Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Where are Russian Ladies & Men?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I would love to see as many youtubes of the Russian Nationals as possible. Lutai can be impressive as well as Borodulin.
    http://rutube.ru/search.html?search=...rlv&category=0 -
    some vids from 2009 Nationals - Voronov, Khokhlova & Novitski, Rubleva & Shefer

Lutai: http://rutube.ru/search.html?search=...rlv&category=0 (though no Nationals)

Tuktamysheva: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...%B2%D0%B0&aq=f

Custom Title
    Wasn't Artur Gachinsky supposed to be the next best hope? He was touring in ice shows at the age of 13, but he spent most of last season on the injured list.

Custom Title
    ^ He still qualified to JGPF, but it's never a good indicator of his future career especially considering Sasha Uspenski used to rule the junior field.
    I believe he's the same age as Dennis Ten, but Ten seems far more advanced at this point.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    With the ages of the National Champions.......look out for Russia in 2014 and 2018!!!!

Custom Title
    I think its a cyclical thing. Same thing with the american skaters. There are dry spells and then there are bursts of awesomeness.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Fashionista View Post
    And talking about the "bad 90's" I'd like to add that that time children's sport almost disappeared, a lot of ice rinks all over the country were closed and as it was mentioned earlier governmental sponsorship diminished dramatically.
    I think that is the main reason. I can remember when I was a child there were ice rinks nearly in every big town in Russia but during the 90's they closed because there were no money (both Plushenko and Marinin had to leave Volgograd because the ice rink there closed, e.g.). During the last years there were some rinks opened again because figure skating became more popular again.

As for Leonova... Let's see next year. I really wish that she will go on with the same and even better results. But I'm not sure, last year there was Voronov and he also finished 4th at Europeans and 7th at Worlds plus won a silver medal at TEB and this season? Middle of nowhere...

Thanks Ptichka for the videos. I would like, though, the videos of the upcoming Russian Nationals when they are ready. I think Lutai is getting on in years and this maybe his last shot for an Oly medal.

Custom Title
    Lutai is 22, which makes him younger than Weir, Lysacek and Abbott.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Lutai is 22, which makes him younger than Weir, Lysacek and Abbott.
    Sorry about that. I had read somewhere that he was 28. Anyway, it's good news and he can be youthful at his comps this season.

Custom Title
    Thanks, Ptichka! Like Joe, I am eagerly awaiting the results of the coming Russian Nationals. If, indeed, Yevgeny Plushenko is to be one of Russia's two Olympic competitors in 2010, then that will up the pressure on the other men greatly, at RN.

The Nationals do not always tell the whole story, though. Some people who perform well at home, have nervousness problems when performing at the big international events. Because of this, it is a tough job to pick *the* right one to send to the Olys. I am favoring more than one of the competitors, each one for a specific reason. It looks right now as though the biggest contest will be between Lutai and Voronov. I cannot help liking Grigoriyev; I think he's got the drive that is needed, but I am not sure he is ready yet for the Big One. Like others, I was unpleasantly surprised by what happened to Voronov in the FS at Worlds. Because Gryazev has shown a meltdown tendency in the past at international events, I think what happened to Voronov will matter to those doing the judging about whom to send to the Olys. Lutai showed good heart in his skating at Worlds; I would say that he came through for them, but of course they will be hoping for placement on the podium. The last Russian nationals were in December '08, so that leaves plenty of time for improvement for everybody. This is a very suspenseful and exciting situation for me.
    Last edited by Dodhiyel; 05-25-2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Spelling typo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2