Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Evan Lysacek

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by katiedear View Post
    Evan has the finest technique I have seen in 26 years.
    Wow you know how to compliment a guy.

Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar
    I can't imagine praying for any skater, but to each their own...:indiff:

On the Ice
    I have seen Evan live 3 times, and I was always a fan before, but even more so after seeing him live. Evan really "sells it" if you know what I mean. He is comitted to bringing it every time he skates and his hard work and dedication have paid off. I think that he keeps improving- more every season. I don't know how anyone could not respect his determination and drive.
    Go Evan! Gold in 2010!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by katiedear View Post
    Evan has the finest technique I have seen in 26 years.
    Wow! This reminds me another Evan fan.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I am a huge Evan fan, but sorry, he does not have the best technique out there right now. His triple axel got a little better this year, but the technique in nowhere near Joubert's or Chan's. All his other triples are very strong and clean, no changes of edge or anything, but still I can name at least a handful of other men skating right now who have better technique.

While I'm no expert and I adore Evan - I don't think he has perfect technique. Even I cringe when he goes into his triple axel. Seriously that is one wonky take off and landing.... not pretty. (He gets great air, though)

Quote Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
    You say he "does nothing for you" but that's not true, assuming you are in the US - he "did something for you" by winning the World championships.
    Unless said poster is a male skater in the highest ranks of the senior level I must ask "how?" It's not like Evan's win is really going to bring skating to the forefront next season. Media ratings are DOWN. It's not like the average joe is going to pay icenetwork for coverage (heck *I* won't pay for their coverage! lol) so the most we're gonna get in the US is the NBCUniversal tv contract, which unfortunately isn't much.

They aren't rethinking their gameplan just because Mr. Lysacek won a gold medal. That's not diminishing Evan's win in the slightest - it's just reality.

So I don't know how his gold medal has given American's anything. Has he made the country safer? brought about world peace? fixed the ozone layer? Maybe then you could argue he's done something for everyone. But no such luck (though if he has and I didn't know then I stand corrected).

Yes I'm being a little less than fangirly. There are many posters on here who can point you do my Evan gushfests, but I guess the realist in me just can't quite put him on that high a pedestal. The more involved with skating I get, the more I realize they're all pretty natural down to earth everyday people with the special talent of skating. Sometimes they win, sometimes they don't, and not everyone is going to like the same skater. That's what makes the sport great.

I think ALL of the skaters deserve some level of respect, and it's not based on medal count. They open themselves up to a whole lot of crap just for taking center ice. The medals are just extra.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 05-12-2009 at 12:26 AM.

Medalist
    I think Evan`s made a great step forward this season, both artistically and technically ! Artistically: he`s almost stopped, at last, to flail his arms which always was a waste of his strength in addition to it was not nice at all, all his movements are so much smoother now, he has become a truly interesting out there on the ice; technically: he executes all the elements so confidently, has fine spins/footwork, skates in a good speed! What to his jumping problems, well, he has, thank God, an excellent coach and there is quite enough time till Olys to fix his jumps, I am quite sure he will! I think he may become a new Olympic champion!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by elanna View Post
    I think Evan`s made a great step forward this season, both artistically and technically ! Artistically: he`s almost stopped, at last, to flail his arms which always was a waste of his strength in addition to it was not nice at all, all his movements are so much smoother now, he has become a truly interesting out there on the ice; technically: he executes all the elements so confidently, has fine spins/footwork, skates in a good speed! What to his jumping problems, well, he has, thank God, an excellent coach and there is quite enough time till Olys to fix his jumps, I am quite sure he will! I think he may become a new Olympic champion!

Well said!

Banned
    You say he "does nothing for you" but that's not true, assuming you are in the US - he "did something for you" by winning the World championships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I don't know how his gold medal has given American's anything. Has he made the country safer? brought about world peace? fixed the ozone layer? Maybe then you could argue he's done something for everyone. But no such luck (though if he has and I didn't know then I stand corrected).
    Right, I mean who ever felt something like national pride when the guy from their country won, or city pride when the team from their city won. I've certainly never heard of people in cities celebrating when their city's team won something like the super bowl or whatever, after all none of those people personally benefitted from the win, so of course they didn't care. Thanks for setting me straight!

Custom Title
    So I don't know how his gold medal has given American's anything. Has he made the country safer? brought about world peace? fixed the ozone layer? Maybe then you could argue he's done something for everyone. But no such luck (though if he has and I didn't know then I stand corrected).
    I took the poster's comment to mean American skating fans. No one expects him to "fix" what's wrong in the world.

The more involved with skating I get, the more I realize they're all pretty natural down to earth everyday people with the special talent of skating. Sometimes they win, sometimes they don't, and not everyone is going to like the same skater. That's what makes the sport great.

I think ALL of the skaters deserve some level of respect, and it's not based on medal count. They open themselves up to a whole lot of crap just for taking center ice. The medals are just extra.

I quite agree! and Evan would be the first to say the same. In fact, he has ofter expressed his respect and admiration for his fellow competitors!
    Last edited by merrybari; 05-12-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Custom Title
    Gushy vs. Bashy? If he hit 5 triples without a warmup, that sounds to me to be fact rather than opinion. Facts can't gush.
    So if I don't like a skater, and dare to post my opinion here, that's bashing? I'm afraid we'll have to disagree on that. Bashing is gratuitous or unpleasant criticism. Simply stating your opinion doesn't fall into that category.

You're right, facts can't gush. But the first post in this thread consists mostly of what sounds like hero-worship.

Right, I mean who ever felt something like national pride when the guy from their country won, or city pride when the team from their city won. I've certainly never heard of people in cities celebrating when their city's team won something like the super bowl or whatever, after all none of those people personally benefitted from the win, so of course they didn't care. Thanks for setting me straight!
    Have there ever been street parades for male skaters (or any skaters for that matter) who won world championships?

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Have there ever been street parades for male skaters (or any skaters for that matter) who won world championships?

Ant
    Sara Hughes had her congradulatory city parade in Great Neck, Long Island after winning the gold medal at the 2006 Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Sara Hughes had her congradulatory city parade in Great Neck, Long Island after winning the gold medal at the 2006 Olympics.
    Hughes was one that i seemed to remember. Torvill & Dean also had a massive parade in their home town of Nottingham when they won the gold also.

Any men have street parades for them?

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by merrybari View Post
    (Sorry, I don't know how to get the little "quote" box to separate my responses. Maybe someone can clue me in.)
    All you have to do is correct the spelling of "quote" at the beginning of your quote, and you've got it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast