Elena Sokolova injured | Golden Skate

Elena Sokolova injured

icenut84

Final Flight
Elena Sokolova has just undergone surgery on her leg to repair a torn ligament. Apparently the surgery went very well and she will be back on the ice soon. There's a thread on FSU that says this, and that the information came from her agent. I guess this explains her poor performance at Campbells.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7285

She's also apparently had to pull out of Finlandia Trophy.

Get well soon Elena!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Thanks for the info! I really hope she gets better. So many skaters have had their careers marred by injuries. Though, on the plus side, she has a very experienced coach (Kudryavtsev), who hopefully won't let her overtrain.

That's a bummer! Elena is a top contender for World's gold, and I hate to see her not compete for it. She was so happy at World's DC to be on the podium and with silver! Nice lady.

Joe

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Thanks for the link. That explains Campbells. I had been wondering about her poor showing there. It seemed odd to me that she'd show up out of shape and not doing the jumps that vaulted her into the international rankings. I would have expected the fire she showed at worlds to have continued and for her to have show up at Campbells like Sasha. An injury could explain it. I hope she recovers quickly.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Thanks for the info icenut. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

I guess that means she's out of the Grand Prix. She was scheduled for SC, Cup of Russia, and NHK. Does this mean the next best finisher from last Worlds (Jennifer Robinson of Canada) is now seeded or is it too late? Will Elena recover in time for Russian Nationals which are usually in December? If not, what will the Russian Federation do?

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
What a blow! She was the "come back" kid last year. After such a brilliant return. I wish her well in the upcoming season.

skatepixie

On the Ice
lavender said:
Those darn 3/3 combos.

How do you know that thats what happened. I know a girl who's worst injury, which needed a major operation, occured when she steped off the ice into a puddle, sliped, fell, and broke her leg. I know a competitive skater who lost the chance to compete at a summer comp because she tripped over her German Shepherd. You never know for sure what causes these things. It could have been the 3/3s, but it could have been any # of other things too!

icenut84

Final Flight
hrmsk8ngnutt said:
I guess that means she's out of the Grand Prix. She was scheduled for SC, Cup of Russia, and NHK. Does this mean the next best finisher from last Worlds (Jennifer Robinson of Canada) is now seeded or is it too late? Will Elena recover in time for Russian Nationals which are usually in December? If not, what will the Russian Federation do?

The info said that she would hopefully be back on the ice soon, and doesn't say she's pulling out of the GP, so hopefully she'll be recovered in time to train and compete. (I think Finlandia is too soon for her to be recovered, maybe?) If not, I'm sure she'll be ok by Russian Nationals.

wvgal57

On the Ice
Elena's injury

Elena actually mentioned after Worlds last year that she was having knee surgery as soon as she returned to Moscow. She was given the opportunity to do COI though and must have made the decision to delay her surgery and see how the knee went. I understand that she maintained a pretty high degree of difficulty in her jumps while she toured and she did her long program during the tour. She most likely has had no down time at all and went straight into training for this season...

Ligament repair can do be done laparoscopically and with some off ice rehab she most likely will be back on the ice for perhaps a couple of GP events and surely by Russian Nationals.

Brandenburg

Rinkside
Windspirit - I'm wondering too if we've been sold a bill of goods about her injury. She skated perfectly well at Viktory for Kids (Oct. 4)and again at the show in St. P (Oct. 10). I don't see how there could have been any significant procedure to a ligament or muscle in the middle. Would any good doctor have let someone risk reinjuring something that was just healing for a few days. Or maybe the release was just off and she is having surgery after the Dmitriev show.

Last edited:
She definitely looked as if she were in pain after she finished her skate at Campbell's and pretty much limped off the ice.

As for 3/3s being the cause or not, as 3/3s have increased in ladies skating, so has the rate and severity of injury. Often although the actual event that causes an injury can be something as simple as doing a bow, the tissues have been pushed to the breaking point, so to speak, by some high intensity, high repetition activity, such as 3/3s. Though we can't prove what caused Elena's injury, statistically and biomechanically 3/3s are the primary suspect, at least IMO.

I don't know anything about the shows and dates and how she skated, but if she had surgery, I wish her the best for her recovery.
Rgirl

Watching her skate at Campbells, I sensed it was either a pulled ligament or just plain jet lag. I certainly didn't think her skating went down hill. I agree with Windspirit and quetion the skate on October 10 a few days after surgery, epecially if, as wvgal, mentioned that it was knee surgery. Trust me, knee surgery is tough and immediate recovery has not yet been discovered.

Joe