Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mirai Nagasu

Quote Originally Posted by visaliakid View Post
    Don't you just love how some posters take an interesting question and hi-jack it by changing the context and then the question never gets answered. My biggest pet peeve with many skating forums is the proclivity for some to continually do this. It's like come on people FOCUS!
    I'm glad you managed to answer the question with your post then

Ant

Custom Title
    To sum up:

Q = "Did Mirai change coaches?"

A = "Yes." She'll begin working with Frank Carroll beginning June 15th.

Now on to the discussion and speculation - which we love so well.

Custom Title
    Doesnt he coach another Senior lady who did pretty well at Nationals?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginask8s View Post
    Doesnt he coach another Senior lady who did pretty well at Nationals?
    Laney Diggs? She did well for her.

Bebe Liang has also been Frank's student but someone else mentioned they hadn't see her around the rink lately

Custom Title
    USFS press release about Nagasu's coaching change: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=43068

Phil Hersh has published comments from Charlene Wong and Frank Carroll: http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...-frank-ca.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Phil Hersh has published comments from Charlene Wong and Frank Carroll: http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...-frank-ca.html
    Thanks for the links. On a non-Nagasu note - this
    Carroll said an MRI showed Lysacek's injury was not a stress fracture, as the skater thought after winning the 2009 world title, but rather acute inflammation of tendons and ligaments in the left foot. ``He will take a month off,'' Carroll said.
    sounds a lot less dramatic then "fracture" (and a lot less manly).

I am glad that Carroll wants to reduce the people who give Nagasu an input. I always doubt that it works if a dozen people coach one person (who else do we know with huge teams, Czisny, Ponsero - not really posterchildren for successful compeitions).

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    (and a lot less manly).
    Truly. Real men don't get tendonitis, they get their teeth knocked down their throats.

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93
    Laney Diggs?
    She got tenth at U.S. nationals last year. She has a good flip and an OK Lutz. She could be in the picture this season.

Custom Title
    when i asked, there didn't seem to be answer.
    now there is.
    before it was just speculation and premonition on someone's part. now it is official.
    personnally,
    i think it is good for her.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the links. On a non-Nagasu note - this
    sounds a lot less dramatic then "fracture" (and a lot less manly).
    The fact is, an acute inflammation of tendons and ligaments could be a lot worse than a stress fracture, it takes much longer time and is more difficult to heal completely. IIRC Lambiel has tendonitis in his grion.

So don't be so sarcastic. You don't appreciate his style doesn't mean he doesn't deserve your respect.

Wish both Mirai and Evan good luck in the Olypic season.
    Last edited by ae9177; 05-21-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    i am stunned that Mirai's parents would want her to "skate through her injury."
    Could it be true they wanted her to repeat as champion at any cost? She should have taken off for sure. Charlene is a great coach and a very smart lady, but then again, so is Frank (well he is not a lady).

Quote Originally Posted by ae9177 View Post
    The fact is, an acute inflammation of tendons and ligaments could be a lot worse than a stress fracture, it takes much longer time and is more difficult to heal completely. IIRC Lambiel has tendonitis in his grion.

So don't be so sarcastic. You don't appreciate his style doesn't mean he doesn't deserve your respect.
    It wasn't really meant that sarcastically - it's just an observation. Come on, all the articles after the Worlds win mention that he was so brave, that he didn't mention the injury - it was like, "Oh my God - that guy skated with a broken limb and beat everyone else in the World". To the average public a fracture sounds a lot more dramatic than a tendonitis, I know very well that a tendonitis can be as bad or in chronic cases even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    It wasn't really meant that sarcastically - it's just an observation. Come on, all the articles after the Worlds win mention that he was so brave, that he didn't mention the injury - it was like, "Oh my God - that guy skated with a broken limb and beat everyone else in the World". To the average public a fracture sounds a lot more dramatic than a tendonitis, I know very well that a tendonitis can be as bad or in chronic cases even worse.
    In my skiing days (how bad they were), we had two accidents one weekend to take home on the club bus. One had broken his shin bone. He returned to skiing next season. The other tore tendons.and came back 2 seasons later.

Good news foor Evan, btw, and good luck to Mirai with Frank Not so lucky Stephane, but happy anyway.

Custom Title
    Observation from my own severe ankle sprain - stretched ligaments, inflammation, etc - several years back. Doc said it would've been better to break it. Breaks heal - as observed above - much quicker. Sometimes ligaments never retract to former condition. Mind you I know stress fracture isn't a "break" per se, but still . . .

Glad to hear he'll take a month off to let it heal completely.

Back to topic - I think this is a great move for Mirai. And I'm glad to hear there will no longer be coaching by "committee." That has to be counter productive and confusing.

I am very happy for Mirai and hopefully she will be back healthy and training with a renewed spirit soon. Hope she will not have too much trouble with the growth spurt and that she and Frank will click with each other.
    I know potential does not win medals, nor should it - but I think Mirai has many great qualities and could be the comeback kid this season.

Nationals just keep getting more intriguing!

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Can you imagine how competitive nationals could be with a healthy Mirai in the picture? Let's hope she gets those UR issues out of the way!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast