Evan Lysacek | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek

psycho

On the Ice
I'm American - die hard patriotic - but I didn't swell with more pride because an American won. I was excited for my FAVORITE to win. Country doesn't matter (nor should it, IMHO, a COUNTRY does not make one great.)

:thumbsup: Tell me about it.

Look, be happy for Evan, be happy that your favourite won, but acting like he did some great service to all Americans? A little much...

I am Canadian and I die a little everytime Patrick Chan wins something. I root for people, not countries, and quite frankly, I completely don't get the mindset of those who root country first. But to each his/her own, I guess..

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have been a fan of Evan Lysacek since I saw his skating from Junior Worlds, and I´m extremely glad for his win at 2009 Worlds. He is an American skater and I did not become a fan because of that, but because his skating very much pleased my eye at Junior Worlds (and still does). To me a skater´s country has never been a reason to become a fan of any athlete. LOL, on the other hand I have to admit that in past (long, long time ago), I became a fan of some athletes in spite of their country....

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Scott Hamilton. - I assume Brian Boitano had a similar reception after his Olympic Gold.

And I ask again - what has Evan done for American Skating fans? His win has not made NBC rethink their schedule for next year or beyond.

I'm American - die hard patriotic - but I didn't swell with more pride because an American won. I was excited for my FAVORITE to win. Country doesn't matter (nor should it, IMHO, a COUNTRY does not make one great.)

:clap: :clap: :agree:

merrybari

Final Flight
Off topic, but this is an issue that the moderators have a heck of a tme with, when it gets out of hand. There is such a fine line between criticizing the criticism and criticizing the criticizer.

Poster A: Lysacek is great!
Poster B: Lysacek stinks.
Poster A: You are an idiot.

Poster B's post is unhelpful and contributes nothing of value to the discussion. But at least it is on topic, the topic being Lysacek.

But Poster A's retort is at fault, too, becuse the subject of his sentence is "you," not Lysacek.

But it is often hard to split hairs this way. For some reason, I think it is 100% better to say. "What you just said about Lysacek is stupid," than to say, "You are stupid for saying that about Lysacek."

Spoken like the true moderator you are. We thank you all! :bow:

Everyone should feel to express their opinion be it "gushy" or otherwise. and be mindful that though not everyone agrees with every one else, it's OK to agree to disagree. Vent if you will, but do it kindly! :)

For me, it's not the criticism that matters, but as you say, the WAY it's phrased. Constructive criticism is helpful and welcome. Kindness is always best, imo!

Destructive criticism for it's own sake is exactly that - destructive and furthermore, depressing. Who needs that in this day and age? There's enough of that in the "real" world. It's nice to be able to enjoy each other and share thoughts and ideas on something we all have in common - our love of figure skating and those who do it so well.

merrybari

Final Flight
What's wrong is that when any top skater gets a fan post or any kind of praise, someone immediately goes out of their way to respond with how much they dislike that skater.

RE: what's wrong with hero worship?

I was speaking more generically in the world at large than specific to this forum, but I get your point, which is sadly, true enough!

elanna

Rinkside
You know, reading this thread I came across some posts stating that as an athlete wins the Worlds and even Olys his/her country does not have any relation to this great achievement and therefore has absolutely nothing to be proud for! But the athlete, in our case f.skater,has not become a winner at once, on the empty place, but grown as a person and developed as a winner-skater on the basis of cultural and sporting traditions of his country,he/she has fought not only for his/her personal win, but also the victory of his/her homeland-that is why sportsmen from different countries so often cry, standing on the top step of the podiums, and he/she is happy not only for dear self but becouse he/she has brought victory for his/her country! And Evan looked totally different out there on the podium, just think: he has become the first American World champion since back 1996, after 13 years! :clap:

merrybari

Final Flight
You know, reading this thread I came across some posts stating that as an athlete wins the Worlds and even Olys his/her country does not have any relation to this great achievement and therefore has absolutely nothing to be proud for! But the athlete, in our case f.skater,has not become a winner at once, on the empty place, but grown as a person and developed as a winner-skater on the basis of cultural and sporting traditions of his country,he/she has fought not only for his/her personal win, but also the victory of his/her homeland-that is why sportsmen from different countries so often cry, standing on the top step of the podiums, and he/she is happy not only for dear self but becouse he/she has brought victory for his/her country! And Evan looked totally different out there on the podium, just think: he has become the first American World champion since back 1996, after 13 years! :clap:

Well said! Thank you! :agree:

sillylionlove

Medalist
While I am not the biggest fan of Evan...I have to give him props. He won the world championship and I hope that he has an excellent year and medals at the Olympics.

nylynnr

On the Ice
I don't think taking pride in Evan's winning of the world title -- or rooting for U.S. skaters in general -- is jingoistic or uber-patriotic. Many fans are members of USFS themselves, and volunteer or donate money regularly to the memorial fund, making it especially rewarding to see U.S. skaters reach their goals.

merrybari

Final Flight
I don't think taking pride in Evan's winning of the world title -- or rooting for U.S. skaters in general -- is jingoistic or uber-patriotic. Many fans are members of USFS themselves, and volunteer or donate money regularly to the memorial fund, making it especially rewarding to see U.S. skaters reach their goals.

Good point!

I hesitate to bring this up so I'll state for the record I'm not anti-Canadian fans. I'm glad they are as enthusisatic about the sport as they are.

But, that said, it's been my experience that if you want nationalistic fans, go to Canada where they are totally into supporting their own. Not a problem for me, but I recall sitting next to a Canadian fan at Skate Canada who was surprised that I cheered for non-American skaters as well. She ONLY cheered for the Canadians and seemed proud of it.

I've never been in a more biased arena in my life than the one in Ottawa! Fact - not fiction. I was there.

OTOH, in Everett, for Skate America, the crowd was loudly vocal for skaters from ALL countries, not just their own.

Just food for thought. Not trying to make any particular point here. Plus, I don't want to take the thread off course.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I don't think anyone is denying he had a great end to his season and that it was a triumphant accomplishment. I was bouncing up and down with the results (much to the frustration of my aunt, on whose bed i was bouncing!). I've not seen anywhere on this thread or elsewhere where his win has been diminished. (perhaps maybe the play by play thread from that night, but over all the disappointment of that night was civil).

I'm glad people got to see him and that he did well at this latest event. I guess we could have ignored the "best technique comment" but even as a fan I felt compared to say something...

:bow:Evan is world champion, that can never be taken away. It's something he should be proud of. He works extremely hard and fought some long odds... :bow:

merrybari

Final Flight
Another observation. I seem to be full of those today. :)

The poster of the "best technique" opinion was stating just that with the qualifier "that I have seen." I see no reason to take exception to the comment at all, whether you prefer his style over someone else's or not. It was a statement of opinion rather than fact. JMHO. :)

katiedear

Rinkside
technique

As far as favorites are concerned, I used to absolutely be nuts for Paul Wylie and he did fall alot. But that didn't matter to me I just loved the guy, the skater and his skating. I would pray for him; because that is what I do. He was in our local ice show and he was fantastic. My daughter skated awhile in Massachusetts and he was terrific there to; I thought....on and off the ice. I wanted him to win; I wanted him to succeed.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Another observation. I seem to be full of those today. :)

The poster of the "best technique" opinion was stating just that with the qualifier "that I have seen." I see no reason to take exception to the comment at all, whether you prefer his style over someone else's or not. It was a statement of opinion rather than fact. JMHO. :)

And because it was an opinion, others with differing opinions are still allowed to disagree and state their own opinions nonetheless :)

And I am not, um, Evan's biggest fan and will have to disagree with anyone who thinks he has the best technique, but I am still glad to see that other people enjoy him and his skating.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am a fan of many skaters, irrespective of their nationalities. Of course I want the USA team to do very well, always! Currently I am also pulling the most for Patrick Chan and Takahiko Kozuka on the men's side. That said, I was thrilled that Evan won Worlds. :party: He had a tough season, and it was so heartening to see how he rebounded in LA. We had seen Evan at practice sessions during 2007 Skate America, and were so impressed with his work ethic, intensity, and focus. I hope he has a terrific Olympic season and beyond.