Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on 2009-2010 ISU Ice Dance guidelines

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    It will be really interesting to see the OD next season if most of the dance teams really do use their own folk dances. I'm sure the Russian judges especially got sick listening to Kalinka over and over again in 2008. And so little teams could skate to Kalinka well.

But if most of the teams do follow this 'recommendation', does this mean no flamencos? I think the flamenco is one of the most gorgeous folk dances around.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=1442

BTW, also announced, the OD for the 2010/ 2011 season is rhythms of the 50's, 60's and 70's. Disco rulez!. And rock and roll. And the twist, mashed potatoes and the watusi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noipgvYHQas
    I'm looking forward to the dances! It sounds really cool. And I can't wait to see the costumes and the hairdos for this OD.

Paying the bills
    The only examples we have of a team being penalized for a rhythm was a couple that did a blues at Lake Placid IDC the last time we had folk dance as a rhythm, and were told they had to change it (and they did).
    If I remember correctly, it was because one of the CD's during that same year was the Blues, so they couldn't use the same rhythm. It was not restricted on the original communication, but I think it was part of the clarification that was released.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    That sounds likely. However, the country waltz is still on the OD list for next year, while both Juniors and Seniors have waltz CD's: Westminster for the Juniors and Golden for the seniors.

I wonder whether someone will put in a question in the ISU Q&A on that, since it does not seem quite fair.

And since Ben Agosto's mother is Jewish and his father Puerto Rican, and since no one knows the origin of the name Belbin (It could be ancient Iranian, Roman or French from this website)

http://www.belbin.net/

Ben & Tanith have some very intriguing choices that other's don't have. I'd love to see them do some Puerto Rican folk dance!

This would be fun!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO8YX9JtG5I

So would this! Reminds me a bit of the flamenco:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdNtn...eature=related

Navarro (resident of the kingdom of Navarre, land now in both France & Spain) and Bommentre could perhaps do something French or Spanish.

perhaps this piece:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2rj...om=PL&index=64

Or this Basque dance
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu7pYbyUb1A
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 05-09-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Throwing tomatoes at corrupt judges Audrey19's Avatar
    Jeez, what the hell was the ISU thinking when recommanding to use your own traditional dances? If everyone did that, it would mean no flamencos or tangos at all, but tons of Russian folk dances! Pleaso, no more Russian folk dances!
    Anyway, why don't they let them do whatever they want, what's the reason for this recommandation? Many couples have already done that last time, and Belbin & Agosto were even penalized for it.
    I just hope everyone will be creative with their choices and we'll see many great dances!

Custom Title
    Lol, the only song I hope *no American* team does is the one from Deliverance, now that just creeps me out, reminds me too much of Rob Zombie's Devils Rejects! Seriously, that particular scene has been playing in my mind over & over again since I heard the OD is supposed to be "traditional/country/folk".

I have no problem with the music, it's just the atmosphere/clothing/appearance, not good, not good at all.

Other than that, I like everybody else's suggestions.

Oops, before I forget, I have to say that I absolutely looooooved Jane Summersett & Todd Gilles folk OD from 2008 US Nationals from the Oh Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack. It doesn't hurt that Alisson Krauss is one of my all-time favorite singers ~ she truly does have the voice of an angel ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGBU8ewhzI0

Quote Originally Posted by pista04 View Post
    What about a more Tejano music style? Do you think that wouldn't fly since it's not "American" enough? It'd be kinda interesting to see what a team could do with a Selena mix. Haha. =D
    I don't see why Tejano can't be used. Wester and Barantsev, if they are still competing, as Texas residents could certainly claim it!

Or the Cumbia (this one from Austin!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjV-...rom=PL&index=4

Or the TexMex polka -here's one from San Antonio
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsc5n...om=PL&index=22

BTW, I loved S&G's O Brother Where Art Thou OD too!
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 05-09-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Remember what happened when B/A tried to use Appalachian folk music? The ISU judges "didn't understand it" and told them to use cowboy music instead. And STILL didn't like it.
    I was going to point that out as well...

but then, we don't want the N. Americans winning in ice dance, right?

Paying the bills
    That sounds likely. However, the country waltz is still on the OD list for next year, while both Juniors and Seniors have waltz CD's: Westminster for the Juniors and Golden for the seniors.
    Right, no stipulations about the waltzes, other than it should be very distant from the feeling of the Grand Ballroom, which probably covers it. Again though, it's still fairly vague and I know we're trying to cover all bases before putting together a final product.

I'm really happy the ISU have chosen folk dances for the olys. Not only are they uber entertaining, but they're what the olympicas are all about.

Here's a couple of dances I'd like to see (that haven't already been done):
    - Hava Nagila (that would be so much fun!)
    - Morris dancing
    - Irish dancing
    - Hutsul dancing
    - Chinese dacing (you never get to see it)

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey19 View Post
    Jeez, what the hell was the ISU thinking when recommanding to use your own traditional dances?
    It's also so ambiguous and vague on what the meaning is of many directives in figure skating are..

Let's face it - the ISU is trying to be entertaining which, imo, loses a lot competitive requirements. We will be seeing a lot of variations on Ukrainian folk dances and American swing dances.

Be specific, ISU!!! or if you must, a choice of two not necessarily folk but like European or Carribbean Dances.

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey19 View Post
    Jeez, what the hell was the ISU thinking when recommanding to use your own traditional dances? If everyone did that, it would mean no flamencos or tangos at all, but tons of Russian folk dances! Pleaso, no more Russian folk dances!
    Anyway, why don't they let them do whatever they want, what's the reason for this recommandation? Many couples have already done that last time, and Belbin & Agosto were even penalized for it.
    I just hope everyone will be creative with their choices and we'll see many great dances!
    I think it's to avoid people doing dances that they don't understand. I remember the second British couple's sirtaki, it was dreadful - they should have done something that they actually got.

Quote Originally Posted by NatachaHatawa View Post
    I'm really happy the ISU have chosen folk dances for the olys. Not only are they uber entertaining, but they're what the olympics are all about.

- Hutsul dancing
    Any links for Chinese dancing, since we never get to see it? We certainly did not get it from the Chinese teams in 2008.

Huang & Zheng did Russian.
    Yu & Wang actually did Havah Nagila

Paying the bills
    Quote Originally Posted by NatachaHatawa View Post
    I'm really happy the ISU have chosen folk dances for the olys. Not only are they uber entertaining, but they're what the olympicas are all about.

Here's a couple of dances I'd like to see (that haven't already been done):
    - Hava Nagila (that would be so much fun!)
    - Morris dancing
    - Irish dancing
    - Hutsul dancing
    If you have access to Ice Network, there are some US dancers who skated to a few of the themes you have noted above. It would be under the January 2008 archive.

Junior team Shannon Wingle/Ryan Deveraux - Hava Nagila
    Junior team Piper Gilles/Tim McKernan - Irish (also Farrell/Fishpaw and Denis/Petukhov had an Irish theme, just not quite as authentic IMO as Gilles/McKernan)
    It's not Chinese, but the Junior team of Maia & Alex Shibutani skated to a beautiful Japanese theme.

Custom Title
    Only one thing is sure:
    Domnina and Shabalin will dance a Waltz ( an ancient, traditional Russian one )

Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    If you have access to Ice Network, there are some US dancers who skated to a few of the themes you have noted above. It would be under the January 2008 archive.

Junior team Shannon Wingle/Ryan Deveraux - Hava Nagila
    Junior team Piper Gilles/Tim McKernan - Irish (also Farrell/Fishpaw and Denis/Petukhov had an Irish theme, just not quite as authentic IMO as Gilles/McKernan)
    It's not Chinese, but the Junior team of Maia & Alex Shibutani skated to a beautiful Japanese theme.
    Thanks for the information!
    It would be nice though to see those dances done by seniors, at the Olys.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    Only one thing is sure:
    Domnina and Shabalin will dance a Waltz ( an ancient, traditional Russian one )
    You said it! Another thing that is sure: somehow the judges will accept it as being a folk/country dance, even though it isn't!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast