Sasha. Comeback. Believe it. | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sasha. Comeback. Believe it.

There's no way on earth we're going to have Caroline and Rachael both at Skate America.

Unless the USFSA has decided the Final doesn't matter.

I would really like to know the answer to that question. From the perspective of the USFSA, does the GP final matter or not?

I am guessing here, but I believe that they think it doesn't matter compared to the Olympics. From everything I have read, I think the main objective of the USFSA this season is to make sure the Olympic Games are a rousing success on U.S. television.

In fact, although they won't admit it, I think there is a certain amount of desperation about the situation -- like, if this doesn't work, NBC will drop out altogether and that will be the end of figure skating on network TV period.

Already they strong-armed the ISU into rescheduling Skate America ito give NBC a better build-up for U.S. Nationals and the Olympics.

The Grand Prix final brings nothing into the USFSA's coffers. The Olympics -- they hope -- will.

Last edited:
Anything NBC does will be in the interest of NBC - not the fans - not the sport, not even the ISU. They want SA to be the first of bringing home the gold followed by the easier Nats, and then on to the Olys with lots of hype to get those rating up high.

i love to skate

Medalist
For you mathematically minded COP experts out there, exactly how much will the flutz hurt Sasha?

It seems to me I've heard people say recently that Mao can avoid her problems with the (f)lutz by simply leaving it out.

Yes but Mao also has two triple axels and a triple triple (if it is ratified) to make up for a lack of a triple lutz. Sasha doesn't have any of that so she will most likely have to include it and suffer the penalty.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Great programs yes, but that doesn't have anything to do with her basic skating skills. Patrick is miles ahead of her in that regard.
Does Patrick now skate with the ladies (not too far-fetched considering the 3A-trouble)? Or why are we comparing Sasha and Patrick?

i love to skate

Medalist
Does Patrick now skate with the ladies (not too far-fetched considering the 3A-trouble)? Or why are we comparing Sasha and Patrick?

Ahh yes another nice little dig into Patrick :rolleye: A previous poster compared the skating skills of Patrick and Sasha so that's why we are talking about it.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
First of all where is the brouhaha about her returning. Like should she.
Everyone even the media stated Michelle shouldn't, however lets Sasha comeback with open arms.

Michelle is more than 4 years (one full Olympic cycle) older than Sasha. And I don't see any Sasha fans saying Michelle can't come back. She can do what she wants, if she thinks she is up for it. There goes your argument...

Yes but Mao also has two triple axels and a triple triple (if it is ratified) to make up for a lack of a triple lutz. Sasha doesn't have any of that so she will most likely have to include it and suffer the penalty.

Yes, Sasha's jump layout in 2006 was 3Lz, 3F, 3Lo, 3F+2T, 3T+3S seq, 2A, 3S. So already she preferred to do two Salchows and only one Lutz. Not much wiggle room there.

In the SP she could substitue 3F+2T and 3 Lo for 3Lz+2T and 3F. If she got a -2 GOE deduction on the Lutz, this switch would gain her one point, and possibly a little more if she could get some positive GOEs on the combo.

Still, with only 3F+2T, 3Lo and 2A in the short, she risks being so far beihind anyone who does a triple-triple, or Mao with a triple Axel, that Sasha could be out of the running before the LP even begins.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Still, with only 3F+2T, 3Lo and 2A in the short, she risks being so far beihind anyone who does a triple-triple, or Mao with a triple Axel, that Sasha could be out of the running before the LP even begins.
Well, the good news is: how often have we seen perfect SPs with 3-3 / 3A this or last season? Not too often! And Rochette's jump layout never includes a 3-3, the only difference would be the 1 point difference between 3 Rittberger and 3 Lutz. PCS should take care of that difference.

dannyascii

On the Ice
AH!!! Exciting! I'll admit, I've never been a huge Sasha fan, but I love a good comeback story.
And as far as everyone's speculations on how successful she will be, I definitely think she has a good chance of success, at least on a national level. With the state of American ladies figure skating, why not? While there are a number of rather talented skaters in the US now, most elite ladies are either very inconsistent or unexperienced. Granted, Sasha's not super reliable on her jumps, but her spins and spirals should keep her TES afloat and I think she'll get PCS points just for being Sasha.
Internationally, who knows. Rochette has been able to have success and her jumping ability is nowhere near Kim or Asada's. Like people said before, as long as she stays healthy and focused, she certainly could shake things up. :rock:

Well, the good news is: how often have we seen perfect SPs with 3-3 / 3A this or last season?

Elena Glebova, 3T+3T, 2009 Worlds SP. :rock:

Anything NBC does will be in the interest of NBC - not the fans - not the sport, not even the ISU. They want SA to be the first of bringing home the gold followed by the easier Nats, and then on to the Olys with lots of hype to get those rating up high.

What I am wondering about is this. Is the agenda of the USFSA the same as NBC's this year? Does the USFSA also want lots of hype to get television ratings up?

At first I thought that bringing Alissa, Rachael and Caroline together at Skate America would be a step in that direction, never mind the GP finals.

Now if Sasha is really in the mix, USFS can have their cake and eat it, too. Alissa, Sasha and Rachael for Skate America, send Caroline off to conquer the world in China and France. :yes:

Last edited:

MasterB

Final Flight
What if Kwan returns? WIll the USFSA also extend and invitation to her? God, I hope so. I can;t wait till she makes her announcement.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
What if Kwan returns? WIll the USFSA also extend and invitation to her? God, I hope so. I can;t wait till she makes her announcement.
I can only imagine what Caroline, Mirai, Ashley, Racheal, Alissa and Kimmie are say right now. I am sure they are not words that could be printed here.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I can only imagine what Caroline, Mirai, Ashley, Racheal, Alissa and Kimmie are say right now. I am sure they are not words that could be printed here.

Well, I just hope they aren't making any calls to any of Tonya Harding's boyfriends. :rofl:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Rochette has been able to have success and her jumping ability is nowhere near Kim or Asada's. Like people said before, as long as she stays healthy and focused, she certainly could shake things up. :rock:

Thing about Joannie is although she is no Mao/Yu-Na, she has rock solid technique. She rarely URs or gets edge calls-and she's even gotten +2 GOEs on jumps before. Granted, she has to be ON to get good marks, but she really uses COP to her advantage. In the SP, she loses out on points by not doing a 3/3 and having a level 2/3 layback. But still, at Worlds, delivering a solid program was "only" 67.90. I think without a 3/3, that's pretty much all one can hope for.

I wonder if Sasha would take the Caroline route and insert a 3loop as a solo jump, that's always been a good jump for her. And do a 3f/2t. I would be shocked if she attempted a 3/3, but then again, I am shocked she's attempting a comeback! In the LP, though, having 7 triples, even with an "e" call on a lutz, is worth the risk.

Granted it's a long season and the ice is slippery! I hope everyone stays healthy and can be at their best at the Games! Then let the ice chips fall as they may!

seniorita

Record Breaker
my fav program of hers is dark eyes,usually i liked her sps more than lps, but romeo and juliet was a great program, though i didnt see it clean. When i saw her live she was more graceful and spectacular than tv :)
so different reaction on the board for her comeback comparing to evgeni's possible return,its amazing... i m not complaining:p, just an observation.

Last edited:

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
I don't think I could be happier right now!!! Go Sasha, I hope she kicks major butt at SA and nationals!!!

Pikachuusb

On the Ice

My boyfriend asked me the same thing. What happens if she says she's coming back as well? I had no answer for him as I didnt know myself. Doesn anyone know how that would work, if it would work at all? They couldnt possibly send Michelle, Sasha & Rachel could they?

If Michelle comes back:)bow: please, please, please) she will have to go thru Regionals & Sectionals correct? Im sure they could send her to a Senior B event to conflict, correct?

Im sure the other girls: Ashley, Mirai, Bebe, Rachel, Kimmie, Caroline & Alissa are not as thrilled about this return as some of us are :p :laugh: My boyfriend asked, "oh nooo when are Nationals? Cause I need to make sure to ask for it off since Im sure you want to go now." LOL He knows me soo well.;):yes:
Little does he know that I want to go to Skate America too. LOL:laugh:

Does anyone know what the exact schedule for Nationals is? or where I could find it? Im struggling to find it on the web.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I really don't know what to think. I was, and and still am to some degree, operating here under the assumption that Cohen won't be showing up. I'm still skeptical that she can stay uninjured for the next 8 months. Heck, according to the article she's injured right now! and she's not even begun yet.

[nevermind last part]

Last edited: