Religious Fervor is on the March! | Golden Skate

Religious Fervor is on the March!

Maine ok'd same sex marriage, and the soul savers are out now to have a referendum on it.

It's important for the religious right who really believe that if it ever becomes the law of the land, there will be god's revenge by:

Wild fires and earthquakes on the West Coast, particularly in California

Avalanches throughout the Mountains

Tornedos in the midWest

Hurricanes on the East Coast

The God(s) are angry. No?

merrywidow

Record Breaker
The Gods may be angry, Joe, but I think it's because we continue to pollute the air & water on our planet. That's All of Us, not just one small segment of our population.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Thank you Joe for showing maturity. I'm a Christian & you don't sound like you really know any of us.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Maine ok'd same sex marriage, and the soul savers are out now to have a referendum on it.

It's important for the religious right who really believe that if it ever becomes the law of the land, there will be god's revenge by:

Wild fires and earthquakes on the West Coast, particularly in California

Avalanches throughout the Mountains

Tornedos in the midWest

Hurricanes on the East Coast

The God(s) are angry. No?

This stuff happens every year. What's the big deal? It's not the gods that are angry and it's not god's revenge...Mother nature is pissed off!!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
As you well know, I'm a Christian and have never heard of that revenge. I know there's a GOD and the punishment comes at death. You either go to Heaven or Hell. He forgives if you ask for it.

This stuff happens every year. What's the big deal? It's not the gods that are angry and it's not god's revenge...Mother nature is pissed off!!
That's my point! :)

Granny - nicely said and its in the personal beliefs area which I approve of - not the religious groups who want to make Religion the Law of the Land.

Czarina - I just don't believe that Religion should rule the earth.

merrywidow - Wouldn't that be more appropriate to do something about the environment rather than worry about 2 people getting married?

Frankly, I see a lot more anti-religious fervor than religious fervor these days. Atheism can be as fanatical and exclusive as any religion. I watched part of a debate between Christopher Hitchens and a Christian pastor the other day. It was remarkable how respectful and rational the pastor was compared with how downright nasty and irrational Hitchens was. Hitchens was relying on putdowns, emotional rhetoric and his nifty Oxbridge accent. I thought it was disgusting.

There is no fear of religion becoming the law of the land in this country. Our Constitution prevents that. But that doesn't mean religious folks shouldn't play a part in public affairs like any other group. That would violate the right to free speech. Where is all the concern about how Muslim groups are using anti-discrimination laws to silence free speech? Is it only traditional Christians who are a problem?

Last time I recall Christian religious fervor being on the march in a big way was the civil rights movement. Did you have a problem with that, Joe? Or is it only a problem when you don't agree with them?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I don't think its religion or faith that's the issue... its the wacked out Right who have decided that they and only they have the ability to know what God finds sinful. I am a devout Christian and I believe in evolution, science and God's judgement. What my faith requires of me is the following:
  • Marriage is a holy union. Marriage is a contract. And is described as such in the bible.
  • Man made the laws and places the blame on God.
  • God's week and my week are vastly different. You can't believe in divine order and then decide that God must work on your timetable
  • The Catholic church reduced the books of the bible down to the basics. Its like comparing Danielle Steel's Zoya to War & Peace. Both dealth with the Russian Revolution but in vastly different ways
  • Faith is about promoting love not hate and bigotry
  • With children being murdered in Africa and Death & Destruction all around, what makes people think that God is concerned about silliness?
  • I doubt that the USA is farther up God's priority list than other countries
  • God is about love... not hate or fear of the unknown.

We will all be suprised when we get to Heaven and see who made it and who didn't...

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Of course, I believe it would be wonderful if all believed in Christ. If they followed the Bible and those beliefs, there would be no hatred and all would get along peacefully. Of course, that's not the way it is and it's too, too bad. I believe when I get to heaven, it will be that way. Guess I better go pray to make sure I get there. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
[*]The Catholic church reduced the books of the bible down to the basics. Its like comparing Danielle Steel's Zoya to War & Peace. Both dealth with the Russian Revolution but in vastly different ways
Don't tell anyone, but War & Peace is about the Napoleonic War, not the Revolution. Tolstoy died a few years prior to the Revolution :)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Don't tell anyone, but War & Peace is about the Napoleonic War, not the Revolution. Tolstoy died a few years prior to the Revolution :)

I know... Its been years since I read War & Peace and have such a great time comparing the two books that I forget that I don't know what the heck I'm talking about... but that's the risk one runs in a society that doesn't read... no one ever calls me on it! Such is life for a smart girl (or rather smart-mouth girl...):rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the correction. I need to be knocked down a peg or two!! Happy Mother's Day!

Actually, I think if you take the long view, religious fervor in the U.S. is on the decline, especially with regard to influening public policy.

Something like 77% of Americans are nominal Christians -- down from over 90 percent in previous decades. I suspect that half of these do not practice their religion at all.

As for politics, after the last national election the main task of the Republican Party is to make sure they don't get branded so narrowly as a party of zealots as to lose their appeal to middle-of-the-road voters.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I know... Its been years since I read War & Peace and have such a great time comparing the two books that I forget that I don't know what the heck I'm talking about... but that's the risk one runs in a society that doesn't read... no one ever calls me on it! Such is life for a smart girl (or rather smart-mouth girl...):rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the correction. I need to be knocked down a peg or two!! Happy Mother's Day!

Frankly, I am quite surprised that you actually read war and peace!! :rock:

heyang

Record Breaker
Of course, I believe it would be wonderful if all believed in Christ. If they followed the Bible and those beliefs, there would be no hatred and all would get along peacefully. Of course, that's not the way it is and it's too, too bad. I believe when I get to heaven, it will be that way. Guess I better go pray to make sure I get there. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just wanted to comment that many of the world's religions are based on the same principles to treat each other with respect. Many of the main religions have sprung from the same roots; they just vary on what name they use for God, if they believe that the savior has been shown to them, etc.

Anyway, my point is that you don't have to believe in Christ to have 'christian-like' values. I think it's something that everyone tends to forget when they believe that their 'faith' is better than others.

The religious right conservatives are waiting to see if Obama chooses a new supreme court justice who will not be against same sex marriage. The issue is replacing Abortion as the number one issue of the conservatives. Environment is not so pressing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just wanted to comment that many of the world's religions are based on the same principles to treat each other with respect.

Western and Eastern religions vary drastically on many issues... and are very different from each other on the basics as well...

just saying ;)

*gonna stay outta this debate*