aren't. To add to Medusa's post, here are some, let's say, highlights from the past season:
Evan
Johnny
Jeremy
Denney/Barrett
Vaughn Chipeur takes casual a bit too far.
But at least Chan got it right, more or less.

Last edited:
BTW, that white and gold thing was actually quite tasteful as far as KvdP costumes go.

How could I have forgotten this one?

http://www.freewebs.com/kvdp333/Kevin_worlds_SP.jpg

Setting aside Lysacek’s first LP costume last season, what man doesn’t look good in a tux? Never change clothes, Kevin! :agree:

http://www.lifeskate.com/skate/images/2008/06/04/jenna_mccorkell_wedding_photo.jpg

From a 2007 show:

http://www.absoluteskating.com/articles/2007worldcelebration/img_5703copyD.jpg

seniorita

Record Breaker
It is easy to see that without the flamboyance and media saavy Johnny would not be as popular as he is because his skating record is not all that impressive
To play it up with the press, create feuds, put down his teamates, his country, whatever he could do to keep his name in the press.

Wow he s been keeping busy...but johnny's scandals and PR dont reach rest of world at least often and he is more popular than lysacek. The one thing i know beside him skating is his camille glove because the eurosport guys commented on it, his friendship with yuna , plus some torino interviews with his mum?Still I find he is more interesting to watch, no matter he hasnt finished on international podium much..his costumes also;)

I was very happy KVDP won a medal this year, after all these years, he is big in Belgium...His programs are questionable but I like his skating, it looks simple and effortless. His clothes, not so much. :cool: