Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 568

Thread: Changing The Image Of Men's Figure Skating

  1. #76
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,211
    Quote Originally Posted by icedancingnut31 View Post
    I think a lot people who don't know much about figure skating think all male figure skaters are gay. My dad for example watched an interview with Johnny Weir on tv with me and he turned to me and asked if he was gay because he looked like it. Although some male skaters such as Brian Orser, Rohene Ward, Rudy Galindo and all of the men who compete in the Gay Games are gay, people don't realize skaters such as Roman Kostomarov, Scott Hamilton, Evan Lysacek, Alexei Yagudin and Olivier Schoenfelder have girlfriends or wives. I think the public should be informed and told that not all male skaters are gay.
    Does it really matter whether people are gay or not? If it does, this isn't the sport for you!

  2. #77
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by ballerynna View Post
    I disagree, I was required to wear a uniform for ballet (burgundy or black leotard, pink/flesh tights, hair in a Vaganova-style bun) and all I felt was that I was doing barre and centre work even if it was a rehearsal for Nutcracker . To really really get into it, wearing the costume helped.
    George Ballanchine brought a fledging ballet company with black leotards and pink tights for the ladies and black tights for the men in many of his young ballets because there was no money. Needless to say, the public went to see them anyway, and the company became the New York City Ballet, and world renowned.

    You're probably stuck in the 19th century ballet tradition which was financed by Czars and Kings. Ballanchine thought all that glitter got in the way of pure dance.

    I happen to like figure skating without the glitter. Just skating as a Sport. I'm ok with SOA.

  3. #78
    Custom Title Tigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    100 Acre Wood
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    That's actually not true. If you read one of the interviews with Lambiel, you can read that he mentioned that he never thought that colourful tight costumes, gold, silver and other shiny stuff are "not masculine", because as a half-Portuguese he has been used to men clothed like that - the Toreros. Is bull-fighting a sport? Well, it could be considered one. Are the men athletic and powerful? Definitely! Is it considered masculine? Heck, yeah!
    So that's where Stephane's colouring and looks comes from. I've never been able to figure it out before, but had a feeling he had a Latin heritage somewhere in his background.

    That's not the point. The point is that it shouldn't matter if people are gay or straight. And I really wished that some of the skaters who were asked like that Canadian ice-dancer, would have answered: "Of course I was picked on as a child because I am a skater. Just like they picked on the girl with the really bad acne, or on the guy who was like a human calculator or on the girl who used to wear shirts with sheep on them." What's with the whining "I was picked on because people thought I was gay because I am a skater"? Everyone gets picked on as a child / teenager. Why does the sport has to change because the world is so narrow-minded?
    Can we at least call it what it is? It is not "being picked on". It is not "being teased." What I went through, what the guys who skate go through and others that are singled out go through is not a rite of passage of childhood that everyone goes through. It is abuse!! Pure and simple and I truly believe that until it gets called what it truly is, we will never see an end to this in our schools/society.

    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but obviously this subject's a rather sore one w/me thanks to my own experiences.

    As for Skate Canada's campaign....Someone needs to sit Michael Slipchuk down and have a very long talk w/him. This is not the direction he/.SC needs to be taking things in w/us now in the Countdown to Vancouver.

  4. #79
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    thanx for info, now i have homework to do:o

  5. #80
    Rink Rat i love to skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    As for Skate Canada's campaign....Someone needs to sit Michael Slipchuk down and have a very long talk w/him. This is not the direction he/.SC needs to be taking things in w/us now in the Countdown to Vancouver.
    I encourage everyone to go over to FSUniverse and read this topic there. One of the posters emailed Skate Canada and I believe it is Mr. Thompson (the CEO) who responded. He provided very valuable insight and addressed many points - including how much he values the artistic side of the sport. The views that were stated in this ABC report were not stated by Skate Canada and people seem to be jumping to conclusions about what occurred. Now it has morphed into a debate on sexuality and things have been hugely blown out of proportion.

  6. #81
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Is bull-fighting a sport?
    No. It is animal torture.

  7. #82
    L'art pour l'art Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    No. It is animal torture.
    I was totally waiting for someone to say that. I don't want to comment any further on the right of this traditional Spanish/Portuguese sport to exist, every country / culture thinks that their traditions are the most precious ones (like gun-ownership in the US, or, well, bullfighting in Spain). But e.g. in France there are harmless variations of the sport, where the bulls don't get hurt (often there is some kind of rosette that has to be taken from the bull and that's it - the young men get hurt sometimes though). I watched one of those spectacles in Nîmes (in this arena) and it looked like a lot of fun and after the fête is over, the bulls are taken back to the Camargue to continue their relative free life.

  8. #83
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    i have watched something similar to the thing you described (or it is the same, I m not sure) in V. Boucau as a part of a tourist attraction and thought the animals were still tortured, they just dont die...

  9. #84
    Mrs. Roman Kostomarov icedancingnut31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Does it really matter whether people are gay or not? If it does, this isn't the sport for you!
    No it does not. But whenever I tell people I love watching men's skating they always tell me all of the men are gay. It kind of bothers me that some people cannot look deeper in to the sport and all they focus on is a male skater's sexuality

  10. #85
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    gay comments are always there - it becomes boring- when there is some connection to dance and music, like modern dance or ballet or something. It goes the same for every sport that doesnt include kicking and spitting..
    it bothers me the same that my male friends watch skating with me just because the girls wear short dresses.

  11. #86
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    70
    PAIRSSKATER of FSUniverse did clarify things with the response of Mr. Thompson. Elvis has way done too much downgrading and too much insulting to figure skating and the figure skaters. He was bitter while he was still skating and much more bitter now because the current figure skaters have been very versatile and resilient with all the demanded changes/rulings required for competitions showing that figure skating is an art and a sport at the same time and they are amazing.

  12. #87
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    902

    You Are All Missing The Point

    You are all missing the point. The discussion about whether they should make figure skating more "masculine" originated from a discussion in Canada about declining viewership. The media turned it into a lightening rod issue, but that's not where the conversation started. So let's address the real issue-declining viewership. It has nothing to do with the costumes. It has nothing to do with being gay or straight. It has EVERYTHING to do with how skating has evolved. Technically it is more demanding, right? More athletic right? But skating is still losing viewers in Canada, America and many other places. It's about the direction this sport has taken in terms of scoring and program requirements. They have interfered with the beauty and flow of the programs and people have lost interest. A bigger factor is that the general public cannot follow the scoring. DO NOT bother to tell me that it isn't that hard to understand. For the PAYING PUBLIC it is. That's all you need to know. If they can't follow it or participate in it, it's over. Another issue is that there is no female figure skater people are connecting to, including Yu Na Kim. The loss of Michelle Kwan had an enormous impact on the sport. It devastated it. She connected with the public in a way that is unprecedented, and I am including Peggy Fleming and Sonia Henie in that statement. The current Asian skaters don't have the emotional connection to the American public. They are more within themselves, unlike Michelle who was out there in full force with her incredibly appealing personality. Ditto Elvis. A strong personality who carried skating in Canada on his back for many years. So unless we straighten the sport out from top to bottom and find another Michelle Kwan, this sport is on a downward spiral, outside of Korea and Japan.

  13. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    452
    kyla2 -- couldn't have said it better myself. You saved me a lot of typing.

    Skating is dying in North America because they destroyed the scoring system and also lost their stars... and they blame sequin costumes. Yeah, we're in trouble.

  14. #89
    Ice Dancing and Johnny Fan MissIzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    765
    But Skate Canada can't do anything about the scoring system, and even if they could, they're probably thinking about how it benefited their skaters. And the accusations of judicial corruption and the actions of the ISU fueling those accusations, it seems, Skate Canada really can't do anything about.
    I think they're in denial that they're kind of helpless right now. This is something they can do, so they're doing it.

  15. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    452
    Except this makes no sense, as kyla clearly explained. CoP has already ramped up the technical elements and diminished the artistic side -- and what is the result? Lost viewership, falling attendance. Talk about doing the wrong thing. And costumes? If they're all in black boring costumes or uniforms, how will that raise attendance? It won't. Hockey and beer monkeys aren't going to watch figure skating. They need to get real, fast.

Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •