Question about CA Recall | Golden Skate

Question about CA Recall

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
mom and I were "discussing" it and I was under the impression that the recall had to happen and then there'd be a seperate election for the actual governor... mom thinks the recall already happened and that they're voting in the gov... so is it a combo of both of us or what? I am extremely confused LOL

heyang

Record Breaker
There are 2 votes (not including other propositions):

1. Should the governor be recalled? YES/NO
2. Who should be governor?

Even if a person votes NO to #1, they still need to respond to #2 to 'vote' in a gubanatorial election.

If a majority vote YES to #1, then the governor is whoever gets the most votes in #2, which could be Davis.

If a majority vote NO to #1, then the governor remains Davis even if he does not have a majority of votes in #2.

I saw on the news last night that the process is very confusing. The candidates are not listed in alphabetical order on the ballots, which are printed in several different languages.

One ESL person already admitted that he didn't think he voted correctly after he cast his ballot.

Hope it's not close - otherwise, I'm sure there will be a disastrous recount.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Correction to point about Q#2 above: People did not need to pick a replacement candidate in Q#2 even if they voted No on the recall. I voted NO on the recall and did not select a replacement candidate. This was on the news about 2 weeks before the election on a piece about FAQs about the recall vote. Also, if I was against the recall, why should I pick a replacement candidate?

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

heyang

Record Breaker
hrmsk8ngnutt,

I'm surprised that you weren't required to vote in #2 in a sense. Seems like some people would say that they didn't vote in Q2 because they didn't feel the recall would have a chance, and therefore they didn't get to represent themselves. Just the way some would think...

By not voting, you excercised your right not to vote.

Did you vote no because you were against the Recall and not vote in Q2 because you aren't neccessarily a Gray supporter? Just curious.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
To answer your questions....

heyang,

I voted No on the recall because I was against the recall - I didn't see a need for it, I didn't think Gray Davis was doing a bad job, and I felt Davis had been re-elected fairly and should serve out his term. I did not vote for a replacement candidate because: 1) if I'm against the recall, then why should I pick someone to replace Davis. I did not sign any of the petitions for a recall election because I didn't think it was necessary!!!!; 2) I did not like any of the choices for a replacement.

What really irritated me about this whole recall process:
1) People were complaining about money and budget. Hello, it takes money to run a whole recall so why are we spending all this money???
2) More people voted in the recall election than in the election last fall when Davis was re-elected. Where were all these people last year? Granted, I can understand the argument that it's great we the people can do this. But if people really didn't want Davis for 4 more years then they should have said so last fall!!! I also think it sets a bad precedent. If this can be done, then I say we recall GW Bush - then again he has one more year so what's the point now?!?!?!?

Obviously, I'm in the minority. But now that the majority of the people have spoken I want to see what Ah-Nuld will do. I hope that he can do a good job. We'll just have to wait and see.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)