Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Laura Lepisto's Comments about Male Skaters

Tripping on the Podium

Laura Lepisto's Comments about Male Skaters

Please read this link about Laura's comments on Male Skaters being feminine......http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Mal.../1135246111592

Well, at least she thinks French male skaters are hot. I wonder if she has anyone in particular in mind.

She should start a movement for Ladies to be the sole competitors in Figure Skating. Why not? Certainly they are followed in America with great care. Moreso than other disciplines.

Tripping on the Podium
    I know there is this freedom of speech, but with this article and with Elvis/Skate Canada still perking, I wish the figure skaters would just focus on the Oly. This controversy on being feminine and being macho really is insulting the figure skaters. Maybe there's something to be learned from all these articles - 1) will encourage and discourage figure skaters to work harder ; 2) figure skaters should be careful not to put their shoe (actually skate) in their mouth forgetting that there is a blade which is hurtful.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    I think it is funny and riddiculous. When are we going to start talking about the so called "masculine" female skaters.The fact that Luara finds the European men to be most masculine make sense since European ladies are also the most masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    She should start a movement for Ladies to be the sole competitors in Figure Skating. Why not? Certainly they are followed in America with great care. Moreso than other disciplines.
    Because in many other countries they are not the focus. For example, here in Canada we have a history of following men and pairs more so than ladies. Also, not every woman skater wants to be a singles skater. Each discipline has their own unique qualities to offer.

Custom Title
    There are a few ladies who were seen as "too masculine" and had to try and feminize their styles, eg Midori Ito, Irina Slutskaya

But I think people are getting worried about feminine male skaters because people don't like feminine men. I find that really nasty. Who are we to tell people how to act? There's nothing wrong with being "feminine", whether you're a skater or not!

Quote Originally Posted by berrycute View Post
    There are a few ladies who were seen as "too masculine" and had to try and feminize their styles, eg Midori Ito, Irina Slutskaya
    Tonya Harding, Yoshie Onda, I suspect Alena Leonova will also come under fire much like Slutskaya.

The pattern is simply this - you absolutely MUST stick to your own gender stereotypes otherwise there is something wrong with you.

Unless you absolutely blow the rest of the field away....like John Curry.

I totally agree with you berrycute it's totally wrong. The men criticised for being to "feminine" i find extremely extremely enjoyable. Equally the more "masculine" female skaters are a breath of fresh air for the plinkety plokenty piano skating ice pwincessezzzz

Ant

But I think people are getting worried about feminine male skaters because people don't like feminine men. I find that really nasty. Who are we to tell people how to act? There's nothing wrong with being "feminine", whether you're a skater or not!
    Yet they will defend the overuse of glitzy costumes for the men. No?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Yet they will defend the overuse of glitzy costumes for the men. No?
    True, but most of the criticisms for men's costuming are over how "feminine" the costumes are. I'm thinking the Swan costume Johnny wore in 2006, all the talk over that being to swan-princessy, whereas I thought fashionwise it was better than his blue Otonal outfit, which was absolutely heinous but received no nasty comments because it was more "masculine".

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    True, but most of the criticisms for men's costuming are over how "feminine" the costumes are. I'm thinking the Swan costume Johnny wore in 2006, all the talk over that being to swan-princessy, whereas I thought fashionwise it was better than his blue Otonal outfit, which was absolutely heinous but received no nasty comments because it was more "masculine".
    Masculine costumes are boring!

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Masculine costumes are boring!

I think Scott Hamilton should be put in charge of all men's costume selections.....:

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I think Scott Hamilton should be put in charge of all men's costume selections.....:
    Me, too.

http://www.soundandlightingdesign.co...20Hamilton.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    oh no, not another my eyes are dying royal blue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast