A letter from Yu-Na to her fans. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

A letter from Yu-Na to her fans.

Wrlmy

Medalist
It cracks me up that the perpetual Mao/Yuna debate has somehow shifted to "which ubers are worse" discussion. I count myself as an uber, but I didn't take offense at evangeline's post. It's very clear what she/he was referring to. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't she/he addressing to those who register here to post a slow-mo video and constantly re-register after each competition with different names just to do that? Even as an uber, I find them simply frustrating pathetic.

But sometimes, it's just not clear to whom people are referring when they say things like "crazed ubers", and it does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

janetfan

Match Penalty
It appears from your very own words that you do understand the difference between the uncalled for and annoying behavior of "crazed uber-fans" and the fans that may be very devoted but mange to maintain a degree of civility and rationality when discussing their favorite skater.

BTW, I like the expression "crazed uber-fans" :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Andalusia

Final Flight
I took Yuna's exceptional letter as an understated plea to her fans, and even the whole country that she will do her best for them in Vancouver and hopes that will be enough.
But it seems that no matter how great her accomplishments nothing will be acceptable to them but the OGM.
I hope Yuna will be able to cope with the intense pressure from her fans and that we won't witness another "Midori tearful apology" should she not win.
I know this is just as true for Mao and hope she will be able to cope with the incredible pressure from her homeland.

My sentiments exactly. It's a lovely letter, and probably a bit of a pre-emptive move as well. She's taking into consideration the possibility that she might not win the OGM, although I don't think she has much to worry about at this point, as she's clearly the front runner. Even Mao seems to think so, what with her recent talk of continuing beyond 2010, and how not winning in Vancouver won't be such a big deal. But I really worry about world peace :laugh: if Kim loses the OGM, and loses it to Mao - can you imagine the board meltdowns and the foaming at the mouth of the bots?

I don't think Mao will have it quite so hard if she doesn't win, probably because Japan has a strong tradition in FS and has already produced an OGM and OSM. Plus, Mao seems more likely to continue until 2014 unlike Kim. I don't think her loss will provoke such nationalistic sentiments, either, when considering how Japan is viewed in context of its neighbours.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Actually, I doubt Yuna will have it rough if she doesn't win OGM. She's the first competitive figure skater from her country, and any color of olympic medal will be the first as well. She lost to Mao on her home turf, but she didn't have make a public apology and signed additional endorsement contracts. I see where Midori comparison is coming from, but Japan had world-level skaters before Ito like Emi Watanabe.

OTOH, I am worried about whoever comes after Yuna. She/he will have to deal with immense pressure and suffer from automatic comparison to her pioneer, and I doubt winning JW or grand prix will be considered an accomplishment any more.

evangeline

Record Breaker
It cracks me up that the perpetual Mao/Yuna debate has somehow shifted to "which ubers are worse" discussion. I count myself as an uber, but I didn't take offense at evangeline's post. It's very clear what she/he was referring to. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't she/he addressing to those who register here to post a slow-mo video and constantly re-register after each competition with different names just to do that? Even as an uber, I find them simply frustrating pathetic.

Yes, those slow-mo video types of uber-fans were exactly who I was referring to when I wrote my original post (which admittedly was a careless offhand remark; I just didn't think it would be so...misunderstood)--hence the addition of the word 'crazed'. Perhaps 'crazed' was not the best word to use, but there are different types of uber-fans, some more rational than others.

I also think Yu-Na would not have it rough if she does not win the OGM--after all, she is a beloved celebrity in her country and she will still be a pioneering force for South Korean skaters no matter what happens.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Actually, I doubt Yuna will have it rough if she doesn't win OGM. She's the first competitive figure skater from her country, and any color of olympic medal will be the first as well. She lost to Mao on her home turf, but she didn't have make a public apology and signed additional endorsement contracts. I see where Midori comparison is coming from, but Japan had world-level skaters before Ito like Emi Watanabe.

Oh, I don't think Yu-Na herself will have it rough if she doesn't win the OGM. I think she'd appear to be fine with it even if she got the bronze. She's already so idolized in her country that I don't think it's possible she'll ever be torn down. She'll also continue earning the big bucks in endorsements, I'm sure. The fans, however, are a different story. There will be insane babbling about Mao's 3A only having 1.5 revolutions, how Mao headbutted Yu-Na during warm-ups, doctored YouTube clips reposted ad nauseum, blah blah blah, etc. etc. etc.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I can only hope admins will be quick to ban those guys before it gets blown out of proportion.:p or....win it all Yuna so you can keep them underground!

evangeline

Record Breaker
^^^

Or maybe the best situation would be if someone like Carolina Kostner finally puts down 2 skates of her life at the Olympics and deservedly wins it all, throwing uber-fans of both sides into total states of shock...:laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Oh, I don't think Yu-Na herself will have it rough if she doesn't win the OGM. I think she'd appear to be fine with it even if she got the bronze. She's already so idolized in her country that I don't think it's possible she'll ever be torn down. She'll also continue earning the big bucks in endorsements, I'm sure. The fans, however, are a different story. There will be insane babbling about Mao's 3A only having 1.5 revolutions, how Mao headbutted Yu-Na during warm-ups, doctored YouTube clips reposted ad nauseum, blah blah blah, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, I think you are right, it will be the fans, and not just the crazed uber-fans, but the casual fans who have been mislead before by a not so always well informed press and media. If the competition is close and there is the least bit of controversy things could really get bad. Government officials will call for investigations. Ambassadors could get recalled, trade embargos could follow and a general feeling of despair will settle over the country.
Building will collapse, there will be atonal music everywhere and dark clouds will hang over the country until the next Olympics.
For gosh sakes, I love Yuna's skating and hope she wins for humanitarian reasons. Only then will her fans be spared the incredibly agonizing and unbearable outcome of dealing with a silver or bronze medal around their girls neck.;);).

Last edited:

babyalligator

On the Ice
^^^

Or maybe the best situation would be if someone like Carolina Kostner finally puts down 2 skates of her life at the Olympics and deservedly wins it all, throwing uber-fans of both sides into total states of shock...:laugh:

lol. oh god. haha.

i don't know about carolina, but miki who won out over mao and yuna at WC in 07 might be able to pull off such a shocker.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Yes, I think you are right, it will be the fans, and not just the crazed uber-fans, but the casual fans who have been mislead before by a not so always well informed press and savy media. If the competition is close and there is the least bit of controversy things could really get bad. Government officials will call for investigations. Ambassadors could get recalled, trade embargos could follow and a general feeling of despair will fall over the country.
Building will collapse, there will be atonal music everywhere and dark clouds will hang over the country.
For gosh sakes, I love Yuna's skating and hope she wins for humanitarian reasons. Only then will her fans be spared such a miserable outcome as dealing with a sliver or bronze medal around their girls neck.;);).

ROTFLMAO.

But you're right about the media; I wonder how SBS will paint the picture if Mao wins the OGM, considering how they tried to demonize the Japanese skaters in light of Kim's whining about being torpedoed during warm-ups.

Sarah Meier or Laura Lepisto for gold in 2010! :rock:

babyalligator

On the Ice
Welcome to Golden Skate, Babyalligator! :agree:

thank you very much! :)

ROTFLMAO.

But you're right about the media; I wonder how SBS will paint the picture if Mao wins the OGM, considering how they tried to demonize the Japanese skaters in light of Kim's whining about being torpedoed during warm-ups.

Sarah Meier or Laura Lepisto for gold in 2010! :rock:

I don't think there will be a SBS repeat. They managed to make a lot of Korean fans angry with all the fuss they caused.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
^^^

You know what would make everyone shut up? Kwan coming back and winning the gold :rofl: :rofl:

Ant

Particle Man

Match Penalty
^^^

Someone LIKE Carolina Kostner....... ahh, you mean Sasha should win the Olympics just to smack other uberfans in the face. I get it. :laugh: