Sasha. Comeback. Believe it. | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sasha. Comeback. Believe it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Personally I think three and a half years absence from the sport (for Sasha) is too long and the likelihood of injury when she resumes full training will be too high. She's having time off to shake tondonitis according to that article so i just wonder how much her body will hold up. We have no reports on the jumps she's landing in practice or anything like that. She won't work with her new coach until June, who's to say that the match is right. There are too many unknowns still at this point.

Ant

Bingo. ITA. It's very early, and to top things off, she is even more prone to injuries than your average skater. Add the fact that she's been gone for three years and things don't look too good for Cohen fans. I only hope that they are prepared for a withdrawal and the ensuing disappointment if things don't work out. Some may be quick to crow "I told you so" after this announcement but it remains to be seen whether she will actually show up.

Last edited:

ballerynna

Rinkside
Good for her and I hope she does well.

It could just be one of those "I'm competing again just to get everyone excited, but whoops, random injury, sorry not going after all but at least people are interested" kind of things. But that's just my sceptic side talking

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I´m happy to read about Sasha´s comeback!!! I´m not though as happy about her coaching choice. I have missed Sasha´s elegant skating so much....
I've missed her skating too. Jaana, why aren't you happy about Raphael??? Isn't he supposed to be a good jumping coach....he was for Sasha Abt and Michelle. Just curious about your disappointment.

What does Sasha's comeback have anything to do with her fans??? It would be nice if we could have adult comments in this thread for once instead of a star struck ---I'm in love with you and I'll throw everyone off by posting nasty comments. It just gets so tiring after years of it...I thought maybe some would be maturing by now.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
Good for you, Sasha! :clap: You only have a competitor's body for so long, so make use of it while you can! And that, she is.

fairly4

Medalist
First of all where is the brouhaha about her returning. Like should she.
Everyone even the media stated Michelle shouldn't, however lets Sasha comeback with open arms.
Why shouldn't she, they cheated for her then-they will continue now.
Yes lets welcome her back, we held the younger skaters scores down,
we cheated for Sasha in the earlier years by overlooking her mistakes--Heck even this years mistakes favor Sasha (how by overlooking her mistakes with the judges--in other words they don't see it, they don't have to mark it off onGoe's
even though the Technical caller downgraded the jump -or called wrong edge.
Also when she let in 2007 regarding nationals the USFSA stated back then, they would love to have Sasha on the Olympic team, Michelle no--she should have retired in 1998,
Also gave her a phone in 2006--just to keep press away, Michelle press head on.
Also Frank stated systems wasn't for her-the USfsa, judges, older skaters stated for Sasha at the 2006 Nationals --gave Sasha a 199 score-why to keep her above Michelle with mistakes.
Also according to rules I read some where on Isu -they shouldn't skate to SHOW Programs, however-sasha is skating to one-.
Lets break the rules for Sasha-make michelle follow them.
Let prove the people wrong about her, notice USFSA make a announcement about her returning, Michelle not so-lets crucify Michelle with 3 spots.
ONly two--want to be the USFSA planned it this way--she we need Sasha more than Michelle-the younger skaters aren't up there. We want the medal and we well cheat for Sasha to get it not Michelle. See the younger skaters scores aren't up there -we kept them down so now we need Sasha.

WIll i help no, will i complain, yes why --Michelle couldn't comeback with 3 spots after injury--Michelle was too old (discrimation)--taking a spot away froma skater, Sasha can be only 24 --will put her on the team with only 2 spots and no she isn't taking a spot away, why the younger skaters scores aren't close andn not up there. Sasha is needed , i could go further, but not saying it. Younger skaters cant do it-we will take spot away from younger skaters.

kandidy

Final Flight
Everyone even the media stated Michelle shouldn't, however lets Sasha comeback with open arms.
we cheated for Sasha in the earlier years by overlooking her mistakes--Heck even this years mistakes favor Sasha (how by overlooking her mistakes with the judges--in other words they don't see it, they don't have to mark it off onGoe's
Also when she let in 2007 regarding nationals the USFSA stated back then, they would love to have Sasha on the Olympic team, Michelle no--she should have retired in 1998,
Also Frank stated systems wasn't for her-the USfsa, judges, older skaters stated for Sasha at the 2006 Nationals --gave Sasha a 199 score-why to keep her above Michelle with mistakes.
Also according to rules I read some where on Isu -they shouldn't skate to SHOW Programs, however-sasha is skating to one-.
Let prove the people wrong about her, notice USFSA make a announcement about her returning, Michelle not so-lets crucify Michelle with 3 spots.
ONly two--want to be the USFSA planned it this way--she we need Sasha more than Michelle-the younger skaters aren't up there. We want the medal and we well cheat for Sasha to get it not Michelle. See the younger skaters scores aren't up there -we kept them down so now we need Sasha.

WIll i help no, will i complain, yes why --Michelle couldn't comeback with 3 spots after injury--Michelle was too old (discrimation)--taking a spot away froma skater, Sasha can be only 24 --will put her on the team with only 2 spots and no she isn't taking a spot away, why the younger skaters scores aren't close andn not up there. Sasha is needed , i could go further, but not saying it. Younger skaters cant do it-we will take spot away from younger skaters.

I don't think media tried to do that to Michelle. Michelle was injured and everybody saw to that she was not in the state to Oly.
I don't see the point why you have to comment such sarcastic comment. Wouldn't it be nice to boost US figure skating and let us see the live broadcasting rather than watching from s_ucking internet live feed?

fairly4

Medalist
In your comment to Boost US Figure skating,
Instead of having Sasha come back & Michelle for that matter.
The US figure skating should have boosted the younger skaters and their scores
and made sure they got their full allotment for the Senior division at the olympics instead of worring about their allotment for the US JGP divison.

It just goes to show that (you)and or/they care more about Sasha- coming back than they do building up the talented younger skaters.

nubka

Final Flight

Wah, wah, wah... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Are you for real? :scratch:

elanna

Rinkside
I think that Cohen can do it! Why not? Her footwork and spins were just great-a little work on them and a slight touch of renewal, and they are fine again-, all her movements were-and are-so smooth and polished! I do not think that the three-year break in serious training is too much for her, in the sense of returning to competitive activity: yes, she`s never been a jumping bean, but she is extremely talented, and I believe that her new coach, Aruthunjan, is, at the least, not worse than, let`s say, Mishin! The more beautiful skaters take part in competitions the better for the sport! :rock:

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that Cohen can do it! Why not?

Sasha has an egregious flutz, and there is NO WAY that she will relearn the lutz in 8 months' time. Arutunian was unable to correct Mao's flutz, and he isn't going to have better luck with Sasha's.

Her footwork and spins were just great-a little work on them and a slight touch of renewal, and they are fine again-all her movements were-and are-so smooth and polish!

Her footwork and spins were very good, but the requirements for getting higher levels are much more complex in today's CoP than they were back in 2006. And there is one less spin in the FS today, which hurts the good spinners.

I do not think that the three-year break in serious training is too much for her, in the sense of returning to competitive activity: yes, she`s never been a jumping bean, but she is extremely talented, and I believe that her new coach, Aruthunjan, is, at the least, not worse than, let`s say, Mishin!

That's not what John Nicks, Sasha's long-time coach, said. He told Sasha that taking one year off would make it hard to come back, and two years would be very, very difficult. Three and a half years on that scale = next to impossible. Given Sasha's propensity to injury under a tough training regimen, it is more likely that she will injure herself than that she will recover her jumping skills enough to be competitive.

Sasha isn't landing 3T and 3S cleanly in her exhibition programs at SOI. That doesn't bode well for her recovering 3L and 3F, and her 3Z will get her at least -2.0 GOE. And she hasn't done a 4-minute FS with 6 or 7 triples in way over 3 years.

For you mathematically minded COP experts out there, exactly how much will the flutz hurt Sasha?

It seems to me I've heard people say recently that Mao can avoid her problems with the (f)lutz by simply leaving it out.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I am going to play devil's advocate here...

Maybe spending time away from competition will be good for Sasha. Perhaps she will come back with more drive and determination. Who knows. But I am happy. I love seeing things mixed up and people all freaking out over her coming back. Kind of makes me laugh!! Even though there are great younger skaters out there, I have to say that the state of ladies figure skating in the US is kind of crappy right now. Maybe this is just what is needed right now

But remember, It's only May 2009 and the Olympics are in February 2010. That's a long time from now and anything can happen.

As for Sasha and Rapheal....whatever coach she picks I hope that it suits her and I wish her look.

elanna

Rinkside
Of course, things`re not going to be easy for her! But I think she is absolutely right that she wants to try. Just to think, P.Chan`s not a very good jumper too, but he, skating beautifully, has a great success! :)

tarotx

On the Ice
Sasha worked with Rafael Arutunian Last summer.

"I've worked with him in the past and also last summer," she said. "I've already made a lot of progress. We've really clicked."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090507&content_id=64564&vkey=ice_news

I think it's Sasha's flutz in the short that will be an issue for her. I don't think Rafael really worked on Mao's flutz to know if he does or doesn't have the ability fix the jump. He said it wasn't worth fixing in the middle of the season. I think if Sasha can skate with the power she showed at the beginning of this season all her jumps should be better.

feraina

Record Breaker
Of course, things`re not going to be easy for her! But I think she is absolutely right that she wants to try. Just to think, P.Chan`s not a very good jumper too, but he, skating beautifully, has a great success! :)

But Patrick has skating skills that Sasha can only dream of. Patrick is truly phenomenal in that regard, and the judges really reward him for that.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Isn't there ANY inside sources??? I'd love to be a bug on the wall and see what Sasha has worked on with RA, if they worked on changing the flutz, or any 3/3s. I think her biggest challenge is to stay healthy, and if she can, she certainly is a real podium contender. Realistically, I can see her claiming the Bronze. (Although I'd prefer a podium of Yu-Na, Mao and Joannie...IF Michelle doesn't compete!)

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Well I am thrilled for Sasha's return:rock::clap: I look forward to some new & beautiful programs from her:love:

I say if someone wants to return LET THEM. The more high level skaters the more exciting the competition. I cant wait to see Nationals at this point. :yes: Although I am sad there arent 3 spots for the Olympics, maybe this will light a fire under the younger girls butts and have them bring it 110%. I for one will be thrilled with the thought of that. :agree:

Now Im just waiting for one more announcement...please, please, please :bow: ;)

At this point Im rooting for 5 girls for the 2 spots. Maybe/hopefully I will get to root for 6?;) :bow:

At any rate I wish her the best of luck:love: :yes:

elanna

Rinkside
But Patrick has skating skills that Sasha can only dream of. Patrick is truly phenomenal in that regard, and the judges really reward him for that.

Oh, she can dream of them! Do you remember her Swan (Tarasova`s version), Malaguena, Rakhmaninoff?;)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
this just made my day! I am so happy for her! I guess this means that training is going well. I am very surprised that she did not return to Mr. Nicks, but maybe he just did not want to coach anymore. Very interesting coaching choice....I hope it works out for her.
:D :D :D