Mirai Nagasu | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu

Didn't Evan have a foot problem or some sort of injury. I think that's why he left the quad out. It maybe, since he hasn't practice it, he may have lost it and demands more work on it. his quad on a good day was better than his 3A.

If he feels the quad is back, I do not think Carroll will object.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would not be surprised, if Lysacek will start practicing especially the quad and triple axel after his injury has healed fully. I sure hope that he will patiently wait and not start practicing too soon.

vlaurend

Final Flight
The reports are true: Mirai was not practicing very much in the 2009 season and was refusing to do program run-throughs (especially long program). In light of how little training she was doing, the underrotated jumps were to be expected and she should have been very happy to have skated as well as she did at Nationals. Also, she apparently can be a "headcase" before competitions, just usually not in public.
I think she is a beautiful and extremely talented skater and I hope she pulls it all together this season. If a coaching change helps her feel like this season will be different and better, I hope that works for her. Unfortunately, the problems she had this year were not because of her coach, but because she and her parents wouldn't listen to her coach.

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The reports are true: Mirai was not practicing very much in the 2009 season and was refusing to do program run-throughs (especially long program). In light of how little training she was doing, the underrotated jumps were to be expected and she should have been very happy to have skated as well as she did at Nationals.

I have no inside information, but I had read that she had an injury, but insisted on training through it. I had read that Mirai's coach wanted her to take it easy.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The reports are true: Mirai was not practicing very much in the 2009 season and was refusing to do program run-throughs (especially long program). .

I think that may have had to do with her injury. Also Frank Carroll noted that Mirai's practice rink was typically full of other skaters - and that she will be in a totally different environment at his training center. She will be able to do multiple run throughs of her programs with the ice to herself.
The article I mentioned was from right after Mirai won Natls and didn't have anything to do with last season. It said that Mirai is very active and heavily involved in school and other activities besides skating. She never was involved in the 4-6 hour, 5 day a week training regimen many other skaters committ to.
Maybe the added importance of this season along with a new training environment will lead to Mirai training harder and better than in the past. If she is healthy and clicks with her new coach who can say what her limits may be?