Anybody watch the Kentucky Derby? | Golden Skate

Anybody watch the Kentucky Derby?

Johar

Medalist
Wow, no threads on the big race. Anyhow, my picks were

Friesan Fire (good on the slop)
Pioneerof The Nile
Dunkirk (he stumbled badly after the start)

Friesan Fire grabbed a quarter during the race, which explains why he performed so badly. I was shocked that Mine That Bird, a 50-1 longshot, won! He was flying at the endd, and he was not just passing tiring horses. Good for him and Calvin Borel, his jockey!

I was sad to see top contenders like The Pamplemousse, Old Fashioned, Quality Road, Midshipman, I Want Revenge get sidelined before the Derby.

Mine That Bird was last in last year's Breeders' Cup Juvenile. Who would've guessed back then he would win the Derby by daylight? Not me.

PETA was outside the track protesting. I am sure they are disappointed no horses fatally brokedown in the Derby so they could say "we told you so" and bring more attention to their wacko organization.

Equibase chart order of finish:
http://equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/CD050209USA11.pdf

Johar

Medalist
Area man hits $205,000 Trifecta 3 years after $56,000 Derby win

http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/1558168,CST-NWS-roep05.article
May 5, 2009
BY RICHARD ROEPER Sun-Times Columnist

Three years ago, a Chicago area paramedic named Dan had the right three horses
in a $10 Trifecta box in the Kentucky Derby.

It was good for $56,000, says Dan.
Last Saturday, Dan (I'm withholding his last name because he wants to keep a low profile)
and a couple of his buddies went to a suburban OTB to watch the Derby.

Dan selected a $10 Trifecta box with Musket Man, Mine That Bird and Pioneer of the Nile,
meaning he needed all three to finish in the money, but not in any particular order.

Boom! He did it again. This time, says Dan, his take was $205,000 --
minus the $60,000 Uncle Sam took off the top.

On Monday, Dan was back on the job.
"I'm going to go somewhere nice," he said, "but I'm not going to do anything stupid [with the money.]"

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We were out Saturday afternoon, so we taped it and played it back on Sunday. What an exciting race! I loved the emotion/reaction of the jockey! :clap: :)

Johar

Medalist
Glad you liked it, iluvtodd! I can't believe some of the horse people saying it's the worst Derby ever, because a longshot won. Um, so was he not supposed to run and let others pass him? *rolls eyes.*

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't believe some of the horse people saying it's the worst Derby ever, because a longshot won. Um, so was he not supposed to run and let others pass him? *rolls eyes.*

That's pathetic on the part of those people, if you ask me. It kind of reminds me about what happens in figure skating. "The ice is slippery. Anything can happen."

bronxgirl

Medalist
nice little horse, great ride/racing luck. Now that Rachel Alexandra has been sold to the owner of Curlin, we should be able to see the best 3 year old in the country truly show whats she can do