Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Thoughts on 2009-2010 ISU Ice Dance guidelines

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NatachaHatawa View Post
    I'm really happy the ISU have chosen folk dances for the olys. Not only are they uber entertaining, but they're what the olympicas are all about.

Here's a couple of dances I'd like to see (that haven't already been done):
    - Hava Nagila (that would be so much fun!)
    - Morris dancing
    - Irish dancing
    - Hutsul dancing
    - Chinese dacing (you never get to see it)
    Add African Dancing and Indian(both American and South asian) to that list, but that seems impossible with these rules.

Paying the bills
    Quote Originally Posted by life684 View Post
    Add African Dancing and Indian(both American and South asian) to that list, but that seems impossible with these rules.
    During the 2008 season, Canadian dancers Ralph/Hill and US dancers Navarro/Bommentre & Cannuscio/Lorello all had an African theme. US dancers Maxwell/Traxler did American Indian. I think provided they stay away from the rhythms used in the CD's that year, they should be okay.

Hopefully the international judges will have a more open mind this time around and teams will stretch out and not play it safe.

Quote Originally Posted by cleopatra20042004 View Post
    I;m not sure that i am ready for disco yet. A whole season of " Ah ah ah stayin alive", finger pointing, and pelvic thrusts
    There are _tons_ of great disco songs (and disco is really the last great couple dance tradition in western culture).

There are the warhorses:

I will survive, Stayin' Alive, Do the hustle, Le Freak etc, We are Family, Hot stuff etc.

But there's tons more (don. I would _drool_ for a disco OD.

:chorus:

I have to say that 50's, 60's, 70's seems like a hot mess of pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NatachaHatawa View Post
    I'm really happy the ISU have chosen folk dances for the olys. Not only are they uber entertaining, but they're what the olympicas are all about.

Here's a couple of dances I'd like to see (that haven't already been done):
    - Hava Nagila (that would be so much fun!)
    - Morris dancing
    - Irish dancing
    - Hutsul dancing
    - Chinese dacing (you never get to see it)
    Choreographing the chinese dance could be difficult especially understanding specific moves of the dances, this i believe is partly the reason why we ended up seeing so many Kalinka (most choreographer are russian or are used to this kind of dancing )

I'm pretty sure they did some editing to the original document. I think the original version probably looked something like this:
    Dear Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin:
    a) The incorrect selection of music for the rhythms/dances chosen must be penalized.
    Sincerely, the ISU

I guess that the suggestion for teams to use folk music from their own countries has something to do with avoiding some 20 kalinka, gypsies and gopaks from, say, Mexican skaters (I know there aren't any mexicans right now, it was just for example... what happened to the Muñanas by the way?).

And this just disheartened me
    *NOTE: Even if there is a proposal on the Agenda of the Congress 2010 to have only two segments for Ice Dance
    events, the current Constitution requires that the Compulsory Dances and the rhythms for the Original Dance
    2010/2011 are announced in this Communication.
    Like, yeah, we put finnstep there to make you happy, but keep in mind there might not be compulsories next season...hahaha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3