Sasha. Comeback. Believe it. | Golden Skate

Sasha. Comeback. Believe it.

i love to skate

Medalist
I wish her the best of luck but I think she is going to have quite a shock when she sees what she may be up against. Only devoting eight months of training after three years off from serious competition doesn't seem like enough to get ready for the Olympics.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
I am so shallow, I will enjoy it, if only to see her beautiful face, her tasteful fantastic costumes, those incredible spiral positions and the occasional small, but pretty and perfect jump, incredible extension and flawless posture (and simply ignore the music choices, that are even less original than Lysacek's, the inconsistency, the technically weak spins, and the rather average skating skills and speed).

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Good coaching choice.Rafael will help her with her jumps. I wish Sasha the best and look forward to seeing her at SA.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Wow! Big dicision. That will definitely boost US figure skating.:biggrin: I will watch both the men and the ladies next season.:laugh: Best of luck to Sasha Cohen!

jjane45

On the Ice
I am so shallow, I will enjoy it, if only to see her beautiful face, her tasteful fantastic costumes, those incredible spiral positions and the occasional small, but pretty and perfect jump, incredible extension and flawless posture (and simply ignore the music choices, that are even less original than Lysacek's, the inconsistency, the technically weak spins, and the rather average skating skills and speed).

I really enjoyed Sasha, too for very similar reasons :love:

Ya-a-a-ay!

Now the next question is whether the USFSA will take her up on her offer and invite her to Skate America.

And whether they will have a plan B in mind, just in case -- heaven forfend! -- Sasha is forced to withdraw just before the event due to illness or injury.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I'm fairly certain USFSA will invite Sasha to SA. It doesn't matter if they are ticked at her for her absence or would rather have some other girl in the 3rd spot (not sure who really...take your pick) but the fact is, Sasha will get more butts in the seats and they know it. I hope I'm right since I now plan to go to SA!

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I rarely post any more BUT I AM SOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe!!!!!

Go Sasha!!!!

:rock::agree::):biggrin::thumbsup:;):cool::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::yes:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Finally!:rock:
Are we pretty certain she will use moonlight sonata for short? If she's debuting in november, she would have 4-5 months to get a long program. Not bad at all.

She looks like she is aging in that picture, but aren't we all? I think Hamilton will be looking for an Oly gold medalist for the SOA.

Rafael will have a good time again with Sasha. I hope she listens to him. He's good, and she does not have any physical problems that we know of.

The important question now is (a little prediction question). Which skaters can she win over to get to the Olys? She needs a minimum of 2nd place without causing a ruckus.

Caroline Zhang
Rachael Flat
Ashley Wagner
Mirai Nagasu
Kimmie Meisner
Alissa Czisny

She must win over 5 of the above. Who?

If she wins over all of them, then she deserves to go. It's CoP and those triples are important. It will be amusing to compare the flexibility of Caroline and Sasha.

A dialogue

SC: Hey, Michelle, you’re not actually serious about Vancouver, are you?

MK: Nah. You?

SC: Yeah, right :rofl:

MK: OK, so here’s the plan. You announce that you are going to do Skate America. Then the week before you sprain your ankle practicing your quad Sal. We’ve got USFS by the short hairs. After spending a fortune promoting SASHA AT STATE AMERICA!!!!!!!!, now they have to give everybody their money back.

SC: I get it, so then – for the right price -- MICHELLE KWAN!!!!!!!!! jumps in and saves the event.

MK: It’s foolproof. I’ll do a couple of spirals and a double Axel – make that a double toe – and graciously accept the bronze medal behind Yu-na and Rachael. No one will blame me, because, after all, I only had four days to get ready.

SC: Sounds good to me. When you go to Vancouver as a commentator for NBC, say hi to ZHENYA!!!!!!!!!! for me.

(Just kidding, everyone. :p )

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I love Sasha to death, and I believed in her comeback the entire time. Her announcement doesn't surprise or shock me at all, though it does many others. However... I'm really not thinking too hard about the Olympics, and I wouldn't want to get my hopes up over it. With only 2 spots I would be a little surprised if she made the cut, honestly. She has more raw ability and experience than anyone else we have, but there are so many uncertainties like her physical condition, mental state, unfamiliarity with newer versions of CoP rules / edge & rotation deductions, brand new programs and who knows what else.

Anyway, I'm just thrilled she's coming back to compete. It's long overdue. Barring injury, at the very least we should be able to see her at Skate America and Nationals. I am DYING to see her new programs and how she will deal with being one of the "old horses" among the younger girls. That theoretical trip all the way across the country to Nationals is still so very tempting...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ok, PM...happy now?! :rofl:

I must say I was a little surprised when I first saw this article over at SF. I figured someone broke the news elsewhere as well. I was all but convinced she would hang 'em up. I'm not sure what more she could get out of competing, and I think this generation of skaters has more or less passed her by, but I guess we'll see. Still, an announcement is only an announcement. I'll believe it when I see her out there, on the ice, in costume, at a competition.

The key for her is to a) stay healthy and b) get back to 2006 form. If she can do that, she'll be competitive for the OLY team.

Questions: Will she do the GP (besides SA)? If she has to pull out of Nats (for whatever reason), will she petition for a spot? Will she continue into the 2014 cycle?

Of course, this means that 2010 Nats, assuming she's healthy enough to show up, just got a whooooole lot more interesting. NBC, I'm sure right now, just breathed a huge sigh of relief.

I'm fairly certain USFSA will invite Sasha to SA

I don't see why they wouldn't. I mean, although she's no Kwan in this respect, her presence will sell more tickets, I'm pretty sure of that.

Last edited: