Yuna, Mao and Sasha | Golden Skate

Yuna, Mao and Sasha

yunaddiction

Rinkside
Sasha's comeback is really a big news.
And there should be a higher possibility that Sasha may have to compete with Yuna or Mao during the GP Series.
And even Yuna and Mao together have the same chance.

What is your favorite picture, guys ?
I personally hope SA invite Yuna again making a battle of Sasha and Yuna in an American rink.
It should be a big match!

And who should be a better choice for Mao during the series?
Yuna , Sasha or Joannie ?

The next season will be really HOT :clap:

oxade21

Match Penalty
Ohh dear there will be NO battle between those three. More like the other two skating circles around Sasha.

gocaroline

On the Ice
Sasha may have a chance to medal at US National, not likely at GP or Olympic or Worlds if Yuna, Mao, Miki, Joanne are present.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Sasha may have a chance to medal at US National, not likely at GP or Olympic or Worlds if Yuna, Mao, Miki, Joanne are present.
Sasha can beat Joannie, who's not exactly perfect; Caro did it at the GPF, even with a so-so performance. I seriously doubt she can beat Mao; it would be more like Mao beating herself. There is no way Sasha can beat Yu-Na. The only way she doesn't finish behind her is if Yu-Na has to WD.

Caroline Zhang should have been included. She does everything Sasha does and more. Caroline will win her over in the Tech, definitely. The PC scores are, for me, quite subjective, but Caroline can hold her own.

Caroline Zhang should have been included. She does everything Sasha does and more. Caroline will win her over in the Tech, definitely. The PC scores are, for me, quite subjective, but Caroline can hold her own.
Caroline is a lot like Sasha, it's true, but I don't recall any programs where she turned on the fireworks the way Sasha did in her Malaguena, Dark Eyes and Rachmaninov programs. You yourself have called Sasha a bravura skater. Caroline is not (yet). Wish she were - she's wonderful and exquisite, but a little monotonous.

kittyjake5

On the Ice

.....and don't forget Rachael. Sasha will have stiff competition from both of these U.S. ladies in the tech department. But that is sport, we will have to wait and see how things play out and what Sasha can bring to the game. It will be very interesting indeed.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Caroline is a lot like Sasha, it's true, but I don't recall any programs where she turned on the fireworks the way Sasha did in her Malaguena, Dark Eyes and Rachmaninov programs. You yourself have called Sasha a bravura skater. Caroline is not (yet). Wish she were - she's wonderful and exquisite, but a little monotonous.

I think what we gotta keep in mind is Caroline was 15 this year. Sasha was no where near that level in 2000. Caroline is on her way up and I believe she'll be a front runner in the next quad (barring injury.) Caroline has the horrid mulekick, flutz and wobbly flip take off. Sasha has a flutz and iffy edges, but over all her jumps ARE better (namely 2axle.) But Caroline does have a 3flip/3toe, and was credited at the WTT thing, so if she can get that rotated, has a huge edge technically over Sasha. I think they are about even in spins and spirals-I wonder if Caroline actually has a slight edge in spins, namely layback. Sasha definitely has the edge in PCS. If Caroline can improve her speed, she can close that gap, mulekick and all.

I wonder if sasha will stick the her old SP jumps, or think about a 3f/2t, 3lp, 2a layout to stay away from an "e" call.

I wonder where most think Rachel fits in in these discussions-I would enjoy seeing her win 2010 Nationals! :clap: ((That is if no Michelle and if Caroline doesn't win!)

gocaroline

On the Ice
:agree:

Yes, in a way Caroline does remind me of Sasha sometimes, yet Caroline is very consistant. The only thing is Caroline always get low PCS score no matter how high her technical score is. I think judges may give Sasha an edge here.

Buttercup is right with Joanne. We will just have to see how Joanne perform the coming season. But I feel when Joanne is confident she is really brilliant.

gocaroline

On the Ice
I will be happy to see Sasha at National, brings her top game and deliver a solid brilliant 7 triple LP. I wouldn't have any issue with whoever makes the Olympic team as long as the judging is fair and square (Is this wish too-unrealistic?)

I forgot Caroline is only 15 now. And she is already very talented artistically. And her technique, mule-kick or not, is solid and consistant without doubt. She is growing into a graceful senior lady. And I sincerely hope she and Rachel will make the Olympic team:love::love::love:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I am not up to making predictions or analyses at the moment, but I will say that we are very rich in the ladies discipline now. I think we are all very fortunate to have such a fine, high-level competitive field in this segment of the sport. It is almost an embarrassment of riches, because no matter who wins what, some of those who do not win will be of such high calibre, that it will seem a shame not to have more positions than just three on the podium.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
Mao, Yu-Na, and Joannie (and Miki and Carolina and even Laura) will come later. First, Sasha needs to compete against her fellow countrywomen. Rachael, Caroline, and Mirai are still works in progress. I'm not entirely convinced Sasha can do better than all of them.

feraina

Record Breaker
I wonder how Sasha would fare under the current CoP. I think for her, even more dangerous than the flutz are the potential downgrades. Her jumps were never big, and she often eeked out landing. For her OSM performance, her 3Z, 3F (first), 3R, and the 3S (first) were all downgradable. And I think the 3T-3S sequence she did then would not be counted as a sequence now (but rather two separate jumps, costing her a jumping pass). Her spins, while beautiful and elegant, are no longer uniquely spectacular these days, as Caroline, Alissa, Yukari, and Mao all have great stretch, centering, and speed. Similarly with spirals. Years of competing under CoP has made it necessary for young skaters to develop these skills.

On the PCS side, PCS scoring has moved farther away from artistry and more toward speed/power since 2006. Joannie Rochette will probably wallop her in PCS, for example, just as she did Alissa Czisny at WC 09. And needless to say, Yu-na & Mao will, too. It will be interesting to see how Sasha will score internationally, and also at National's. She did have all five triples (including the flutz), though, something that seems rarer and rarer nowadays. For that, she'll definitely be ahead of Alissa Czisny.

For that, she'll definitely be ahead of Alissa Czisny.
Alissa has all the jumps except, for some strange reason, the Salchow. Her Lutz is actually pretty good -- the best of the American ladies.

It's just the part about landing on her feet and not her behind that's the problem.

R.D.

Record Breaker
No comparison. And as far as I'm concerned, there may not even BE a comparison...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Mao easily beat Sasha back in 2005 and would do so again handily. Yu-na would be scored head and shoulders above Sasha. I don't see Sasha as that much of a threat to them, especially yu-na.

but as for the caroline and sasha comparison, in her defense, sasha was much better when she was 15 than caroline at 15. She had great speed and ice coverage compared to caroline, higher, tighter jumps and an understanding of the music and connection to the audience that you can't teach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP_e7bKTAd4

Last edited:

Bill508

Rinkside
Acting career went down in flames.

Guess her buddies in Hollywood didn't think to much of her acting abilities but she is America's great (only?) hope right now for a podium presence. I think Mao and Yu Na will decimate her in competition.