Is there any chance for the best Ice Dancers to win the Olympics? | Golden Skate

Is there any chance for the best Ice Dancers to win the Olympics?

Big Deal

Final Flight
I'm just curious to know that, what do you think about this question?

Is there a slight chance to win the OGM by the one who will be the best on that competition?

Another question is that who do you think has the ability to do so?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Is there a slight chance to win the OGM by the one who will be the best on that competition?
Yes. If the best happen to be V/M, D/S (Russian or French) or B/A, there's an excellent chance! Otherwise, not so much :biggrin:.

I think it'll be V/M. Up until last month I'd have picked Isabelle and Olivier, but with her pregnancy I think a medal of any color would be an amazing accomplishment, and the gold unlikely.

Medusa

Record Breaker
The Russian D/S are handicapped too, as far as I know Shabalin is still in Germany for treatment and they haven't been really training since Worlds.

Oksana, please tell us what's going on with Maxim. Is he still suffering from the injury?
[Oksana, 05 May 2009]: Dasha, unfortunately the injury is still bothering him, that's why he needs to undergo treatment in order to recover completely and be able to carry on living and training in peace.

Oksana, Maxim, again congratulations to you! What are your plans for vacation?
[Oksana, 05 May 2009]: Once again, thanks to all of you for congratulating us. Just being in Moscow is a holiday to me. I'd love to go to the beach, but it's impossible to make plans since we don't know how long Max's treatment period will extend.

Оксаночка, when are you going back to the US?
[Oksana, 05 May 2009]: Lucia, as soon as Maxim comes back from Germany we will head to the US to start preparation and training for the Olympic season.

From the official website.

gocaroline

On the Ice
I always feel it's so difficult to judge which team is the best for icedancing. All of them, D/S (russian and french) and B/A and V/M are great. (However I never get the other russian team K/K?) But when I first saw V/M for 2008 Worlds, with the music from movie " Les parapluies de Cherbourg", they just took my breath away. There is just something so special and ethereal, unbelieveable chemistry:love::love::love:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The Russian D/S are handicapped too, as far as I know Shabalin is still in Germany for treatment and they haven't been really training since Worlds. .
That's why I think it'll be V/M. The games are in Canada and both D/S teams might not be in top shape (at least Isabelle's reason is a happy one). I think politically, the winner will likely come out of the four teams I listed. The only thing that might happen is D/S being injured and the Russian Fed throwing their support behind K/N, who will then rise Phoenix-like from the 6th place ashes ;).

It's very difficult to judge Skate Dance.

The top 10 Dance Teams have been around for some time. They all have deep edges. They all know how to compete. They all have musicality. They all have good coaches. They all have sensible costumes. They are all Seniors and have all the necessary technique.

However, one may be more entertaining than another, but is that important in judging?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If the best team on the day is also the one that the behind the scenes deal making is favoring, absolutely! I don't think anyone thinks Anissina & Peizerat shouldn't have won the Olympics in 2002! :laugh:

merrybari

Final Flight
I always feel it's so difficult to judge which team is the best for icedancing. All of them, D/S (russian and french) and B/A and V/M are great. (However I never get the other russian team K/K?) But when I first saw V/M for 2008 Worlds, with the music from movie " Les parapluies de Cherbourg", they just took my breath away. There is just something so special and ethereal, unbelieveable chemistry:love::love::love:

I too was mesmerized by V/M's Cherbourg routine. However, I haven't been so much impressed by anything they've brought to the ice since. It is true, for me, that the music choices make a big difference on the impact. They really internalized that one. Maybe not so much any of those since.

Wrlmy

Medalist
It depends on who you think is the best team:biggrin:

btw, I love love V/M's pink floyd routine. It was so modern and sophisticated. Difficult lifts were so well integrated into the program. Only if they'd been better trained..

Audrey19

On the Ice
I don't think so. My worst possible scenario came true at worlds when Domnina & Shabalin were handed the title, and I guess the same thing will happen at the olympics. As long as they show up, they'll win. Of course, I sincerely hope that this won't happen, but I've become very pessimistic after worlds.
Probably, if they manage to be in shape Delobel & Schoenfelder might have chance. But I don't see that happen.

elanna

Rinkside
I don't think so. My worst possible scenario came true at worlds when Domnina & Shabalin were handed the title, and I guess the same thing will happen at the olympics. As long as they show up, they'll win. Of course, I sincerely hope that this won't happen, but I've become very pessimistic after worlds.

Don`t worry now, I think the worst scenario awaits us at the Olympics, when Domnina/Shabalin would be exchanged for gold for Plushenko:p

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
depends. If they are american, no. I don't even think Virtue and Moir would be allowed to win...but it is hard to say. They have been overscored in the recent past. I say the gold will be handed to the russians woth the french a ? since her pregnancy.

janetfan

Match Penalty
If the question was "is there any chance for the dance team that skates the best at the Olympics to win the gold medal," I would cross my fingers and give an optimistic answer of yes. Of course there is a chance, particularly if one of the 3-4 established favorites skate very well.
But the placement at Worlds was somewhat disappointing to many and I can also believe it could be similar at the Olympics. Backroom deals/bloc voting along with judges not wanting to see anything new are two of the problems that continue to haunt the dance competition. Peolple sometimes say it is harder to judge dance and I agree with that. It has become almost impossible here in USA as we barely see the competition. I always found watching the compulsories was a good way to get a handle on who was skating well and who was sloppy (and not being penalized). It is hard to see who deserves the medals when you only see the part of the competition.

Last edited: