Weir's "Pop Star on Ice" shows hard work behind the glamour | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Weir's "Pop Star on Ice" shows hard work behind the glamour

momjudi

On the Ice
Thank you for the review, looking forward to reading more. I know Johnny was not there last night but any others from the film there?

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
For everybody that would like to read more reviews, I've found several more over on www.fsuniverse.net (I think one or two might be from Johnny's Angels themselves. :) On that note, I would like to point out that I am a skating fan first & foremost, not a particular fan of one individual skater, which is why I've never had an avatar of a skater underneath my name.

Regards the film, I would highly recommend the film to figure skating fans in general. This opportunity rarely, if ever, comes about, so if you get the chance to see it, go for it!

Now that I've had a pleasant night of rest, I recalled a few things I forgot to mention in my earlier review, namely I recall one part in the film wherein Johnny was staying at some hotel (most likely for a competition) & he had an interesting conversation with a Polish woman whom worked at the hotel (think she was a maid). It was touching. She told Johnny in her broken English how much she had enjoyed seeing his SP skate at the 2006 Olympics, and not to give up, believe in yourself, etc. Lol, then right after she left she immediately knocked on the door to ask for an autograph for "Emily". :biggrin: I liked seeing that side of Johnny. His kindness, his genuine appreciation of his fans, that made a deep impression with me personally. Just thought I would share.

One other incident popped out at me ~ Johnny at Cup of Russia ~ sitting with Brian Joubert & another medal winner up on the conference stage. A Russian commentator asked him in Russian something about what did he, Johnny, need to do in order to compete with Brian mentally & physically. Kinda a rude question, and Johnny had a very short response back. You could tell he was miffed, not only in his response, but the glare he gave the guy. Even Brian, sitting next to him, looked at Johnny differently as he drank his cup of water. That incident just stood out to me ~ first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning.:laugh:

Oh yeah, for those fashionistas, there was a 10-minute segment of Johnny getting all dolled up to go to a Fashion Show to walk on the catwalk, complete with full-blown makeup & outrageous outfit that glowed in the dark!:eek:

That's all for now. If I think of anything else, I will make sure to post. And will answer any questions anybody has when I get the time. I'm taking the rest of the day off to spend with family due to it being Memorial Day. I hope everybody has an enjoyable Memorial Day Weekend.

P.S. there was a Q&A after the film ended with the two producers of the show, but we couldn't make it, so left right after the film ended, however several fans over on www.fsuniverse.net attended it; it's worth a good read. :)

taylorfax

On the Ice
Kinda a rude question, and Johnny had a very short response back. You could tell he was miffed, not only in his response, but the glare he gave the guy. Even Brian, sitting next to him, looked at Johnny differently as he drank his cup of water.
ehheh Johnny's got some edge. But then, he always has.

Seriously, I want to thank you for all the wonderful stuff you've managed to write down for us! All the reports will have to suffice until the rest of us get to see it. And man do I want to see it.

gocaroline

On the Ice
Thank you Nadine for the wonderful review! Can't wait to see it:love: And I agree Johnny has tremendous pure raw talent. I became his fan right away when I first watched his program in 2004. However some of my friends decide not to be his fan (because I never get it that how can you not be after you saw his performance, but that's just me:). Good luck to him for 2010 Ogame.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks everybody for the kind comments, much appreciated. :)

I just want to give back to GoldenSkate in any way that I can, as it has been my pleasure to read this board over the years, and it's the only board I've ever posted at (exception being Adrian Chew's fantastic board back in 1998/1999) ~ all the interesting articles, the play-by-plays, et al ~ I can't thank everybody enough for all that. And since I live in Seattle, and Johnny's premiere would be here, I thought "aha", I can at least give a review. After all that GS has done for me throughout the years, I wanted to give back, no matter how little.

On a final note, I would strongly suggest *NOT* to bring kids/little children to the film, as I saw a few little ones at the premiere. I personally don't think some of the scenes are appropriate for them. JMHO.

P.S. there was a strong turn out of the gay community at the film, rightly so, as the Egyptian Theatre is located on Broadway in Seattle, which is a well-known gay area/hangout/whatever you call it. I only mention this because I noticed that the film is listed as documentary/gay,lesbian. I think this was an appropriate rating of it. Once again, JMHO.

momjudi

On the Ice
Nadine, thank you again for the review, curious as to what scenes do you consider inappropriate for young children? Does the film have a rating or is that not necessary for a documentary?

wishmaker

Rinkside
I guess Johnny is doing a great job in promoting Figure Skating and definitely US Figure Skating. He really is proving and has proven that artistry and sports can be fused. Figure Skating is really complex as there are people who would like to watch sports mixed with artistry and Johnny has just been the ambassador for it. Gender definity, plain or elaborate costumes, Johnny has shown that you don't have to be ashamed of who you are and what your sense identity is. He must be given a commendation among/above all skaters because he has stood up and survived all the past and present controversies of figure skating. I would be glad for him to win the Gold for the Olys. He deserves it. Through all the years and gossips and controversies, he has proven that there is a JOHNNY WEIR. Family plays a vital part in one's life and with Johnny, he has shown through the documentary that with a strong family relationship through all the hardships/happy and sad times, all these will mold you both mentally and emotionally to go through what road you have chosen in life. GOOD FOR YOU JOHNNY !!!!!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Nadine, thank you again for the review, curious as to what scenes do you consider inappropriate for young children? Does the film have a rating or is that not necessary for a documentary?

After musing your question over, momjudi, I'd have to honestly say it's an individual judgement call. Personally, I'd suggest having the adult go see the movie first & foremost, and if the adult thinks it is appropriate for his/her child, then so be it. That's up to the adult to decide. And, no, the documentary does not have a rating.

I personally really enjoyed it, and will say again that I highly recommend it to all *adult* figure skating fans. There's something for everyone. :)

Johnny has all the talent in the world, I can see why people get frustrated with him. I'm one of them, lol, as I would like to see him fulfill his potential, which IMHO includes an Olympic medal, of any color. If he worked the hardest he's ever worked in his life, even when he gets tired, I could see him on the very top of the podium.

By the way, I love the song that played at the very end of the movie, reminded me of one of my favorite songs, written & sung by Eminem of all people. :) "Lose Yourself"

momjudi

On the Ice
Errr. So I can only see this movie in WA, RI, NY, MA, MD and CA? ...

Right now the movie is only being shown at film festivals, no word yet if it will be released to general theaters. The film will be shown on the Sundance Channel in the fall and will be released as a dvd eventually.