Yuna, Mao and Sasha | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Yuna, Mao and Sasha

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can only see injuries stopping her return. I can also see a possibilty [sic] that she will be outclassed at Natls and NOT be named to Olympic team.
Is your point that this is all a bluff - and Sasha will pull out due to a lack of competetive [sic] fire or diminshed [sic] skills?

Well, not exactly. You said it in the first (quoted) sentence though. :cool:

ETA: Of course, it's always possible. But she sounded fairly determined to me during the teleconference. Given her history, however, I'd be very surprised if she doesn't pull out of at least ONE competition citing some sort of injury. (could be SA, or even Olys) And if she finds herself in the same position as Meissner did last season (i.e. falling from world-class to C-level skater) I think she may just retire.

Last edited:

vlaurend

Final Flight
People rave about Yuna and Mao but they both look over programmed to me and it is obvious neither of them has had much serious dance training.

Mao did lots of ballet (in fact, she started off in ballet, before she ever skated). I think the ballet influence is very apparent in her skating. You will also see her expression, musicality and dance ability if you look at her exhibition programs from last season, especially her tango.

I think Caroline is one of the three most distinctive and beautiful skaters in the world......along with Yuna and Mao. (hmmm, i already forgot Sasha!)

You also forgot Joannie Rochette! (But the judges won't! ;) )

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mao did lots of ballet (in fact, she started off in ballet, before she ever skated). I think the ballet influence is very apparent in her skating. You will also see her expression, musicality and dance ability if you look at her exhibition programs from last season, especially her tango.

You also forgot Joannie Rochette! (But the judges won't! ;) )

I know I was wrong about Mao - she had ballet training when she was a very little girl for a couple of years. Not that much as she got older though. It looks to me that Caroline has had much more training and she incorporates more balletic moves and style than Mao has in the past. I did not like either of Mao's programs too much this season - thought the choreo was not so good and her LP looked like it was an old one from Yagudin days. So heavy and ponderous for such a light skater like Mao.
I did love her Tango Gala !! Thought it was so entertaining. :yes:
I really only saw Mao at Worlds this season and I know she did not skate her programs very well there. I saw clips from WTT and there she was so much better.

I like Joannie's skating and hope she has a great season. Her skating has become very polished and she finaly seems to have learned how to compete.
She skated well at Wolrds and WTT. But she only beat Caroline by a 3-4 points at WTT. So we will see what happens this season. I am a fan of so many of these ladies I root for them all, just root harder for some.
Since I am American I give my #1 support to Caroline. And I love her skating alot. Did you see Caroline's Gala , "Lullabye " A very beautiful Gala program!

vlaurend

Final Flight
I know I was wrong about Mao - she had ballet training when she was a very little girl for a couple of years. Not that much as she got older though. It looks to me that Caroline has had much more training and she incorporates more balletic moves and style than Mao has in the past. I did not like either of Mao's programs too much this season - thought the choreo was not so good and her LP looked like it was an old one from Yagudin days. So heavy and ponderous for such a light skater like Mao.
I did love her Tango Gala !! Thought it was so entertaining. :yes:
I really only saw Mao at Worlds this season and I know she did not skate her programs very well there. I saw clips from WTT and there she was so much better.

I like Joannie's skating and hope she has a great season. Her skating has become very polished and she finaly seems to have learned how to compete.
She skated well at Wolrds and WTT. But she only beat Caroline by a 3-4 points at WTT. So we will see what happens this season. I am a fan of so many of these ladies I root for them all, just root harder for some.
Since I am American I give my #1 support to Caroline. And I love her skating alot. Did you see Caroline's Gala , "Lullabye " A very beautiful Gala program!

All good points. I'll admit I may be a bit spoiled, having seen Caroline skate in person since she was about 10 or 11. When I finally saw Mao close up (I was ice monitor on practice ice all week at Worlds this year), I was just floored. No comparison! I will say the same for seeing Sasha in person compared to Caroline. While equally flexible, Sasha has unequaled extension and positions. Of course I am rooting for Caroline, though. She's our local girl and I do think she may have the best spins in the world. :)

So she studied ballet and gave it up for skating. Not unlike Jenny Kirk. What does all that mean? Sasha did not study ballet, and to me she doesn't need it.