Evan Lysacek | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek

katiedear

Rinkside
I just saw Evan over the weekend performing. He hit 5 triple jumps without a warmup. He is spectacular. I had seen the Bolero and the Stronger performance but of course not 3 feet from my face. This is a spectacular skater and the more you see him; the more you like him. I want him to succeed and I will pray for him. I am excited about figure skating again. The whole show in Rockford was delightful. The Theatre on Ice group from Crystal Lake was outstanding and rounded out the show. Thank you for attending! But Evan....so kind and good with all the skaters; what a joy this young man is. And he worked for everything he has. On to the Olympics. What a wonderful representative we have the for the U.S. Evan Lysacek is a spectacular showman and even better in person.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Gushy vs. Bashy? If he hit 5 triples without a warmup, that sounds to me to be fact rather than opinion. Facts can't gush.

You say he "does nothing for you" but that's not true, assuming you are in the US - he "did something for you" by winning the World championships. And even if you aren't in the US, and don't like his style of skating, he deserves respect for that.

Last edited:
...I had seen the Bolero and the Stronger performance but of course not 3 feet from my face...

I agree. :agree: That makes all the difference. "Up close and personal," Evan's passion and committment to his performance are overwhelming. :rock:

Last edited:

jozmen01

Rinkside
I agree, Golden pleasure - Evan's style does nothing for me. His arms remind me of a top, whirling and whirling around. Yes, he won the Worlds, but his skating still does nothing for me:)

merrybari

Final Flight
Gushy vs. Bashy? If he hit 5 triples without a warmup, that sounds to me to be fact rather than opinion. Facts can't gush.

You say he "does nothing for you" but that's not true, assuming you are in the US - he "did something for you" by winning the World championships. And even if you aren't in the US, and don't like his style of skating, he deserves respect for that.

Right on! :thumbsup:

katiedear

Rinkside
technique

Evan has the finest technique I have seen in 26 years. He was a joy with the skaters. He even took time out to talk to the baby of one of the coaches. This is a wonderful young man who has worked for everything. What a honor to see him in person. He had the tenacity to perform five triples and the ice was badly disturbed by many ice show numbers. His "Stronger" program was fantastic. His "Rhapsody" took my breath away. Everyone no matter what age was talking about how great his performances were. My mom at age 85 was still talking about him this morning. My stepfather who has never been involved in skating raved about him. He was fantastic and seeing him in person was a once in lifetime event for me.

merrybari

Final Flight
Evan has the finest technique I have seen in 26 years. He was a joy with the skaters. He even took time out to talk to the baby of one of the coaches. This is a wonderful young man who has worked for everything. What a honor to see him in person. He had the tenacity to perform five triples and the ice was badly disturbed by many ice show numbers. His "Stronger" program was fantastic. His "Rhapsody" took my breath away. Everyone no matter what age was talked about how great his performances were. My mom at age 85 was still talking about him this morning. My stepfather who has never been involved in skating raved about him. He was truly a joy to see and watch.

I was in Rockford, too! Sizzling performances of great joy and heart! I had on-ice seats for the first time myself. Yipes, talk about "up close and personal!" Doesn't get any better than that. :thumbsup:

He is a show stopper showman of great skill on the ice and great kindness and integrity off the ice. A combination that's hard to beat - imo! :clap:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I was in the stands for Evan's short at worlds, and I agree that even though I had always been a fan, seeing him skate so well live was a completely different experience. He makes you sit on the edge of your seat when he skates and gets your stomach all twisted up. But if course, I think of him almost like family since he trains at my old rink...so that may explain my emotional connection.

I saw Evan at both of the two charity skating shows organized in Detroit by Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto. In the first one, in 2005, he was just one of several entertaining skaters who performed. By the time of the 2007 show, as U.S. champion. he owned the joint. He gave a totally commanding performance (including a monster of a triple Axel) and brought the house down.

One funny thing was, on the ladies side they brought in Oksana Baiul as a guest star. In the closing choreography, Evan was paired with Oksana. But Evan had flown in just before the afternoon show (the one I saw), and he hadn't had time to rehearse, so he and Oksana went off every which way. :laugh:

merrybari

Final Flight
I saw Evan at both of the two charity skating shows organized in Detroit by Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto. In the first one, in 2005, he was just one of several entertaining skaters who performed. By the time of the 2007 show, as U.S. champion. he owned the joint. He gave a totally commanding performance (including a monster of a triple Axel) and brought the house down.

One funny thing was, on the ladies side they brought in Oksana Baiul as a guest star. In the closing choreography, Evan was paired with Oksana. But Evan had flown in just before the afternoon show (the one I saw), and he hadn't had time to rehearse, so he and Oksana went off every which way. :laugh:

I was at that same 2007 one too, and I totally agree with your assessment. That triple axel was HUGE - and looked even bigger as it was coming right at me! Ave Maria has always been one of my favorites of his, and I was awed and inspired by that performance from beginning to end. I'm so glad I got to see it live at least once.

I hadn't heard that story about him and Oksana. Cute! They covered rather well, I thought.

katiedear

Rinkside
nothing like hard work

Evan owned the ice this weekend. This guy is proof that hard work pays off. I can't imagine that there would be detractors; especially if you have seen him in person. Awesome technique, tenacity, style, warmth, and sincerity. This may be all gush but it is the truth. And of course this is figure skating, oh meow.

merrybari

Final Flight
Evan owned the ice this weekend. This guy is proof that hard work pays off. I can't imagine that there would be detractors; especially if you have seen him in person. Awesome technique, tenacity, style, warmth, and sincerity. This may be all gush but it is the truth. And of course this is figure skating, oh meow.

I agree! imo, he takes command of the ice every time he sets his blades on it! He has such presence! and is proof that hard work and goal-setting persistence that pays off.

nubka

Final Flight
I can't imagine praying for any skater, but to each their own...:indiff:

greengal5874

Rinkside
I have seen Evan live 3 times, and I was always a fan before, but even more so after seeing him live. Evan really "sells it" if you know what I mean. He is comitted to bringing it every time he skates and his hard work and dedication have paid off. I think that he keeps improving- more every season. I don't know how anyone could not respect his determination and drive.
Go Evan! Gold in 2010!:rock:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am a huge Evan fan, but sorry, he does not have the best technique out there right now. His triple axel got a little better this year, but the technique in nowhere near Joubert's or Chan's. All his other triples are very strong and clean, no changes of edge or anything, but still I can name at least a handful of other men skating right now who have better technique.