Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing The Image Of Men's Figure Skating

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Still no one has given an answer to my question. What exactly is the purpose of ornate costumes? It's not traditional. No one back in St. Peterburg wore ornate costumes at the first World Championship. Everything was plain until Sonia Henie and her movies brought on the glitz.
    Like someone earlier said, it could be to highlight the performance aspect of the routine. It could also help compliment the music. For some skaters it's a matter of expressing their individuality with regards to how they felt about their music. No one stopped Becks when he shaved his head for a season.

And... I always thought Takahashi's costumes were more of a Japanese aesthetic. Every time I see his costumes I just think visual-kei

Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Did you really have to?
    But seriously, Daisuke seemed to wear what his Russian coaches/ choreographers wanted him to.
    The video refers to this creation (by TAT, I guess? Remember what she did to Evan?!):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leFAgGvCRxs
    The Romeo and Juliet thingy was a product of Morozov's genius.
    I'm not sure Daisuke himself would have chosen the same outfits, he probably just obeyed.
    Geez, I love most of Dai's costumes! They are amazing. But the sparkly thing - you have seen the costume in "Eye", post-morosov? Granted, it was black, but at the same time velvet and nearly the entire top is sparkling.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NatachaHatawa View Post
    I don't agree. I think anybody else would have looked ridiculous, but Stéphane managed to pull it off. I think it really fit with the music, the choreography etc.
    I'm glad you think so, but I distinctly remember my non-skating fan friends bursting into laughter when they first saw Lambiel wearing that costume at the Olympics. I limited myself to wondering what the zebra stripes had to do with The Four Seasons...

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I'm glad you think so, but I distinctly remember my non-skating fan friends bursting into laughter when they first saw Lambiel wearing that costume at the Olympics. I limited myself to wondering what the zebra stripes had to do with The Four Seasons...
    Wasn't it something like a magical zebra running through the fields. :lol:

And who can forget what Tarasova did with Evan.:chorus:

Custom Title
    There have been 'macho' ballets like Western Symphony, West Side Story, On the Town, and that hasn't resulted in men 25-35 attending the ballet in great numbers.

IMO, the push to "masculinize" figure skating is just veiled homophobia.

There is only one answer: The two segment parts of Figure Skating should be divided in 1. Tech only and no music or costumes.
    Wow...naked men doing jumps, steps and spins

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Not sure I understand who they're trying to target here.

Take me, for instance. I'll never watch men's skating because it's just not my thing. No matter what TPTB try to do to make it appeal to folks like me, it won't happen. No matter how "macho" or "butch" they make it, I still won't watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    That's what I don't get with this whole campaign: Does Skate Canada want to change their athletes, all the North-American ones or all the ones in the figure skating world?
    I wonder too. Do they want male figure skaters(canadians) to be more aggressive? Do they want hockey fans to become FS fans? (because it is as athletic as hockey) Or do they want Canadian men in general to watch FS?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    I think they need to separate SHOW skating from COMPETITIVE skating.
    I want it all; competion, variation in personality, costumes, music and styles AND show. That's what makes figure skating the best sport of all for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Danale View Post
    Back to the topic, the point is that figure skating should improve its position as a sport. It's not about being a macho - it's about being an athlete. And the difficulty in passing this message lies in the fact that a lot of artistry is involved in this field and it cannot be separated.
    Yes, because this sport is so unique and complex. And very hard for the participants I believe. They have to do difficult athletic things looking easyly done and bringing a good performance at the same time. I love it and give all my cheers to the guys who take part in this demanding sport.

Which costumes you like is a question of taste, culture and the current fashion trend. I often like male figure skaters in spite of (what I think) their ugly costumes. But I stll think the costumes can add something to the sport, like reflecting the music or a caracter. (Should not influence the scoring though). And btw I couldn't care less if my male favorites are very virile, gay, straight, transvestites or living in celebacy.

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    i m not sure about that.. centripetal force can cause some unpleasant views..

am i the only one who liked very much stephan's zebra costume?:o I thought it was colourful and strange in a good way!On the contrary his sp costume of the same season was bad.
    Last edited by seniorita; 05-04-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Custom Title
    ^ Oh, I loved it too!!

Tech only and no music or costumes.
    Are you advocating the Nude Technical program Joe???

Ant

Still no one has given an answer to my question. What exactly is the purpose of ornate costumes? It's not traditional. No one back in St. Peterburg wore ornate costumes at the first World Championship. Everything was plain until Sonia Henie and her movies brought on the glitz.
    I'm not sure about the history of costumes but i expect that up until the point that the competitions were brought inside, the main consideration of the skaters was how best to not freeze when competing. Obviously figures was more of a problem because of the non-cardio aspect of it.

I suspect that the costumes help the skaters from the presentation aspect. At the end of the day the sport has a performance side to it and everythign else that involved performance has costumes. The skaters usually wear costumes that have something to do with the music or with the theme of the program they are presenting. The costumes sometime work and sometimes they really don't. But then I suppose the skaters sometimes really hit their program right, and other times they really don't.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Are you advocating the Nude Technical program Joe???
    I believe recent court rulings make it impossible to show nude anything on TV in the US. So for once, Speedy has made the right call!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I agree. And I remember Stephane once doing a part of this routine as an encore in a exhibition, in a black turtleneck and jeans, and it was so much more convincing, just beautiful.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for sequins and glitter, but Stephanes Zebra costume was just to me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    ...I suspect that the costumes help the skaters from the presentation aspect. At the end of the day the sport has a performance side to it and everythign else that involved performance has costumes. The skaters usually wear costumes that have something to do with the music or with the theme of the program they are presenting. The costumes sometime work and sometimes they really don't. But then I suppose the skaters sometimes really hit their program right, and other times they really don't. Ant

Quote Originally Posted by ballerynna View Post
    Like someone earlier said, it could be to highlight the performance aspect of the routine. It could also help compliment the music. For some skaters it's a matter of expressing their individuality with regards to how they felt about their music. No one stopped Becks when he shaved his head for a season.
    I would agree for those hapless competitors who need something to hide their inept skating, and sparkling costumes may just take the edge off. Too bad they can't sell a skating program on technique.

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast