Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Evan Lysacek

Medalist
    You know, reading this thread I came across some posts stating that as an athlete wins the Worlds and even Olys his/her country does not have any relation to this great achievement and therefore has absolutely nothing to be proud for! But the athlete, in our case f.skater,has not become a winner at once, on the empty place, but grown as a person and developed as a winner-skater on the basis of cultural and sporting traditions of his country,he/she has fought not only for his/her personal win, but also the victory of his/her homeland-that is why sportsmen from different countries so often cry, standing on the top step of the podiums, and he/she is happy not only for dear self but becouse he/she has brought victory for his/her country! And Evan looked totally different out there on the podium, just think: he has become the first American World champion since back 1996, after 13 years!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by elanna View Post
    You know, reading this thread I came across some posts stating that as an athlete wins the Worlds and even Olys his/her country does not have any relation to this great achievement and therefore has absolutely nothing to be proud for! But the athlete, in our case f.skater,has not become a winner at once, on the empty place, but grown as a person and developed as a winner-skater on the basis of cultural and sporting traditions of his country,he/she has fought not only for his/her personal win, but also the victory of his/her homeland-that is why sportsmen from different countries so often cry, standing on the top step of the podiums, and he/she is happy not only for dear self but becouse he/she has brought victory for his/her country! And Evan looked totally different out there on the podium, just think: he has become the first American World champion since back 1996, after 13 years!
    Well said! Thank you!

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    While I am not the biggest fan of Evan...I have to give him props. He won the world championship and I hope that he has an excellent year and medals at the Olympics.

Custom Title
    I don't think taking pride in Evan's winning of the world title -- or rooting for U.S. skaters in general -- is jingoistic or uber-patriotic. Many fans are members of USFS themselves, and volunteer or donate money regularly to the memorial fund, making it especially rewarding to see U.S. skaters reach their goals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    I don't think taking pride in Evan's winning of the world title -- or rooting for U.S. skaters in general -- is jingoistic or uber-patriotic. Many fans are members of USFS themselves, and volunteer or donate money regularly to the memorial fund, making it especially rewarding to see U.S. skaters reach their goals.
    Good point!

I hesitate to bring this up so I'll state for the record I'm not anti-Canadian fans. I'm glad they are as enthusisatic about the sport as they are.

But, that said, it's been my experience that if you want nationalistic fans, go to Canada where they are totally into supporting their own. Not a problem for me, but I recall sitting next to a Canadian fan at Skate Canada who was surprised that I cheered for non-American skaters as well. She ONLY cheered for the Canadians and seemed proud of it.

I've never been in a more biased arena in my life than the one in Ottawa! Fact - not fiction. I was there.

OTOH, in Everett, for Skate America, the crowd was loudly vocal for skaters from ALL countries, not just their own.

Just food for thought. Not trying to make any particular point here. Plus, I don't want to take the thread off course.
    Last edited by merrybari; 05-13-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elanna View Post

I don't think anyone is denying he had a great end to his season and that it was a triumphant accomplishment. I was bouncing up and down with the results (much to the frustration of my aunt, on whose bed i was bouncing!). I've not seen anywhere on this thread or elsewhere where his win has been diminished. (perhaps maybe the play by play thread from that night, but over all the disappointment of that night was civil).

I'm glad people got to see him and that he did well at this latest event. I guess we could have ignored the "best technique comment" but even as a fan I felt compared to say something...

Evan is world champion, that can never be taken away. It's something he should be proud of. He works extremely hard and fought some long odds...

Custom Title
    Another observation. I seem to be full of those today.

The poster of the "best technique" opinion was stating just that with the qualifier "that I have seen." I see no reason to take exception to the comment at all, whether you prefer his style over someone else's or not. It was a statement of opinion rather than fact. JMHO.

Rinkside

technique

As far as favorites are concerned, I used to absolutely be nuts for Paul Wylie and he did fall alot. But that didn't matter to me I just loved the guy, the skater and his skating. I would pray for him; because that is what I do. He was in our local ice show and he was fantastic. My daughter skated awhile in Massachusetts and he was terrific there to; I thought....on and off the ice. I wanted him to win; I wanted him to succeed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by merrybari View Post
    Another observation. I seem to be full of those today.

The poster of the "best technique" opinion was stating just that with the qualifier "that I have seen." I see no reason to take exception to the comment at all, whether you prefer his style over someone else's or not. It was a statement of opinion rather than fact. JMHO.
    And because it was an opinion, others with differing opinions are still allowed to disagree and state their own opinions nonetheless

And I am not, um, Evan's biggest fan and will have to disagree with anyone who thinks he has the best technique, but I am still glad to see that other people enjoy him and his skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    And because it was an opinion, others with differing opinions are still allowed to disagree and state their own opinions nonetheless
    Absolutely agree! That's what makes life so interesting.

I am a fan of many skaters, irrespective of their nationalities. Of course I want the USA team to do very well, always! Currently I am also pulling the most for Patrick Chan and Takahiko Kozuka on the men's side. That said, I was thrilled that Evan won Worlds. He had a tough season, and it was so heartening to see how he rebounded in LA. We had seen Evan at practice sessions during 2007 Skate America, and were so impressed with his work ethic, intensity, and focus. I hope he has a terrific Olympic season and beyond.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4