Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Classical music you love and would like someone to skate to...

Custom Title
    practising Smetana's Macbeth and the Witches...

Classical music you love and would like someone to skate to...

I think the title says it all! If you want suggest a skater to skate to the music as well...

Custom Title
    Albinoni, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Strauss, Vivaldi
    Last edited by gio; 02-01-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Greensleeves.

1812 Overture... skate it seriously or tongue in cheek, I don't care I love the music!

R.Straus' opening of Don Juan into the Trio from Der Rozenkavalier. Definitely a Kwan piece. I thik Lepisto could do it.

A good cut of Tchaikowsky's 6th and 5th Symphinies. I think Johnny could do it.

A good selection of Cole Porter with good orchestration for McL and Bru.

Porter's Begjuin the Beguine for The Hubbells. Johnny Mathis version if singing is permitted.

Memory, from Cats
    Chariots of Fire theme.

I would love to see someone skate to this instrumental piece. Please listen and see if it is skatable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqcoEEQgwGw
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 02-01-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: merging

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Telemann's Water Music, Overture in C Major, particularly the Gavotte & the sleeping and waking Thetis sections.

Rinkside
    There are a lot of pieces of classical music I would love to see skaters use. Unfortunately. most are melodies from operas or ballets and there seem to be so many people hung up on literal interpretation of story lines, rather than simply personal expression of the music itself, that I would be hesitant to suggest them.

Rinkside
    Wagner, most definitely. Prelude to Act III of Lohengrin, for example (the rousing section prior to the wedding march, not the wedding march itself). Lots of great instrumental music in Wagner, to say nothing of all of the magnificent music that could be performed without the vocal parts.

Has any skater ever performed to Wagner?

Beethoven too. 1st movement of the Pastoral, 4th movement of the 7th (which Weber called "the apotheosis of the dance"), and let's not forget that the opening of the Eroica is in 3/4 time.

Quote Originally Posted by kioewen View Post
    Wagner, most definitely. Prelude to Act III of Lohengrin, for example (the rousing section prior to the wedding march, not the wedding march itself). Lots of great instrumental music in Wagner, to say nothing of all of the magnificent music that could be performed without the vocal parts.

Beethoven too. 1st movement of the Pastoral, 4th movement of the 7th (which Weber called "the apotheosis of the dance"), and let's not forget that the opening of the Eroica is in 3/4 time.
    Mathman and I talked a bit about Wagner on another thread. A few skaters did use his music.

Combinin the Eroica and Pastoral would be super with the right cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by jlmart View Post
    There are a lot of pieces of classical music I would love to see skaters use. Unfortunately. most are melodies from operas or ballets and there seem to be so many people hung up on literal interpretation of story lines, rather than simply personal expression of the music itself, that I would be hesitant to suggest them.
    It's that literal interpretation that kills the performance especially for those who know the story lines. But the story lines help the young skaters to do something with the music. The older skaters should know better. JMO.

Custom Title
    Anything by Chopin.

mmmmm....Donut spin :) Kimmie Fan's Avatar
    Tristan and Isolde by Wagner.

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony, 3rd movement. I've never seen anyone skate to that before, and it's such a beautiful piece.

Custom Title
    Brahms: variation on theme by haydn
    Mendelssohn: midsummer night's dream.
    Saint-saens: violin concerto second movement.
    Elgar: Serenade for strings (adagietto)

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kioewen View Post

Ah, a kindred spirit. Welcome to GS! See the thread on Rachael Flatt where Wagner is vetted!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie Fan View Post
    Tristan and Isolde by Wagner.
    Ahhhh!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast