Governor Terminator | Golden Skate

Governor Terminator

CNN is reporting that Arnold Schwarznegger has been elected California's new governor in the recall election. Boy, California politics are so dull!

BTW, those of you are are breathing a sigh of relief that you have to be born in the US to be elected President, start breathing a sigh of something else. Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah has introduced a bill to amend the constitution so that someone just has to be a US citizen, which Arnold is. So we still might have a Kennedy in the White House, even if she's Eunice's daugher, her maiden name is Shriver, and she's First Lady not the prez.
Rgirl

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I hope Governor Arnie does not ruin the film industry here in "Hollywood North." He already indicated this would be one of his tasks in his campaign.

Lad,
It's good to know Arnold has his priorities straight:rolleye: Yeah, better keep Canada from getting its paltry share of filmmaking dollars. Has he called Canadians "a bunch of girly men" yet?
Rgirl

daniela

Spectator
Hi

We (Austria) are proud that Arnold is Governoer. I hope he is better as Governoer actor. I don´t like his films

Daniela

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah has introduced a bill to amend the constitution so that someone just has to be a US citizen, which Arnold is.
It's even funnier than that. Accordin to Hatch's proposal, one would have to be a citizen for 20 years, which is EXACTLY how long Arnie has been governor.

BTW, I would support an ammendment that would allow the run for the oval office anyone who is is a US citizen when he/she comes of age.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hi Daniela and welcome to Golden Skate........my family has been a fan of Gov. Schwarzenegger and his films for years (my son has met him and says he seems like a nice guy)........I'm sure, with the right advisers, he'll do fine...........42

windspirit

On the Ice
Hi, Daniela. Welcome to GS! :) Btw, I'm not surprised you feel proud of Arnold, after all, he's a great example of a self-made man. He went against the odds, and he's accomplished a lot.

Rgirl, I don't know how I feel about Orrin Hatch's idea... Hmm, let's see... OK, I'm against it. I may be wrong, but I think that unless you were born in a particular country you can't feel that degree of commitment (for lack of the word) people who were born in it feel. And President can't have any second thoughts, the country s/he's the President of must be the one and only for him/her. Well, that's how I feel right now. Maybe I'll change my mind in the future (when I decide to become President of the USA ;) ).

Btw, if someone as famous as Arnold were a candidate for President, I think he'd have a great chance to win (I mean, people would vote for his famous face more than his program -- which could be very good as well as... average or bad). As RealtorGal already wrote: "They seem to be under the impression that The Terminator is going to be running the State and that a Happy Hollywood Ending is imminent." And that would be the case if we were to become President. I'll bet that many people don't even know what his program is.

Btw, I've seen it in another country already. I don't remember if the person (who had money, and people thought that because of that he'd be good President, and -- by association -- they'd be wealthy, too) in question was born abroad or he was just living his whole life in another country, but he managed to woo the people and because of him the best candidate lost. So, in the second round there was the money man and, um... a simple man. Because the money man was a very shady figure (I don't remember the details now, but what came out later wasn't good), the people who would've voted for the best candidate (if he had stayed), rushed to vote for the simple man. The simple man won. Simple people loved him (and many people abroad thought highly of him; they had no idea that he couldn't even speak properly in his own language, since the translations were grammatically correct -- luckily enough he didn't "know" any foreign languages). The man didn't know anything about politics. Thank God for the people around him, and that it's all in the past. And no, I'm not naming any names. :p

Btw, I forgot to add that the simple man was very famous for something he did earlier, that's why most people voted for him. He didn't even have high school education. That's what fame can do.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Rgirl:

I don't understand what you mean here. Are you being sarcastic or cute? But Canada's film industry is far from paltry and there are a lot of movies filmed here - take for example the recent Kevin Costner film "Open Range" - made in Alberta. There are a lot of people employed in the movie industry. Arnold himself used to rave about making movies here in British Columbia until of course, he decided to get into politics. It will be intresting to see what sort of Governor he turns out to be.

dfj

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
I hope Governor Arnie does not ruin the film industry here in "Hollywood North." He already indicated this would be one of his tasks in his campaign.

Don't remember what channel I was watching this morning, but heard one of AS's people refer to Vancouver as "Hongcouver" - what a classless bunch.

Those in the Canadian film industry (and it is huge) had better keep a very close eye on their jobs.

Ladskater said:
Rgirl: I don't understand what you mean here. Are you being sarcastic or cute?
I was trying--though not very successfully, lol--to be ironic. When I said "Canada's paltry film dollars" I meant relative to the super mega dollars in Hollywood. The reason so many movies go to Canada to film is to get away from all the BS, politics, and super high costs of Hollywood. Filmmakers want a friendly, welcoming atmosphere in which to make their films and Canada offers this. I don't like the idea of a politician trying to legislate where people can make films, especially when it means that the giant movie-making machine in his state gets all the benefits. It would be like the governor of Nevada being able to legislate that gambling can only take place in Las Vegas. What business does the governor of any US state have telling another country what kind of industries they can have? That was my point.

Having said all that, I hope Arnold does well for the sake of Californians--and I think he can do that and leave Canada's film industry alone. I just don't know where he stands on the issues, but then I guess that's what I winning politician does these days.
Rgirl