Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jon & Kate +8

Jon & Kate +8

Does any one else watch this show? If so what are your thoughts? Are the exploating their children by putting them out there the way they are. I've watched and still do with mix thoughts. Kate is so mean to her husband the way she puts him down, slaps him across the face, screams at him out in public (the toys r us show). The tups are almost or are 5 still wearing bibs sitting in high chairs and still useing sippy cups. You never see them feeding the kids a hot meal, it's always something served on a paper plate. Few crackers, little bit of fruit, yogart and a box of juice.They had to move because there home wasn't big enough (yeah right). You no longer see any of the friends / family what there was on the shows anymore, anymore it seems to be all about Kate. Is it just me or is she just down out hateful. IMO these people are out for the almighty dollar and anything esle they can get for FREE on the backs for their children....Yes some may agree and some not but this is just my thoughts....

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I don't watch the show, but that's because the whole premise sounds exploitative (is that a word???) to me. I have enough train wreck in my own life. I like something a little more new-to-me and interesting than somebody else's train wreck when I watch TV.

However, from observation of other reality shows, they often focus on the 'cast member' who is the most unpleasant because people seem to find a villain more interesting and tune in to see what dreadful thing they are going to do now. Sounds like Kate is this show's Omarosa

http://www.omarosa.com/

I don't think they would have enough money if they didn't. I can see all sides. I agree Kate is a little too cross. BUT I love the show. Watch all I can. Those kids are so adorable. I would rather Kate would be a little less cross but it's what you get.

Custom Title
    I love watching the show and find it fascinating how this family manages to make it work. I don't think anyone has the right to judge Kate and the way she raises her family. How many families are there that have twins and then sextuplets? What's wrong with serving children on paper plates? Maybe not the most environmentally friendly way of serving food, but a heck of a lot easier on Kate. Maybe Kate doesn't always speak to her husband in the kindest ways but I don't think she's the only wife to have ever yelled at her husband. I currently work as a live-in nanny and imo, the Gosselins are more of a family than the family I work for. The Gosselins sit down at the table to eat dinner and spend time together. I wish the family of four I work for would do as much!

Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    I love watching the show and find it fascinating how this family manages to make it work. I don't think anyone has the right to judge Kate and the way she raises her family. How many families are there that have twins and then sextuplets? What's wrong with serving children on paper plates? Maybe not the most environmentally friendly way of serving food, but a heck of a lot easier on Kate. Maybe Kate doesn't always speak to her husband in the kindest ways but I don't think she's the only wife to have ever yelled at her husband. I currently work as a live-in nanny and imo, the Gosselins are more of a family than the family I work for. The Gosselins sit down at the table to eat dinner and spend time together. I wish the family of four I work for would do as much!
    Well being hugely judgmental about all reality TV I think any parent who's happy to prostitute their family for the $$s and fame brings the judgment down on themselves. And if they're even happier that they get greater fame and $$s for being nasty and horrible then that's pretty much all i need to know.

Ant

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Well being hugely judgmental about all reality TV I think any parent who's happy to prostitute their family for the $$s and fame brings the judgment down on themselves. And if they're even happier that they get greater fame and $$s for being nasty and horrible then that's pretty much all i need to know.

Ant
    In my opinion, she's not any more horrible than any other housewife I've met and seen in action. I think people choose to make her out to be a villain to make themselves feel better.

Custom Title
    In my opinion, she's not any more horrible than any other housewife I've met and seen in action. I think people choose to make her out to be a villain to make themselves feel better.
    I don't know about that. Granted, Kate is under a good deal of stress, and it is very hard to empathize or understand her feelings, but at the same time, so is Jon, and he comes across as a genuinely good, caring person. I mean, what if the roles were reversed. If Jon went around verbally and physically degrading his wife like Kate does to him on the show, there would be outrage. I used to love the show but lately, it's just difficult for me to watch because Kate is just so downright mean all the time.
    I mean, I read this and was originally somewhat shocked, but then I realized it just kinda validates Kate's behavior on the show.
    I think the Gosselins do a great job in their situation. It's just that some of Kate's cringe-worthy antics have made me much less of a fan of the show.
    Last edited by dannyascii; 04-21-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyascii View Post
    I don't know about that. Granted, Kate is under a good deal of stress, and it is very hard to empathize or understand her feelings, but at the same time, so is Jon, and he comes across as a genuinely good, caring person. I mean, what if the roles were reversed. If Jon went around verbally and physically degrading his wife like Kate does to him on the show, there would be outrage. I used to love the show but lately, it's just difficult for me to watch because Kate is just so downright mean all the time.
    I mean, I read this and was originally somewhat shocked, but then I realized it just kinda validates Kate's behavior on the show.
    I think the Gosselins do a great job in their situation. It's just that some of Kate's cringe-worthy antics have made me much less of a fan of the show.
    I have a lot of experience working with all sorts of different families as I have worked as a live-in nanny around the world for a couple of years. All I can say is Kate is really not much different from the housewives I have worked for, except that she is not nearly as bad as some! The way some of these women talked about their husbands to their own children was downright shocking. I'm not trying to excuse Kate's behaviour. Honestly though, she's a lot better than a lot of women, especially given her circumstances!

There are a lot of positives going on in that house as well. I wish people wouldn't focus on the negatives.

Banned
    The way some of these women talked about their husbands to their own children was downright shocking.
    And that is exactly why I would never marry an American woman. They have been raised in a society that has taught them it's normal to abuse men. It's on the media 24/7. I really have no hope for the future of this country.

As for TLC, I'm sad about how far downhill it has gone as well. Used to be great wholesome shows like Trading Spaces and While You Were Out, really good personalities and fun to watch. Then WYWO died, TS died, then it came back but it wasn't the same. In fact, one episode (the last one I ever watched) I heard Paige Davis saying some really anti-male stuff and I was like Paige?? Not you too! Also, pretty much every time I flip past TLC now it's just "little people" or someone with 200 pound tumors on their head, or flesh eating disease. Blech.
    Last edited by Particle Man; 04-21-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
    And that is exactly why I would never touch an American woman. They have been raised in a society that has taught them it's normal to abuse men. It's on the media 24/7. I really have no hope for the future of this country.
    I have never nannied in the States and I don't intend to ever start!

ETA: I miss the old TS!
    Last edited by skatingbc; 04-21-2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

Well thanks for your comments. I also use to love the show and yes I still do watch. Ans yes theirs nothing wrong with using paper plates I have used them also but not daily. As for Aunt Jodi why shes no longer on the show TLC wanted to pay her and Kate said NO, there for Aunt Jodi is no gone never to be seen again along with rest of the family / friends. Also it's not my life and shouldn't care but was just mostly wanting opions on what others thought.

Banned
    I have never nannied in the States and I don't intend to ever start!
    I really doubt Canadian women are less man-hating, but Sarah McLachlan seems nice enough so...

We have been watching that for a while and recently stopped. It was a nice thing to see when we had one REALLY GOOD baby and they had 8 regardless of behavior. Kate reminded me far far far too much of myself.

It left me with different kind of job, different type of life.

The show wore its welcome in this household. It was nice at first and now we have moved on.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
    I really doubt Canadian women are less man-hating, but Sarah McLachlan seems nice enough so...
    Again, never been a nanny in my home country. I have been a nanny all over Europe though. I don't think the "man-hating" is confined to one country. And honestly, some of these women have good reason to hate their husbands!

Banned
    Again, never been a nanny in my home country. I have been a nanny all over Europe though. I don't think the "man-hating" is confined to one country. And honestly, some of these women have good reason to hate their husbands!
    Maybe, but why stay in a relationship with someone you hate and constantly complain about, why have kids with them and especially why have EIGHT kids with them? Man.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast