Yuna, Mao and Sasha | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Yuna, Mao and Sasha

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
But i would say that is pretty much only Mao that can have bad falls and still win competitions and that because she attempts the harder 3A and 3A combos and a 3/3. With the point difference that makes (even she falls on one of them) she has a comfortable cushion. Personally i don't think any other skater has that cushion, even Yuna does not fiar well when she pops jumps or falls.

Ant

Also, Mao seems to be one of the very very few skaters who seem to be completely unaffected by hard falls. In both her worlds LPs this year and last year, she had a ghastly fall, got up and continued her program as planned.

janetfan

Match Penalty
So much talk of Sasha needing 7 - triples and not making any mistakes. Is that why Sasha is such an intriguing if not beloved skater?
And FYI, Yuna and Mao are not typically landing 7 triples or even attempting that many. Check Worlds...I think Mao completed 4 triples and Yuna 5.
If Caroline had been at Worlds she would have probably completed more triples than any other lady with the possible exception of Rachael. Completing 7 triples is no guarantee of a win unless the other elements are at a high level.
Sasha should do OK as her spirals, laybacks and spins are better than either Yuna or Mao. And even on a bad day Sasha was always good for 4-5 triples.
The question I wonder about is in the attempt to rack up points will Sasha lose some of the originality she brought to the ice. People rave about Yuna and Mao but they both look over programmed to me and it is obvious neither of them has had much serious dance training. So skating is more than dancing abilty but for me I would rather watch Sasha and Caroline anytime. The sublte refinement they bring is so beautiful to watch.

evangeline

Record Breaker
So much talk of Sasha needing 7 - triples and not making any mistakes. Is that why Sasha is such an intriguing if not beloved skater?
And FYI, Yuna and Mao are not typically landing 7 triples or even attempting that many. Check Worlds...I think Mao completed 4 triples and Yuna 5.

The reason why Yu-Na and Mao are not typically landing 7 triples and are still winning--or at least doing very well--is because (as others have pointed out) they either get very high GOEs for their jumps (Yu-Na) or do very difficult jumps like 3As and 3A combos (Mao). Sasha is a very lovely skater, but her jumps aren't up to par with Yu-Na's or Mao's in either quality or difficulty. This is why she would need to skate 7 triples, or at the very least cleanly to compete with Yu-Na and Mao. As lovely as Sasha's skating is, I doubt she's going to get giant PCS to make up for her TES.

As for whether Yu-Na and Mao look "over-programmed," I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I enjoy reading the comments of janetfan & evangeline, as they were a catalyst for what has been lurking in the back of my mind since viewing the one competition wherein Mao beat Sasha at TEB (which I had never seen before btw, but made sure to search out & watch the other day after having read about this competition a few days ago).

In the SP Mao beat Sasha by 3 points with a 3/3 combo., both having skated cleanly without faults. And in the LP she beat her by 4 points, with both having landed 6 triples apiece (Mao with the extra edge having landed a gorgeous 3A). However, each had a slight fault - Mao a fallout on one of her spins, Sasha a fall on one of her triples. Sasha's PCS kept her up there in the mix, whereas Mao's TES is her ace. Each played to their individual strengths, understandably.

***Note: it has been my viewing experience over the years that judging at GPs has no relation to judging at Worlds & Olympics. It's more of a guideline than a rule, so anything can happen.***

I love watching both of these skaters ~ they have everything I look for in a skater ~ may the best lady win! :)

That said, Sasha is the underdog & will need to enchant the judges with what janetfan referred to ~ her phenomenal artistic ability ~ if she can bring to the plate a once-in-a-lifetime program with what makes her special, she'll hit a homerun!

OT: humility & joy are two qualities that I personally look for in a skate & skater as well ~ Chen Lu's 1998 Olympic LP performance to "Butterfly Lovers" is one of my all-time favorite performances ever. If it had been up to me, I would have given her the gold medal. That performance is one for the ages...

Based on the jump base values at L.A. Worlds, Mao had a 2.4 point cushion against Yuna and a 3.5 point against Rochette in LP.

jump base values at Worlds

1. Yuna
(credit for the second half of the program)
3F+3T: 9.50
2A: 3.50
3lz+2t+2l 8.80
2A+3T 7.50 (8.25)
3Lz 6.00 (6.60)
3S 4.50 (4.95)
2A 3.50 (3.85)
------------------------------
43.3 (45.45)

2. Mao
3A+2T 9.50
3A 8.20
3F+2L+2L 8.50
3L 5.00 (5.50)
3F+2L 7.00 (7.70)
3T 4.00(4.40)
2A 3.50(3.85)
------------------------------
45.7 (47.65)

3. Rochette
3Lz+2t+2l 8.80
3F 5.50
3L 5.00
3Lz 6.00(6.60)
3t+3s(seq) 6.80(7.48)
2A+2A(seq) 5.60(6.16)
3S 4.50 (4.95)
---------------------------------
42.2(44.49)

How is Sasha's jump layout (and base value) exactly going to be?

Of course we don't really know yet what she is going to do. But here is whatt she did in her last season of competition 3 years ago.

3Lz 6.0
3F 5.5
3Lo 5.0
3F+2T 6.8 (7.48)
3T+3S seq 6.8 (7.48)
2A 3.5 (3.85)
3S 4.5 (4.95)

Total 38.1 (40.56)

So 40.56 compared to 45.45, 47.65, and 44.49 for the top three (not counting Ando and Kostner.)

Plus, she will have a jump deficit coming from the short program compared to anyone who does a triple-triole or a triple Axel.

Possibly Sasha can beef up her jumps, but adding a Lutz combination is risky because of the possibity of an edge call.

On GOEs, at the Olympics Sasha did not get any possitive GOES on jumps, and only slightly positive GOEs on spins (0.36, 0.71, and 0.29.) The only place where she made up any ground was on her spiral, +2 GOE.

As for program components, under the new system it is not so much about beautiful poses and passionate musical interpretation any more. I do not think that Sasha will have an advantage over either Asada or Kim in any program component category.

In Sasha's silver medal performance at the Olympics, which most people agree was among her best in terms of the "second mark," she got high 7's across the board, for a total of 62.41.

That is about what Mao got (62.88) for her fourth place finish at Worlds -- and Mao is capable of much higher for a better outing. Yu-na Kim's PCSs were all in the eights for a total of 68!

Last edited:

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
I enjoy reading the comments of janetfan & evangeline, as they were a catalyst for what has been lurking in the back of my mind since viewing the one competition wherein Mao beat Sasha at TEB (which I had never seen before btw, but made sure to search out & watch the other day after having read about this competition a few days ago).

In the SP Mao beat Sasha by 3 points with a 3/3 combo., both having skated cleanly without faults. And in the LP she beat her by 4 points, with both having landed 6 triples apiece (Mao with the extra edge having landed a gorgeous 3A). However, each had a slight fault - Mao a fallout on one of her spins, Sasha a fall on one of her triples. Sasha's PCS kept her up there in the mix, whereas Mao's TES is her ace. Each played to their individual strengths, understandably.

***Note: it has been my viewing experience over the years that judging at GPs has no relation to judging at Worlds & Olympics. It's more of a guideline than a rule, so anything can happen.***

I love watching both of these skaters ~ they have everything I look for in a skater ~ may the best lady win! :)

That said, Sasha is the underdog & will need to enchant the judges with what janetfan referred to ~ her phenomenal artistic ability ~ if she can bring to the plate a once-in-a-lifetime program with what makes her special, she'll hit a homerun!

OT: humility & joy are two qualities that I personally look for in a skate & skater as well ~ Chen Lu's 1998 Olympic LP performance to "Butterfly Lovers" is one of my all-time favorite performances ever. If it had been up to me, I would have given her the gold medal. That performance is one for the ages...

This was in 2005. o.o its been 4 years and mao has definetly improved, where as sasha hasn't had any competitions as of late.

Fans of skaters do not die easily.

Sasha has had her moments on the ice. Her 180 dgree spiral was always a big hit, and her layback spin was among the best. I think both these moves will hold up in 2009 GPs. I am not not sure about her speed and jumps which is why I am willing to wait and see. There are others, if they hit, will dominate with their speed and jumps and excellent choreography as well - not the sugary kind.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Fans of skaters do not die easily.

Sasha has had her moments on the ice. Her 180 dgree spiral was always a big hit, and her layback spin was among the best. I think both these moves will hold up in 2009 GPs. I am not not sure about her speed and jumps which is why I am willing to wait and see. There are others, if they hit, will dominate with their speed and jumps and excellent choreography as well - not the sugary kind.

This really feels like a year when our ladies could have used three spots.
I feel like you - in that I have no idea how Sasha will do. But I also know that realistically our young skaters are not ready for an Olympic podium. Caroline and Rachael have a shot but that would mean injuries or terrible meltdowns from a couple of the top ranked ladies. I always love Alissa's skating but let's face it......Olympic pressure might be hard for her to deal with and even with a clean skate she would not finish higher than 6 or 7 in Vancouver.
Then we have Mirai...who I really like. We dont know how she will be coming off the injury and growth spurt. But she has the potential to come in 1 or 2 at Natls. Right now Mirai feels like the wild card heading into natls. Ashley.....without major improvement I dont think she can win US Nationals let alone look at a top finish in Vancouver.
Kimmie and Emily.......what nice, likeable girls they are. They are longshots to come in 1 or 2 at Natls. but would be lucky to finish in top 10 at Vancouver.
Thus we arrive back at Sasha. I honestly don't know if she can win a medal in Vancouver but think she offers our best chance for a top finish.And even if you are not a fan....she is better known than the rest of our ladies put together. She has charisma and an edge and right now skating in USA can use the type of boost Sasha can provide.
If i was dismissive of anybodies favorite I apologize in advance. These were just my thoughts at the moment and I have been known to be wrong...:p

Last edited:
^^^
This is still all so far away but.....

If Sasha can get a 4th place at the Olys and Rachael or Caroline can nab a 9th place, that would total up to 13. I don't know if the ISU would allow 3 skters for the 2010 Worlds based on an Oly result. Anyone?

janetfan

Match Penalty
^^^
This is still all so far away but.....

If Sasha can get a 4th place at the Olys and Rachael or Caroline can nab a 9th place, that would total up to 13. I don't know if the ISU would allow 3 skters for the 2010 Worlds based on an Oly result. Anyone?

Hmmm, a good question. I don't know the answer but would not be surprised if a good Olympic showing would get that 3rd spot for 2010 Worlds.
And I feel strongly that Caroline or Rachael could do better than 9th based on some of their results at Intl competitions last year.
I am not a big Rachael fan but have a lot of respect for her abilty to compete.
I think Caroline is one of the three most distinctive and beautiful skaters in the world......along with Yuna and Mao. (hmmm, i already forgot Sasha!)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Once again I enjoyed reading janetfan's comments, especially her analysis of the USA Ladies. :)

IMHO the potential they showed at 2008 US Nationals was out of this world, so much so that that particular Nationals is one of my all-time favs! The excitement & awe & tears was on par (for me personally) when Sarah Hughes won the 2002 Olympic Gold Medal. I had such high hopes for all of them, and still do, but must say I was disappointed to see that none of them have lived up to that potential since, except Rachael & Caroline to a certain degree. IMHO, of course. In particular, I was heartbroken for Ashley Wagner when she finished so low (15th?) at the subsequent Worlds, after having hit a homerun at Nationals just a month prior, complete with 7 triples & a 3/3 combo. In fact, she's the one I would have had National Champion that year, as she reminds me of a more advanced Emily Hughes in terms of style, joy, physique, spins, spirals, power, and passion. However, having watched her carefully since that time, my POV is that she wants it *too much*, as evidenced by the tears she shed after the SP. It's like her life depends on it, and I don't know if that can be changed. There has to be a balance. Rachael Flatt has that mindset. It's like what Kitty Carruthers said once: Figure skating is like golf. It's 95% mental. If you're strong mentally, you'll be strong on the ice. The rest is talent & hard work.

As for Sasha, ah, she reminds me of Steve Prefontaine so much (especially when they both started out) ~ both cocky, beautiful, knowing how great they were, small, powerful, medalling in everything they entered when they first hit the scene, and both finished 4th in their first Olympics ~ then came a break from the scene, time to mature a bit, evaluate, reflect, grow up, become humbled, and get ready for a comeback to the Olympics. It's just too bad that Steve never got his chance, having died in a car accident at the age of 24 just before the Montreal Olympics in 1976. But it's not too late for Sasha.

I love underdogs, and I love a good comeback story, I'll be cheering her on all the way.:clap:

P.S. If Mao does what she did at WTT in the SP (which I hope she does again), she'll put herself in the lead by a good margin, at which point it's up to the rest of the pack to try to outrun her. I'll be watching with baited breath & excitement, there's nothing like a great race to the finish!:love:

Great Quotes from a Great Runner ~ Steve Prefontanie.

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more. Nobody is going to win a 5,000 meter race after running an easy 2 miles. Not with me. If I lose forcing the pace all the way, well, at least I can live with myself."

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."

"I don't just go out there and run. I like to give people watching something exciting."

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him,' and I just took off."

"What I want is to be number one."

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."

"I'm going to work so that it's a pure guts race at the end, and if it is, I am the only one who can win it."

"How does a kid from Coos Bay, with one leg longer than the other win races? All my life people have been telling me, 'You're too small Pre', 'You're not fast enough Pre', 'Give up your foolish dream Steve'. But they forgot something, I HAVE TO WIN."

"You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement."

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks Nadine. I also enjoy reading your posts. FYI, I am a fan of Janet Lynn - and a "he" and not a "her":laugh:
I think you are right about 2008 Natls and sometimes wonder if the bar has not been set too high by Yuna and Mao. For the next year or two they look hard to beat. I hope the US ladies will keep improving and that we dont get too hard on them if they don't meet our expectations in 2010.
I don't know what it is about Ashley but her skating does not move me the way Caroline and Mirai do. Rachael may develope more artistry to match her solid technique and that would give her a chance to make future intl podiums.
But looking to the future I think the young US ladies have championship potential.
It may take until they reach 18 or 19 - which coincidentily is the age that Yuna and Mao appear to be peaking at. One thing for sure I expect a new crop of talented US girls to be appearing in the next year or two. Things don't look as hopeful in Japan or Russia as their younger skaters are not doing so well.

I enjoyed your comments about Chen-Lu ("Lulu") even if I thought Michelle won the Gold in Nagano. I would have given Lulu Silver and Tara 3rd. I was lucky enough to have seen Lulu skate at an exhibition and her beautifu, lyrical skating was even more impressive in person.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
My apologies, I just automatically assumed you were a female because of the moniker. From now on I will refer to you as a "he". :)

Lol, I honestly haven't posted this much in years, especially after one of my all-time favorite female skaters (which include Sonja Henie & Oksana Baiul btw) Sarah Hughes unofficially retired from skating after the 2003 Worlds. Also, the implementation of COP had me posting about once or twice per year.

Still, I am a fan of skating, not just of particular skaters & teams, so I made sure to sign up for www.icenetwork.com when it came about. Also, I still make sure to watch US Nationals, Worlds, and of course the Olympics! :)

That said, what actually brought me back to skating was Sasha Cohen's phenomenal FS at the 2006 OIympics, which I wrote about on GS at the time. She made me cry. I've always recognized her talent from day one, but could not really appreciate her until my fav Sarah Hughes unofficially retired.

I may be projecting, but it seems to me that Sasha Cohen has changed as a person as well. She just seems more mature, most notable in the a few of her performances at SOI these past two years. She truly has grown as an artist in the most subtle of ways, a look in the eye, a turn of the wrist, the way she moves her head, undefineable. I like this new Sasha, so different from the little baby ballerina from long ago. It's called growing up, lol, and gathering more life experiences along the way. Still, I would never want to see her spirit broken, which I'm sure she still has in spades, but which is more harnessed, more controlled. I hope to see her fiery spirit once again on the ice!

I'm just really rambling as I await to read little tidbits of info. leaked out about practices, music, costumes, et al. And not just Sasha, but all the skaters. There's simply nothing comparable to the excitement & anticipation of an Olympic Season! :love:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Personally, without an American contender, this Oly season is not going to have even half the anticipation that 2006 did. JMHO.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Not for me, I'm like a child when the Olympics come about, whether it be Winter or Summer (though I do miss when there was no distinction, rather they were one).

It's been like this for me since 1976, and that exquisite summer of Nadia Comaneci, as well as Dorothy Hamill. The former is whom I was always compared to as a child, as I looked exactly like her, but younger, and also both of our names began with the letter N. :) Lol, though it was Dorothy Hamill's famous hairdo I had as a child. :laugh:

The magic of the Olympic Games has never left me, and I hope it never does, as I like being a child at heart. :love:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Personally, without an American contender, this Oly season is not going to have even half the anticipation that 2006 did. JMHO.

I can understand your feeling. Whether it is misguided or not, I think that is why there has been so much buzz about Sasha's return.
Personally, I think Caroline has the best chance to make it to the Olympic podium if:
1. She can win Nationals - which seems to be an obstacle for her, (my biggest fear is that Sasha may come in 3rd at Natls and the 2nd place skater may get bumped. I am a Sasha fan but would feel bad if they do that).

2. Caroline has grown and has been doing off-ice training to get stronger. Kurt Browning has said Caroline just needs to get a little stronger and to skate a little faster into her jump entrances to give her higher scoring marks on her jumps. He said she is on par with and even better than Yuna or Mao at certain other elements. Her spirals and laybacks are unrivaled imho.

Of course I don't know if what I am saying will happen but it is a scenario I could be very excited about.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can understand your feeling. Whether it is misguided or not, I think that is why there has been so much buzz about Sasha's return.
Personally, I think Caroline has the best chance to make it to the Olympic podium if:
1. She can win Nationals - which seems to be an obstacle for her, (my biggest fear is that Sasha may come in 3rd at Natls and the 2nd place skater may get bumped. I am a Sasha fan but would feel bad if they do that).

I honestly think it's way too soon to tell who has the best shot. Did anyone give Alyssa Czisny a chance of winning Nats this year last time around?? Given how quickly the US ladies shuffle around since Kwan/Cohen's departure, ANY one of those ladies who participated in the Summit have a legit shot- any maybe even a couple others that didn't.

To get to your point: It probably will end up being worse- Cohen will be held up so SHE gets 2nd and the other skater gets bumped off. (We saw what happened with Alyssa- if Cohen can put down a clean short, you bet they will have her ahead of the field by several points no matter what the others do). But this could be a moot point because I'll be surprised if she makes it to Nationals. And on that topic, I wonder if she would be in a position to petition for an OLY spot. It would be deja vu all again - Kwan in 2006

Honestly, I hope the right two get sent to Vancouver and both EARN their ticket.

2. Caroline has grown and has been doing off-ice training to get stronger. Kurt Browning has said Caroline just needs to get a little stronger and to skate a little faster into her jump entrances to give her higher scoring marks on her jumps. He said she is on par with and even better than Yuna or Mao at certain other elements. Her spirals and laybacks are unrivaled imho.

What matters is not what Browning thinks, but what the judges think.

I doubt whether Sasha or Caroline will be in any of the "B" comps. Too bad Campbells dropped figure skating for a quck glimpse of comparison purposes. So we have to wait for the GPs.to get a glimpse of what the Nationals may turn out.

I don't think one can judge the outcome of how they may place in the Olys but we certainly can tell which of the two has the better Tech. As for that old magic word battered about during the early days of the decade, Caroline's flexibility is as stunning as is Sasha's.

It will be truly a Flexibility on Ice! contest.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Quote: red dog
"if Cohen can put down a clean short, you bet they will have her ahead of the field by several points no matter what the others do). But this could be a moot point because I'll be surprised if she makes it to Nationals. And on that topic, I wonder if she would be in a position to petition for an OLY spot. It would be deja vu all again - Kwan in 2006"

I am not so sure if I understand - or agree regarding Sasha's return.
From Sasha's pov, competing again is probably a more welcome change/challenge than continuing on for another year on SOA. In addition, if she does anything, it will only help raise her profile (which is second only to Michelle.
So I see it as a win-win situation for Sasha. If she doesn't make it back she can continue as the "star" of SOA. If she does make it to Natls and then Vancouver she will be in a better position to do whatever it is she wants in the future.
I can only see injuries stopping her return. I can also see a possibilty that she will be outclassed at Natls and NOT be named to Olympic team.
Is your point that this is all a bluff - and Sasha will pull out due to a lack of competetive fire or diminshed skills?