Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56

Thread: Evan Lysacek

  1. #31
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Hughes was one that i seemed to remember. Torvill & Dean also had a massive parade in their home town of Nottingham when they won the gold also.

    Any men have street parades for them?

    Ant
    The New York Rangers had a ticker tape parade down Broadway - all male hockey team.

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
    You say he "does nothing for you" but that's not true, assuming you are in the US - he "did something for you" by winning the World championships. And even if you aren't in the US, and don't like his style of skating, he deserves respect for that.
    I can't speak for everyone, but I assume what people mean when they say "does nothing for me" is that skater X's style of skating is not personally appealing to that particular person--in other words, a subjective opinion that has little to do with what the skater has actually achieved. For example, multiple world champion and Olympic medalist Elvis Stojko does nothing for me, but I love Shawn Sawyer's skating, even if he's unlikely to bring Canada glory via winning Worlds, etc.

    And because it's a subjective opinion, just because a person disagrees with you doesn't mean that he or she is incorrect.
    Last edited by evangeline; 05-12-2009 at 10:34 AM.

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    All you have to do is correct the spelling of "quote" at the beginning of your quote, and you've got it!
    Well, duh??!! Thanks for noticing - I skipped right over that.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    452
    So... did any men get "street parades"? I'd like to know about any gender inequity in fan-response. Well, be careful about this comparison though - Sarah Hughes won the OLYMPICS. How about Kimmie after '06 Worlds, did she get much fanfare, and how did Evan's fanfare (if any) compare?

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenpleasures View Post
    But the first post in this thread consists mostly of what sounds like hero-worship.
    Why does that matter? The poster was expressing an opinion about an experience he/she really enjoyed and was sharing that here. If it "sounds like hero-worship" that's your opinion, but doesn't diminish the feelings expressed in the first place. Some of it was indeed fact. Besides, what's wrong with a little old-fashioned hero worship?

    JMO

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by merrybari View Post
    what's wrong with a little old-fashioned hero worship?
    What's wrong is that when any top skater gets a fan post or any kind of praise, someone immediately goes out of their way to respond with how much they dislike that skater. But if you criticize their criticism, you're the one in the wrong.

  7. #37
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
    But if you criticize their criticism, you're the one in the wrong.
    Off topic, but this is an issue that the moderators have a heck of a tme with, when it gets out of hand. There is such a fine line between criticizing the criticism and criticizing the criticizer.

    Poster A: Lysacek is great!
    Poster B: Lysacek stinks.
    Poster A: You are an idiot.

    Poster B's post is unhelpful and contributes nothing of value to the discussion. But at least it is on topic, the topic being Lysacek.

    But Poster A's retort is at fault, too, becuse the subject of his sentence is "you," not Lysacek.

    But it is often hard to split hairs this way. For some reason, I think it is 100% better to say. "What you just said about Lysacek is stupid," than to say, "You are stupid for saying that about Lysacek."

  8. #38
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,370
    My two cents on the criticism issue: I think it's great to have positive posts and reports about specific skaters. But this does not mean that there's no room for opposing views. If people want to have a discussion about any skater that's 100% positive, they should go to a fan site dedicated to that skater/ice dance team/pair. On a general figure skating forum like GS, we can't all be expected to like/dislike the same skaters. And GS is generally nowhere near as snarky as other forums, so I don't see what the big deal is.

    Full disclosure: I'm lukewarm regarding Lysacek. I seriously doubt he has better technique than everyone skating right now, let alone over the past 20-something years. But he deserved to win Worlds and I'm sure he's fun to see at shows - he is a very good performer.

  9. #39
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    22

    skating

    I'm for the guy who works hard. Winning is a combination of being the best at the time. You may skate great in the short and not in the long. You could win because you placed the best not winning either because the better skaters flubbed the short and/or the long. Being the World Champion (you must admit) is a pretty great achievement. Being the 2009 World Champion for the U.S. is something that makes me proud and excited about figure skating. It is a good thing to be excited about anything these days. My daughter and our family has been involved in skating now for 26 years. Up and down I still think it has been all worth it. I appreciate a good jump and great flow. I like artistry and meaning choreography. It takes us away from all the other things in life; good and bad. Good shows remind us of why we love skating. Flow and lift are good things; rotation is inspiring. Evan Lysacek is one of those champions who I like. He was generous to the local skaters with the little time we had with him in Rockford.

  10. #40
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,646
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Any men have street parades for them?

    Ant
    Scott Hamilton. - I assume Brian Boitano had a similar reception after his Olympic Gold.



    And I ask again - what has Evan done for American Skating fans? His win has not made NBC rethink their schedule for next year or beyond.

    I'm American - die hard patriotic - but I didn't swell with more pride because an American won. I was excited for my FAVORITE to win. Country doesn't matter (nor should it, IMHO, a COUNTRY does not make one great.)

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I'm American - die hard patriotic - but I didn't swell with more pride because an American won. I was excited for my FAVORITE to win. Country doesn't matter (nor should it, IMHO, a COUNTRY does not make one great.)
    Tell me about it.

    Look, be happy for Evan, be happy that your favourite won, but acting like he did some great service to all Americans? A little much...

    I am Canadian and I die a little everytime Patrick Chan wins something. I root for people, not countries, and quite frankly, I completely don't get the mindset of those who root country first. But to each his/her own, I guess..

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,547
    I have been a fan of Evan Lysacek since I saw his skating from Junior Worlds, and I´m extremely glad for his win at 2009 Worlds. He is an American skater and I did not become a fan because of that, but because his skating very much pleased my eye at Junior Worlds (and still does). To me a skater´s country has never been a reason to become a fan of any athlete. LOL, on the other hand I have to admit that in past (long, long time ago), I became a fan of some athletes in spite of their country....
    Last edited by Jaana; 05-13-2009 at 01:54 AM.

  13. #43
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Scott Hamilton. - I assume Brian Boitano had a similar reception after his Olympic Gold.


    And I ask again - what has Evan done for American Skating fans? His win has not made NBC rethink their schedule for next year or beyond.

    I'm American - die hard patriotic - but I didn't swell with more pride because an American won. I was excited for my FAVORITE to win. Country doesn't matter (nor should it, IMHO, a COUNTRY does not make one great.)

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Off topic, but this is an issue that the moderators have a heck of a tme with, when it gets out of hand. There is such a fine line between criticizing the criticism and criticizing the criticizer.

    Poster A: Lysacek is great!
    Poster B: Lysacek stinks.
    Poster A: You are an idiot.

    Poster B's post is unhelpful and contributes nothing of value to the discussion. But at least it is on topic, the topic being Lysacek.

    But Poster A's retort is at fault, too, becuse the subject of his sentence is "you," not Lysacek.

    But it is often hard to split hairs this way. For some reason, I think it is 100% better to say. "What you just said about Lysacek is stupid," than to say, "You are stupid for saying that about Lysacek."
    Spoken like the true moderator you are. We thank you all!

    Everyone should feel to express their opinion be it "gushy" or otherwise. and be mindful that though not everyone agrees with every one else, it's OK to agree to disagree. Vent if you will, but do it kindly!

    For me, it's not the criticism that matters, but as you say, the WAY it's phrased. Constructive criticism is helpful and welcome. Kindness is always best, imo!

    Destructive criticism for it's own sake is exactly that - destructive and furthermore, depressing. Who needs that in this day and age? There's enough of that in the "real" world. It's nice to be able to enjoy each other and share thoughts and ideas on something we all have in common - our love of figure skating and those who do it so well.

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
    What's wrong is that when any top skater gets a fan post or any kind of praise, someone immediately goes out of their way to respond with how much they dislike that skater.
    RE: what's wrong with hero worship?

    I was speaking more generically in the world at large than specific to this forum, but I get your point, which is sadly, true enough!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •